Options

How Do You Play Harmonica On Driftin?!?!?

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
edited July 2008 in The Porch
greetings...i got a harmonica for christmas and in the process of learning how to play. i'd really like to play Drifting. does anyone know the chords (is that what they are called for harmonica's?)? if so, please let The Jeagler know....

muchos gracias amigos!
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    PM me...

It depends what version of Driftin you want to play...
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    not sure exactly, but i do know that your harp needs to be in the right key.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    If you got a key of G, start off learning Smile... Sometimes Driftin is on a C...

One song I have never figured out what key to use is "Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains... Sometimes I think it is a F sharp, but maybe it was a chromatic...
    anyone?
  • Options
    Just hop right on top!
    You can play anything you want on me.
    :D

lol
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    If you got a key of G, start off learning Smile... Sometimes Driftin is on a C...

One song I have never figured out what key to use is "Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains... Sometimes I think it is a F sharp, but maybe it was a chromatic...
    anyone?

i dont know what key's i have. i dont have it with me at work. i just remember seeing numbers from 1-10 on there.....is Smile easier to play?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I just PMd you... smile is about the easiest song I have ever played on haronica.. Also, Good Friday by the Black Crowes is VERY similar to smile, well, note wise. Oh, and Footsteps live when Ed plays harp is also like smile... but times of trouble is MUCH harder!
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I just PMd you... smile is about the easiest song I have ever played on haronica.. Also, Good Friday by the Black Crowes is VERY similar to smile, well, note wise. Oh, and Footsteps live when Ed plays harp is also like smile... but times of trouble is MUCH harder!

thanks...i will try when i get home...dont know if i have a c g or an a though...thanks!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm guessing you have a G... That is the most common and when people ask for a good starter one, they usually sell you a G or C...
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I got a harmonica for Christmas. any tips for places to get info on how to teach yourself to play?
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    I was given a harmonica about 4 years ago... I was at my friend Tony Schueller's(great musician, check him out) house after one of his shows, everyone was jamming on some kind of instrument, I didn't have one. He brought out an old broken harmonica, a few notes went dead, but showed me how to play one note at a time. I kept the harp and kept at it, realized I had the notes in Smile still working, so I learned that first. After Smile, I started learning more and bought a few harmonicas, one in G, one in C, and one in A. 4 years later I can now play most NY, PJ, and really any other song that has harp that isn't too crazy difficult(Blues Traveler, Old Blues music)...
    I always have a A, G, and C in my car and whenever I drive ANYWHERE I scan the radio for songs I can jam along with... I get a lot better when I drive home from Colorado to Wisconsin, or on PJ road trips... It's fun. I remember my bro and I road tripped to St Paul in 03, I had many harmonicas in the car and we both just jammed to PJ on harmonica most of the ride!
    Just keep at it, it isn't easy to learn, but once you get the hang of it, you'll really love to play! My favorite part about it is how small a harmonica is, you can just fit it in your pocket and bust it out at any time, especially at karaoke bars!
    Check out the heavyheads on myspace if you want to hear some songs I played in...
  • Options
    Sounds like a trend around here. I got a G harp for Christmas (along with a mandolin and a baritone ukulele). Looking forward to faking my way through a couple more instruments in the '08!
    10/96 Hartford, 9/98 Hartford, 7/03 Mansfield I, 9/04 Boston I, 5/06 Boston I (Best crowd to date)
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    have you tried blowing it?
  • Options
    i had a harmonica awhile back (a G i think) but wasnt too serious about learning how to play at the time and now its lost... now i have more time on my hands and really wanna start learning... anyone know what kindof harmonica neil young and bob dylan primarily use? and whats a good online resource for learning the chords n shit?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    bob and neil most often use a G harp... sometimes others incl a, c, and more...
    I say get a G, I can list a bunch of songs that use a G harp including Smile!
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    Should I get a Harmonica from Cracker Barrel restaurant? That's the only place i've seen one for sale?

I never thought to look in a local musical instrument store...
    i like sound...
  • Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    Don't get one from cracker barrel, they're probably plastic pieces of crap. Go to a music store, they sell them just about anywhere. Get a Hohner Marine Band harmonica, that's pretty much the industry standard, and you can get one for about $30-35...and they'll last a long long time.
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    Uncle Neil wrote:
    Don't get one from cracker barrel, they're probably plastic pieces of crap. Go to a music store, they sell them just about anywhere. Get a Hohner Marine Band harmonica, that's pretty much the industry standard, and you can get one for about $30-35...and they'll last a long long time.

thanks i'll look ingto a MARINE BAND...

but these MUST be quality
    http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online/shopping/Product.asp?cat%5Fid=4&sku=83546&mscssid=LCWVTU79SLGW9PFAQHCXD7RBR37A3WGC

http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online/shopping/Product.asp?cat%5Fid=4&sku=353391&mscssid=LCWVTU79SLGW9PFAQHCXD7RBR37A3WGC
    i like sound...