Options

Oscar.. Into The Wild "ineligible" for nomination

undone1undone1 Posts: 32
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Into The Wild, There Will Be Blood, and Enchanted were all excluded from the Original Score category this year, because they were apparently "ineligible"

I am not going to bemoan the fact that Ed has missed out, I am sure he can live without this kind of recognition. I was just wondering how it is pretty much every critic and award ceremony can recognise the album or track as a great OST and tip it for award successes, but no one knew it would be ineligible. What is the criteria you must meet to be included? I know you can't put a previously written song up as a best original piece if it has seen the light of day elsewhere, but if the album was written SPECIFICALLY for the film, where does it fail to qualify?

Maybe it fails to qualify because it wasn't:-
A) Written byElton john/Phil Collins or some other washed up over the hill artist
B) Written by Randy Newman, because he is apparently contractually obliged to write an "oscar" song every year
C)The film isn't a Disney production, and they get 3 of the five nominations each year
D)Sean Penn isnt an industry lovey, and they wouldnt want him or Eddie on stage making any political speech, either to do with the upcoming elections or the general retardedness of the Bush administration?
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    undone1 wrote:
    A) Written byElton john/Phil Collins or some other washed up over the hill artist
    B) Written by Randy Newman, because he is apparently contractually obliged to write an "oscar" song every year
    C)The film isn't a Disney production, and they get 3 of the five nominations each year
    D)Sean Penn isnt an industry lovey, and they wouldnt want him or Eddie on stage making any political speech, either to do with the upcoming elections or the general retardedness of the Bush administration?

sorry, good point madfe but this really made me laugh!
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    undone1 wrote:

sorry, good point madfe but this really made me laugh!
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Eddie Vedder's work for Into the Wild was also disqualified for Original Score nomination because it's too "song-based," and the Academy wants the category to concentrate on composers creating dramatic scores. That said, Vedder didn't even get a song nomination, though Alan Menken's three cheeze-oid balads for Enchanted got nods. Cue vomiting.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/01/oscar-rules-snu.html

http://www.oscars.org/80academyawards/rules/rule16.html

What a bunch of crap!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    4. The work must be recorded for use in the film prior to any other usage, including public performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever.

Is this rule the problem? most of this is jibberish, but I'm pretty sure the movie was already made (music excluded) and Sean Penn handed it to Ed to write music. I don't know but this could be a possibility.

But still.... What a crock of shit!!!!!!!!!
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    The problem with the Score is that all of the music for the movie for the score to be considered had to be created specifically for the film, in the case of the ITW score Society and Hard Sun are covers that were not written for the movie, they were just used for the soundtrack, therefore making it ineligible.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    The problem with the Score is that all of the music for the movie for the score to be considered had to be created specifically for the film, in the case of the ITW score Society and Hard Sun are covers that were not written for the movie, they were just used for the soundtrack, therefore making it ineligible.

arrr. Check mate.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Eddie did not write a score for the film, the score was written by Michael Brook.
    It's okay! I'm easy to forget! I'm only the fucking lead singer! - Jeff Bebe, Almost Famous
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    But the other songs on the soundtrack should have still been eligible for best song.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    jordn6971 wrote:
    But the other songs on the soundtrack should have still been eligible for best song.

Exactly, it couldn't be up for Best Soundtrack because of that rule, but Guaranteed could have been nominated for Best Original Song. THAT is the real snub. It was eligible.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Yielded wrote:

interesting
    did you read the part about the music needing to be submitted for consideration?

For an achievement to be eligible for nomination in any of the three music categories, an OFFICIAL SUBMISSION FORM, obtainable from the Academy, must be requested personally by the principal writer(s) who alone may make the submission.

Perhaps Ed did not fill out the proper forms...hahahaha
    wouldnt surprise me if me specifically asked not to be considered
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    jordn6971 wrote:
    They are. It's the score that's been ruled ineligible. For the songs, the academy voters just went for their Elton John/Phil Collins/Randy Newman Disney showtune favourites, that's all.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm sure Eddie doesn't even care. Who would? The Oscars aren't worthy of Eddie.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm sure Eddie doesn't even care. Who would? The Oscars aren't worthy of Eddie.

:D
    Exactly.

WE have already validated it for Eddie and WE are the important people!!!!!!

:p
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    i'm telling you, the real reason it was ineligible was becase of paragraph 16 line 280, sentence 43. "any artist who contributed to the song 'croon spoon' shall be banished from every accepting an oscar'" think about it. when was the last time susan sarandon got an oscar for best song either.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    damn I was hoping I could catch of glimpse of ed on the red carpet with Katherine Heigel and find out "who he's wearing."

but in all seriousness, Into the Wild doesn't seem to meet the original score criteria. Original song seems more appropriate.