i just had a terrible thought about Bonnaroo...

Comments

• umm you say its a festival full of hippies and then worry that eds gonna be preachy? whos more liberal than hippies? ed has no reason to preach... besides, whatever the outcome of this election may be there is gonna be a positive change for this country because bush is gone... i wouldnt worry about it... with them not having played live in awhile either i think they will all be focusing on rocking out for as long as possibly... probably very little talk of any nature
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • MrSmith wrote:
    if he sings Masters of War like he did on Benaroya, I'm definately cool with that one.

That was awesome, so was the David Letterman version, gives me goose bumps
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • chromiam wrote:
    I would tend to disagree with this... unless there is proof (other than Storytellers) that Betterman is a politcal song.

Of course they were politcal from Day 1!! Why do people equate "political" with songs that refer blantantly to war, the government or the governance of our world?!

The first album contained a song about a girl being locked away for smoking pot, a song about the homeless, a song about an alienated teenager killing himself in front of his class at school...hell, even an autobiographical song about a disaffected kid (EV) from a broken family...

ALL of these songs touch on political themes! They are all commentaries on the society we live in and not separate, isolated issues!!

I still love Pearl Jam because they still make these commentaries...it's just that the stakes have changed. If you don't like it, you've been listening to the wrong band all along. And, as someone else pointed out last week, if you have a problem with topical lyrics, go listen to Nickelback rehash whatever it is that they sing about...

DP
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Of course they were politcal from Day 1!! Why do people equate "political" with songs that refer blantantly to war, the government or the governance of our world?!

The first album contained a song about a girl being locked away for smoking pot, a song about the homeless, a song about an alienated teenager killing himself in front of his class at school...hell, even an autobiographical song about a disaffected kid (EV) from a broken family...

ALL of these songs touch on political themes! They are all commentaries on the society we live in and not separate, isolated issues!!

I still love Pearl Jam because they still make these commentaries...it's just that the stakes have changed. If you don't like it, you've been listening to the wrong band all along. And, as someone else said here last week, if you don't like it, go listen to Nickelback whine about being a "rock star..."

DP

Speaking on or about social and sociological issues does not make one political!!!! It's makes you socially conscience and active but not political. They are two different things.

I love how people love to interchange the two.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    Speaking on or about social and sociological issues does not make one political!!!! It's makes you socially conscience and active but not political. They are two different things.

But to me, Pearl Jam's music (and the "rants" at live shows) have always been about making people aware of the issues and exercising their right to act, no matter how they feel...that, to me, is political!

It's what separates a band that simply writes about a sociological issue here and there and a band that is active, politically. The fact they have commented on those issues, acted to try to change them, and encouraged others to participate is what makes them political.

DP
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    chromiam wrote:

That is sort of how I see it. I mean:

Bringing up a variety of social issues that people might not be aware of= Interesting.

Constantly reminding people, especailly people who already know, over and over that you hate Bush= Boring.
  • That is sort of how I see it. I mean:

Bringing up a variety of social issues that people might not be aware of= Interesting.

Constantly reminding people, especailly people who already know, over and over that you hate Bush= Boring.

Fair enough, but it's not just Bush--it's the apathy people have toward the system. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and people--human beings--on both sides are still getting slaughtered "over there."

I just think people are frustrated, PJ included, because while people claim to "already know," nobody seems to be doing anything to fix the problem! What gives?!
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    geez.

i thought you were gonna be worried about tornados or something BAD
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    MrSmith wrote:
    its election year. playing in the south. with hippies. This could be the most annoyingly political PJ show ever. I can usually just tune out Ed's drunken rants against the government, but this might be too much to handle.

they will probably play "No More War" (cringe), Bushleaguer is probably automatic.

hell they might even break out "Rock Around Barack", possibly the most embarassing song by PJ ever. Wow, i actually want Obama to lose now so i know this isnt a possiblity.

I really dont know if i want to see this. Could be a great oppurtunity to get my non Pearl Jam friends to see a PJ show, but if its gonna suck I would rather not expose them to it... hmmm i'm not sure i want to go.

(edit: i think some are misunderstanding me. its not so much the political rants, but the possiblity of a show filled with shitty protest songs.)

i don't like the rants...but not hard to tune out...it's who he is and always has been...

but i do not want to hear that shit song No More War live ever again....

aweful.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • brainofPJ wrote:
    i don't like the rants...but not hard to tune out...it's who he is and always has been...

but i do not want to hear that shit song No More War live ever again....

aweful.

Incidentally, and this is only my opinion, but I think this is a beautiful song. When they played it at Lollapalooza, I was at home watching the web cast with my girlfriend, and we were both moved to tears by it...I'm glad to know somebody with some clout actually cares about what's going on over there...
  • He has every right to say what he thinks...I thought Americanwas a free country with free speech so who gives a fuck what he wants to say...cannot stand these "I hope there is nothing politcal getting said"....seems ironic to me.....
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    He has every right to say what he thinks...I thought Americanwas a free country with free speech so who gives a fuck what he wants to say...cannot stand these "I hope there is nothing politcal getting said"....seems ironic to me.....

Of course he has every right to say what he wants. At the same time someone who doesn't like it has every right to be annoyed by it. No one is saying he should be locked up for his opinion.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I just wish Ed would finally start telling the truth in his speeches. There is not currently one thing wrong with the United States, nor has there ever been. We are generous, thin, highy-educated people who are recognized as peace spreading messangers throughout the universe. The whole world loves America; I don't know what Ed's problem is...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • I just want to be in the room when this band plays ... I don't care what they play, I just want to be there.

I've seen them 20 times in three countries on two continents, a mere pittance compared to some I know, but they have NEVER ONCE disappointed me, have they disappointed you?

But from what you've said here, between the heat and the hippies and the songs they MIGHT play, I'd recommend you sit this one out.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    no more BP Amoco!

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• 'Dissent Is the Highest Form of Fandom!'
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    MrSmith wrote:
    its election year. playing in the south. with hippies. This could be the most annoyingly political PJ show ever. I can usually just tune out Ed's drunken rants against the government, but this might be too much to handle.

they will probably play "No More War" (cringe), Bushleaguer is probably automatic.

hell they might even break out "Rock Around Barack", possibly the most embarassing song by PJ ever. Wow, i actually want Obama to lose now so i know this isnt a possiblity.

I really dont know if i want to see this. Could be a great oppurtunity to get my non Pearl Jam friends to see a PJ show, but if its gonna suck I would rather not expose them to it... hmmm i'm not sure i want to go.

(edit: i think some are misunderstanding me. its not so much the political rants, but the possiblity of a show filled with shitty protest songs.)

Good! I hope he taunts the republicans and let's them know that their time in the Whte House is coming to an end!

One of the big reason's I love this band...is because of the way they take a stand and speak up for what they believe in.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    Lizard wrote:
    geez.

i thought you were gonna be worried about tornados or something BAD

that made me laugh :D..... I had never even thought about a tornado from a severe thunderstorm. Man that would be horrible. Here's hoping for 3 mostly cloudy days with the highs in the mid 80's, lows in the 60's, and just a touch of rain!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Yeah.. but we also could get Grievance, Green Disease, MASTERS OF WAR!!!, Insignificance, Marker In The Sand.. all great political songs.

and gimme some truth, and other great protest covers
    i would love to hear MASTERS OF WAR and some ITW Eddie V solo stuff would be sickkk
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,365
    Just curious, what do you have against the song "No More War"?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Just curious, what do you have against the song "No More War"?
    IMO its not very good... i hated it when i first heard it and it has grown on me a bit since... but its still at the bottom of what id want to hear live... especially now that eds got a whole album of great songs to play for an acoustic set

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,365
    sgossard3 wrote:
    IMO its not very good... i hated it when i first heard it and it has grown on me a bit since... but its still at the bottom of what id want to hear live... especially now that eds got a whole album of great songs to play for an acoustic set

Is it the political content or the music?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Is it the political content or the music?
    the music mainly... tho the polital content is a lil more blatent than id usually like too... i agree with everything the song stands for... it just comes off like a really cheesy 60's protest song... the crowd participation was cool on that one at lolla tho... but like i said, couldve filled that spot with a better song

• sgossard3 wrote:
    the music mainly... tho the polital content is a lil more blatent than id usually like too... i agree with everything the song stands for... it just comes off like a really cheesy 60's protest song... the crowd participation was cool on that one at lolla tho... but like i said, couldve filled that spot with a better song

what he said.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    sgossard3 wrote:

wow...

exactly how i feel.

not very good at all.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • pearl jam = political band from DAY ONE.
    music seems to be the vehicle for the message. most of eds rants end up being true, if you would know now what we knew then. guess some wouldn't know truth if it took their kid to war for a lie and sent their job to china. can't wait for 1-09
    03 bristow,04 reading,05 toronto,05 phillie,06 camden,06 dc,07 chicago,08 dc,08 camden,09 philliex2,10 bristow
    eddie solo 08 dc,09 balt, 11 phillie
  • 58823005882300 Posts: 813
    RMST09 wrote:
    maybe after reading your post they will agre to play Alive and Evenflow over and over so that you and your friends can bring a bench and some dumbbells out in the field and chest press and bicep curls all evening. You never know.

LMFAO
  • Alive and Evenflow are fratboy rock now?

well i guess that makes me Greek, then, cuz those old songs fucking rock!!!!!!!!

(see sig)
  • What a fucking Debbie Downer. It's a festival where you meet people, hang out with your friends, and listen to amazing music. What is there to complain about? You don't own Pearl Jam. They are their own band and they are in many ways political and socially driven and they have been that way since your favorite album "Ten." I personally love them for who they are and enjoy the songs and rants because if they cut it out it's not Pearl Jam to me. Excuse them for having deep passion and concern for the world and the country they and many of us live in. In the end it is an extremely fun festival, event, and experience. I see nothing wrong with simply enjoying themselves while we simply enjoy ourselves. I bet they play a lot of mellow songs, I am hoping for a possible "strangest tribe," as it might seem somewhat fitting at a Bonnaroo festival.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    The best part about the Roo, is that the ITW threads have vanished to page 4 :D
    NERDS!