Options

'happy' Not For You is blasphemous!

edited February 2008 in The Porch
Now I know Eddie has mellowed out and thats cool, I even like the more positive spin he puts on some of their older songs like Alive, But COME ON! this is PJ's angriest, grungiest, I Hate You song! Those live cuts from the nineties were amazing! i'm not digging this new happy version i keep hearing.

I guess its like trying to sing the blues when you just won the lottery and found the love of your life: you just can't sing it that well anymore. heheh

this is why we need a republican president.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Maybe I haven't listened closely enough because I haven't exactly heard any 'happy' during performances of NFY....but, you're right, 'tis not a song to be sung with balloons in your hand, so if Ed has sung it with a smile on his face then SHAME ON HIM!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Maybe I haven't listened closely enough because I haven't exactly heard any 'happy' during performances of NFY....but, you're right, 'tis not a song to be sung with balloons in your hand, so if Ed has sung it with a smile on his face then SHAME ON HIM!!

mostly that part sings "lucky me" and "you're all my friends". that general area. Lolla had it.

He should go off on his drunken rants just before this song to get him in the right state of mind.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    he can't pretend to be angry with hi's life now ...that's all in the past why won't people just accept the ed of today .......fatherhood
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    MrSmith wrote:
    this is why we need a republican president.

Please don't. A happy not for you does less harm.
  • Options
    he can't pretend to be angry with hi's life now ...that's all in the past why won't people just accept the ed of today .......fatherhood

yeah i know. damn happiness and kids ruin everything... :D
  • Options
    bernmodi wrote:
    Please don't. A happy not for you does less harm.
    No shit!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    MrSmith wrote:
    yeah i know. damn happiness and kids ruin everything... :D

yeah i hear you it sucks to have a happy family life healthy kids and all ;) at least you made me smile ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Seems to me that the meaning of the song has changed a bit, in Ed's eyes.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    I dont think it takes anything away from the song.

It is a sign of true musicianship to change lyrics. I guess we would all understand if we were in his shoes.....

A lot of songwriters/lyricists dont like to publish their lyrics cause they dont want to ruin a fan's interpretation of a song.

Example: the first time the Mamasan Trilogy was played(Zurich 92), Ed said, "Now, I haven't told anybody about this before and, uh, I dont wanna ruin any interpretations of the songs that you have, you know....."

While they may do this, the words came from their soul. It is their intellectual property.

I'm sure Mr. Vedder remembers EXACTLY what the song is about but he isn't in the same place anymore, just as he expects us to be more grown up and not in the same mindset anymore. Does that make the song less relevant? I personally dont think so.

He said the audience, over the years, changed the meaning of Alive for him, just as marriage and fatherhood have seemed to change Not For You.
    Chicago 8-23-09