I miss being in a PJ tribute band

Mr. FunkaliciousMr. Funkalicious Posts: 28
edited October 2008 in The Porch
I miss playing to big ass crowds and rocking out to my favorite PJ songs on a weekendly basis. It was so awesome to go up and play the songs that inspired to me to play music, and to sound so close to the real band. I swear sometimes it felt like we were PJ!! :) The money was nice too!! My fav tunes to play were Black, Ledbetter, State of love and trust, release, porch, garden, given to fly and in my tree. So fun!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    I miss playing to big ass crowds and rocking out to my favorite PJ songs on a weekendly basis. It was so awesome to go up and play the songs that inspired to me to play music, and to sound so close to the real band. I swear sometimes it felt like we were PJ!! :) The money was nice too!! My fav tunes to play were Black, Ledbetter, State of love and trust, release, porch, garden, given to fly and in my tree. So fun!

I'm in one and love it for the same reasons...except for feeling like PJ - we know better haha. As I say, we're just a live karaoke band for the fans, and our singer is just the guy with the mic singing along with everyone else.

And did I beat azwyldcats' post of:

"tribute bands suck"

we're all counting on you azwyldcats!

where are you?
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Am I the only one that thinks PJ cover bands shouldn't play Ledbetter? That's kinda like their song to do what they want with, it should be untainted by the unworthy... but then again I guess you could say that about all their songs.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Am I the only one that thinks PJ cover bands shouldn't play Ledbetter? That's kinda like their song to do what they want with, it should be untainted by the unworthy... but then again I guess you could say that about all their songs.

Are you serious? It's just a song written by 5 dudes. It's not divine. Anyone can play it, or any song for that matter
  • arqarq Posts: 7,977
    I don't even know how whistle loudly and i miss playing with a PJ cover band, it must be a lot of fun!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • I miss playing to big ass crowds and rocking out to my favorite PJ songs on a weekendly basis. It was so awesome to go up and play the songs that inspired to me to play music, and to sound so close to the real band. I swear sometimes it felt like we were PJ!! :) The money was nice too!! My fav tunes to play were Black, Ledbetter, State of love and trust, release, porch, garden, given to fly and in my tree. So fun!

Was your voice close to Eddie's?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Why aren't you in the band anymore? Did it break up? Sounds like you enjoyed it so maybe start another? :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Was your voice close to Eddie's?

I played bass, so my voice sounds nothing like Eddie's :). However, I do htink our singer sounded a lot like him.
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Why aren't you in the band anymore? Did it break up? Sounds like you enjoyed it so maybe start another? :)

We broke up. It was a difference of commitment level. I couldn't start another PJ tribute, because I would never be able to find a band as good as the one I was in. The five of us were meant to play PJ tunes together. Here are the interesting dynamics. First, our singer sounded a alot like Eddie. Second, our lead guitar player's fav guitar player was SRV, and since SRV is a big influence on Mikes style, our lead player plays naturally alot like Mike. That helped in that he was able to improvise much the same as mike would. Third, our drummer was multi-dimensional enough to capture each of PJ's main drummers styles. For example, he could play In my tree close to Jack, he could rock Why go just like Dave K and Dave A, and he could rock songs like save u just like Matt. Having the feels right, is almost as important as having the vocals right. Lastly, the two guitar players have been playing in bands for over ten years. They have awesome shemistry and compatability that it takes to nail the Stone-Mike Dynamic.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We broke up. It was a difference of commitment level. I couldn't start another PJ tribute, because I would never be able to find a band as good as the one I was in. The five of us were meant to play PJ tunes together. Here are the interesting dynamics. First, our singer sounded a alot like Eddie. Second, our lead guitar player's fav guitar player was SRV, and since SRV is a big influence on Mikes style, our lead player plays naturally alot like Mike. That helped in that he was able to improvise much the same as mike would. Third, our drummer was multi-dimensional enough to capture each of PJ's main drummers styles. For example, he could play In my tree close to Jack, he could rock Why go just like Dave K and Dave A, and he could rock songs like save u just like Matt. Having the feels right, is almost as important as having the vocals right. Lastly, the two guitar players have been playing in bands for over ten years. They have awesome shemistry and compatability that it takes to nail the Stone-Mike Dynamic.
    Well, never say never! If music is your passion, find a way to make it work! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • I played bass, so my voice sounds nothing like Eddie's :). However, I do htink our singer sounded a lot like him. You can be the judge. Check out http://www.myspace.com/pearljamtribute

Sounds good!
    Close to the mark!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I miss being in a Doors tribute band
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.