Hackers/Ticketmaster

dignindignin Posts: 9,303
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Check this out http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/27/bc-ticketprobe.html No wonder i couldnt get tickets to the Eddie shows through ticketbastard
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I meant to watch that tonight on Marketplace...
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    KNEW IT! KNEW IT! KNEW IT!

Check out this other one too...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=274723
  • evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    NO wonder it was so hard to get tickets i miss the good ole days gettign there teh night before or so and lining up the real fans got them nwo all this internet has ruined it cuz of all these hackers. Hoepfully the bastards at ticket master figure out something
  • well they will burn in hell....... with lots of money.... but still eat the fires of hell.. yet die with lot's of money... still burn in hell...
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,355
    Hoepfully the bastards at ticket master figure out something

Point blank... they don't give a fuck. This has been an issue for years and as long as they sell tickets, why should they care?
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Zod wrote:
    I wonder how the software works, does it bypass that stupid type in the word part (that even stumps the most literate of humans?).

I saw this show last night. They have software that can pick out those words pretty easily. They had some computer science professor or something on and he whipped up a program to recognize those words in what seemed like no time at all.
  • ... and sometimes these measures that Ticketmaster claims to be taking can backfire on innocent non-scalpers like me. My IP address is currently blocked from the site, since yesterday when I was trying for pre-sale tickets to a show and went in too many times to try for better seats. It burns my ass that seats in the sections I was hoping for are listed on three different ticket broker sites.

I have no idea how to regain access, since I can't even get on the site to retrieve contact information.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i only buy 10c tickets...

:cool:
    make it illegal to resell tickets for a profit and that would be the end of that...

some states already do that, apparentyl some canadian provinces do as well

the hackers will always stay ahead of the suits... so take the profit out of it and they will look towards something else...

eliminate the inflated secondary market... and you eliminate the problem...
  • this isn't exactly breaking news.
    tacos
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    my2hands wrote:
    make it illegal to resell tickets for a profit and that would be the end of that...

the hackers will always stay ahead of the suits... so take the profit out of it and they will look towards something else...

Easy ways to circumvent the state and canadian province restrictions by not being based in that state or even country. Also many states are repealing their scalping laws so that professional sports teams can legally resell their tickets at inflated prices.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • If you read up on what is going on in the ticket industry scalping is going to become even more prevlent and legalized.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,355
    If you read up on what is going on in the ticket industry scalping is going to become even more prevlent and legalized.

Especially since ticketmaster recently bought Stub Hub... or one of those ticket brokers. Now, they make twice the money on the original ticket purchase.
  • TrAvELAr wrote:
    Especially since ticketmaster recently bought Stub Hub... or one of those ticket brokers. Now, they make twice the money on the original ticket purchase.

ticketsnow.com

Stub Hub is the offical re-seller for Major League Baseball and the NFL I believe.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

chromiam wrote:
    Also many states are repealing their scalping laws so that professional sports teams can legally resell their tickets at inflated prices.

wow... i had not seen anything about this... very interesting... looks like just another reason to add to why i go to fewer and fewer pro atheltic events...

AND, just another reason my 10c membership is the best $20 i spend every year... :cool:
    my2hands wrote:

The show last night talked about this. In many provinces it is illegal to sell tickets second hand. In ontario they said it is even illegal to use a computer program to buy tickets from ticket master, yet they said it pretty much doesn't stop anyone.
  • I wonder if there a business niche for people to subscribe to use these bots for the consumer. I think I know how to pull this off. I wouldnt charge scalper fees. (IE just a nominal fee of 5 bucks) I think I could set it up like those ebay sniper websites. Do you think there is a large enough consumer base I can cover my loses?
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    I wonder if there a business niche for people to subscribe to use these bots for the consumer. I think I know how to pull this off. I wouldnt charge scalper fees. (IE just a nominal fee of 5 bucks) I think I could set it up like those ebay sniper websites. Do you think there is a large enough consumer base I can cover my loses?

I was actually wondering about that, until they said it wa illegal to use them in Ontario. I mean if some scalper can use a bot to buy 100 tickets can I use one to just buy 2?
  • I was actually wondering about that, until they said it wa illegal to use them in Ontario. I mean if some scalper can use a bot to buy 100 tickets can I use one to just buy 2?

Well no, I was thinking of this:

1) Have the user pay 5 bucks a year to use the service.
    2) User has to input his/her credit card and address, name etc so the bot can purchase the ticket individually.

There are alot more pitfalls as I have been thinking about it. I don't like the idea of storing credit card info and people abusing the system. (IE making 10 billion accounts to get tickets) and possible lawsuits...
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    i need a "bot"
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    "Livich said he prefers to focus on the priceless memories that companies like Showtime Tickets help to create by connecting fans with the shows they want to see when they want to see them."
    ...at a ridiculous price!

riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    now what im wondering is there anything we can do?