Options

What is so great Alpine Valley?

Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Should read: What is so great about Alpine Valley?

That is a serious curious questions, I have never been, but I keep hearing people demand that PJ play there. What is so great about it? Where is it? Is it by Chicago? Milwaukee?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    like 45 minutes from milwaukee, 90 minutes from chicago.

something about the place and its atmosphere. the tailgating, the huuuggeeeee lawn, the wooden roof/rafters, the way you jhave to drive into the middle of fucking nowhere just to see a show is pretty cool, and just the overwhelming presence of amazing shows that have been there.

also the sad history of stevie ray vaughn adds something to it.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I went there for the first time last year & saw DMB - the tailgating was great & so was the energy of the crowd.

It's really in the middle of farm land - and on a steep incline too.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    poto101 wrote:
    wow... that mustve been during the offseason... the lawn looks like a golf course compared to the usual mudslide :D

always a good time there tho! theres just something chilled about WI/IL folks... were like canada jr.
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    JimmiesJimmies Posts: 28
    The rolling hills surrounding it are stunningly beautiful, and I've seen two of my all-time favorite shows there: the Ice Bowl and the June 2003 show with the sun setting in absolutely perfect weather.
  • Options
    Jimmies wrote:
    The rolling hills surrounding it are stunningly beautiful, and I've seen two of my all-time favorite shows there: the Ice Bowl and the June 2003 show with the sun setting in absolutely perfect weather.
    speaking of favorite shows... rage and QOTSA there last year... INSANE! the rain and the mud!! if PJ does play there i hope theres a fuckin monsoon!

• Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    Shit! that place looks amazing! Looks like it would be a dope show...in more ways then one
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,480
    Nobody has mentioned the sound.

The sound at that place is great. I dont know what it is. But similar setups at similar venues dont sound as good.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

The sound at that place is great. I dont know what it is. But similar setups at similar venues dont sound as good.

Oops, oh yeah, that too!!! :)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,340
    What isn't great about Alpine??????????????
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

its the wood... definitely... what makes tweeter center so shitty is its all metal so the sounds sucks

• Options
    JimmiesJimmies Posts: 28
    sgossard3 wrote:
    its the wood... definitely... what makes tweeter center so shitty is its all metal so the sounds sucks
    Same goes for United Center, that damn place is like playing in an echo chamber. Terrible concert experience.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,480
    sgossard3 wrote:

You mean the World Music Theater-Tweeter Center-First National Bank Amphitheater? :D

Yeah, not the best sound. Unless you are in the right spot.

The UC isnt TOO bad. Night 2 in Chicago was definitely better than Night 1 for sound.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Alpine is one of few big venues I can think of near Chicago where the trip seems like a small vacation - a getaway from cities/suburbia. It's part road trip, part concert. People are great and tailgating is even better.
  • Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    poto101 wrote:

something about the place and its atmosphere. the tailgating, the huuuggeeeee lawn, the wooden roof/rafters, the way you jhave to drive into the middle of fucking nowhere just to see a show is pretty cool, and just the overwhelming presence of amazing shows that have been there.

Sounds like the Gorge, especially the middle of fucking nowhere part.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    What is this alpine valley you people speak of? :D
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    It's just such a great venue. I've seen the 99 Tibetan Freedom Concert, the 03 PJ show, and Radiohead there, and all 3 were AWESOME concerts. Alpine has great accoustics, it's set into a HUGE hill and outdoor ampitheature, the tailgating is always good, and there's plenty of places nearby to camp at. I've noticed a good vibe from the bands all 3 times I've been there. I think it's just a great setting to play at. I'm gonna have to start hoping they come back there this year. I was really bummed that they didn't play there in 06.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    LutesLutes Posts: 43
    It's not that far from Blarney Island!
  • Options

Patrick, this made me crack up.

Look, Alpine Valley is easily the best place to see a Pearl Jam concert anywhere in the upper Midwest region of America. I'd actually put it up against any venue in the country if not the world.

A lot of people in this thread have made some great points. It's actually pretty difficult to describe exactly why it is so great, but trust me, it is. I've seen the band play all over this country, and in three others. My favorite place and best Pearl Jam memories are from their Alpine Valley shows.

A quick list:
    1992 Lollapalooza -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWoh_DUu54g
    This is from the solo during "Porch". Eddie scaling to the roof absolutely blew my mind. This was back in the days when I was trying to figure out just how great they were. The energy put into this show was just off the charts.

2000 "Welcome to the Ice Bowl" -
    I think it was 22 degrees that night. Absolutely freezing. You had to be hard-core to even be outside, much less be outside for a couple of hours. But we were, and the band was, and it was incredible. Just a "for the true fans" kind of vibe. Here is a review:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/fanscene/2000/1008mil4.html

2003 "The best concert I have ever attended" -
    Perfect weather, perfect crowd, perfect performance. Great sound, great atmosphere, great vibe. Everything just came together in one place, for one night. I've literally written hundreds of pages about my experience there. It was transcendent.
    Here is a page with some pics from that night, (the crowd shot is the best):
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gallery/062103.html

I suggest listening to the bootlegs from any Alpine Valley show, but the 2003 concert is one of their all-time best (in my humble opinion). Listen to it for yourself. There's a reason it's one of the most sought after bootlegs in the entire collection.

If you were there in 2003, you hunger for one more night of that type of bliss.
  • Options
    Yield98Yield98 Posts: 151
    Jimmies wrote:

Here here!!

I was waiting for it!!
    Peace, Love, Pearl Jam

Alpine 98,00,03 TFC 99, Chicago 00,03,09(2X) St. Louis 03, Champagne 03, St. Paul 03, 06(2X), 14, Noblesville 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04,06, Thunder Bay 05, Cleveland 06, Lolla 07, Roo 08, PJ20 X2, Wrigley 13 & 16, Portland/Spokane/Seattle 13, Milwaukee 14, Fenway 18X2, Quebec City/Ottawa 22
  • Options
    UrohawkUrohawk Posts: 77
    I think it was 22 degrees that night. Absolutely freezing. You had to be hard-core to even be outside

Ah the ice bowl.....an awesome night. The car ride home sucked as I couldn't feel my legs.
    "pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....
    the pearl jam coloring book....$200
    multi-millionaires singing a song telling me...
    the gas in their tanks...is like money in the bank
    PRICELESS!!!!!!" -SpeedyMcCready...You may be banned but the message lives on!
  • Options
    Patrick, this made me crack up.

Look, Alpine Valley is easily the best place to see a Pearl Jam concert anywhere in the upper Midwest region of America. I'd actually put it up against any venue in the country if not the world.

A lot of people in this thread have made some great points. It's actually pretty difficult to describe exactly why it is so great, but trust me, it is. I've seen the band play all over this country, and in three others. My favorite place and best Pearl Jam memories are from their Alpine Valley shows.

A quick list:
    1992 Lollapalooza -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWoh_DUu54g
    This is from the solo during "Porch". Eddie scaling to the roof absolutely blew my mind. This was back in the days when I was trying to figure out just how great they were. The energy put into this show was just off the charts.

I think it was 22 degrees that night. Absolutely freezing. You had to be hard-core to even be outside, much less be outside for a couple of hours. But we were, and the band was, and it was incredible. Just a "for the true fans" kind of vibe. Here is a review:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/fanscene/2000/1008mil4.html

2003 "The best concert I have ever attended" -
    Perfect weather, perfect crowd, perfect performance. Great sound, great atmosphere, great vibe. Everything just came together in one place, for one night. I've literally written hundreds of pages about my experience there. It was transcendent.
    Here is a page with some pics from that night, (the crowd shot is the best):
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gallery/062103.html

I suggest listening to the bootlegs from any Alpine Valley show, but the 2003 concert is one of their all-time best (in my humble opinion). Listen to it for yourself. There's a reason it's one of the most sought after bootlegs in the entire collection.

If you were there in 2003, you hunger for one more night of that type of bliss.

Well done I must say. :D Yes the hunger for that type of show is what I have been looking for ever since.

Yield98 wrote:
    I was waiting for it!!

Oh you know I can't stay away from a Alpine thread. hehe :)
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    seen pj everytime they have been there, i grew up in racine and alpine is in racine county if i recall. the place is just special, but don't tell anyone cuz i still want me some tixs when they go on sale for this summers show!!
    one love

respect
  • Options
    Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Srv :(
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    the view. the party in the lot before and after the show. the sound in the seats. the history of the venue. the fact that the band always puts on amazing shows there... the fact that Mike's idol died and he pays tribute to him by playing better than ever...
    should I keep going?

Alpine is AWESOME!
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Shit! that place looks amazing! Looks like it would be a dope show...in more ways then one

Yeah, if you look at the google pictures posted earlier you'll see a thick fog in the valley behind the stage. Well that ain't fog. They had a DMB concert there the night before.

I want people to stop chatting up Alpine, it's hard enough to get good seats as it is. Now there's going to be people coming from everywhere!

ps don't eat a brat from the stand there after the show. My friend got one after a show and it was raw!
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Yeah, if you look at the google pictures posted earlier you'll see a thick fog in the valley behind the stage. Well that ain't fog. They had a DMB concert there the night before.

I want people to stop chatting up Alpine, it's hard enough to get good seats as it is. Now there's going to be people coming from everywhere!

ps don't eat a brat from the stand there after the show. My friend got one after a show and it was raw!

Was your friend drunk? lol

I've been talking up Alpine Valley for the longest time on here. I want the people that think Alpine sucks to come and see. Cause when PJ plays Alpine its a special nite everytime. We that have been there know this already. :)
  • Options
    EagleEarEagleEar Posts: 31
    For those of you who thought the 2000 concert was cold, you obviously didn't stand in Lambeau this winter for 4 hours with wind chills in the -40 range. Now THAT was cold. Think about it...it was like 60 degrees warmer for that concert. At least the PJ concert was good...watching the Packers lose made it feel colder.

Anyways, on to Alpine. I have a difficult time explaining what is so special about this place, but I do have goosebumps as I type this. When I think of summer in Southern Wisconsin (aside from the gorgeous weather, the outdoors, and the wonderful people), the first thing I think of is Alpine. 'Alpine' is more than a venue, it's truely a feeling. The atmosphere is electric, absolutely contagious. The backdrop of the rolling hills and the smell of beer Brats (preferably Johnsonville or Usingers) is overwhelming. Your face always tends to ache the next day from a combination of incessant smiling and being a bit sun-kissed. There's something so simple and raw about sitting on a hill with 30,000 friends and enjoying an outdoor concert beneath the sun and/or stars. It's great a place to watch any band. It's a great place even if there were no bands.

The 2003 show was a defining point of my college years. I cannot explain it. I still smirk when I think of 'Faithful' ringing against the backgound of the setting sun. I long for another show with that type of feeling. I don't know if it will ever happen. It was almost out-of-body. Euphoric.

I highly recommend checking out this venue, even it's not for a PJ show. Jack Johnson is playing in late June...stop by my tailgate for a brat and Leinie's.
    Got an army, fact I got two. That's ok man, cause I love money!
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Not one negative thing to say out the whole bunch, I am convinced of it's brilliance! No seriously, it looks like a good place to see a show.
  • Options
    Not one negative thing to say out the whole bunch, I am convinced of it's brilliance! No seriously, it looks like a good place to see a show.

If and when they come back to Alpine. We welcome you to come and enjoy the show with all of us. :D

It's a fun time and just a great place. I love it so much there. I miss it too.