Options

Spoken Apocalypse

JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
edited September 2008 in Poetry, Prose, Music & Art
This is something new for me...
The text is to written in an eerie tone, with necessary dramatic pausing and intonation, perhaps with a dark violin background and a cello, maybe even a flute (I'm working on the music)

Here goes...

All of the animals had fled into the darkened forest, leaving us only in the company of the stars’ muddy light. Even now do buildings still catch on fire amidst the rubble that used to be our cities.
Is this the aftermath of a failed apocalypse?
The very few survivors can do nothing more than look one another desperately in the eye… that is, if they are lucky enough not to be alone.
With not even the slightest breeze and the warm light of the city ablaze set upon her shiny hair made there was a homely feel to it none the less. So I grabbed my bags or at least what was left of them. As my path progressed along the roads, avoiding the woods, I found myself surrounded in a mist of darkness which wore off by the line of trees. It was like nothing I ever experienced, but I was determined to leave this place. I made my way deeper and darker into the forests. I do not know how long I have wandered through the trees and dying vegetation, but it felt like days, weeks perhaps. All the while, the leaves hung silently from dead branches, like flags hung still atop of their poles.
How can one be scared of what he cannot see nor hear, how can it be worse when there is nothing to see or hear …
I had finally made my way to a railway station, only to find it abandoned from all life. A burning train stood halted as if boarding. And everything was dead. All except the rats in the hall and the crows upon its roof.
I will tell you what I can remember:
the sun fell down, the city’s lights were leering, buildings collapsed onto themselves. I saw mothers stumble out from under the debris. A series of shockwaves knocked over all that was left standing. A glare approached that can only be described as what seemed like an eternal sun. Brighter than life itself.
A corrupted government still exists, but to what purpose. A skeleton to fallen flesh; like these twisted metal pieces pointing up towards the sky.
I came to and you lay next to me, … I stared blankly, dazed and confused. You grabbed the hand of a man you did not know. We fell into delirium, like a daydream. You were no longer a stranger. When I awoke, nothing has ever struck me harder than to leave you there. I wiped the blood from your eyelids and onto mine.
On my way I came across what can only be called the valley of the dead. My own personal hell, if you will. I am convinced there are others out there, seekers, survivors.
The forest arose from a deep sleep, all this time still covered under the gloomy dark wings of death. A train arrived at the platform. The disillusion was great when I found it to be empty, not a single soul aboard. Somehow, it had made its way here. I resumed my journey on foot and headed further west.
The wind had picked up overnight and unveiled the rotten stench of a former civilization, … ours. One … covered… in blood.
We are trapped in the belly of this horrible beast, and this beast is now bleeding to death.
Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dawn, covered in pale light,
    another sleepless night
    I close my eyes and sleep
    E.