Options

Get Your Head out of Your Asses Please!!

Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,692
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Okay. I'm feeling really frisky today... so let me rant about something that has been pissing me off lately. Let me apologize in advance for the length of this and let me apologize in advance if you are sensitive and take offence to some of these words.

If you are offended by what I say...Please feel free to hit me with whatever you got afterwards...It won't be the first time i pissed someone off and it certainly won't be the last.

Anyways...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've followed this band for a very long time and I don't ever recall Eddie Vedder or any other member of Pearl Jam ever say that they hate all corporatons, or that they would never work or collaborate with any corporation ever.

Was there an interview with Eddie somewhere that I missed? Did Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, Jack, ever do an interview promising the loyal fans of Pearl Jam that they would never ever under any circumstances partner up with a corporation for anything?

Was there a Boom Gasper Larry King Interview that I'm missed?

Because if memory serves me correct...this band has always taken a stance against irresponsible corporations....not every corporation...just the bad ones.

And yes there are good ones.

I think some of you fail to realize that just because something is corporate, doesn't mean that it is an evil consumptive whore beast like Enron, Exon Mobil, BP Amico, or even Ticketmaster.

Not all corporations lie, cheat, and steal to make their money.

If you do hate all corporations and feel that they are all evil pillaging pig fucking swine, then I suggest you to take another look at the label on your keyboards, computers, laptops, IPod, Cell Phone, and speakers before you start villifying Pearl Jam for doing the "things that we all do" and utilize the technologies that are made availible to us.

Perhaps all you corporate hating Pearl Jam Fans need to take your computers, Laptops, Cell Phones, IPods and burn them in your respective town squares. Yeah...burn them along with your IKEA furniture...and while your at it...go burn down IKEA too.

That way no one could ever accuse you of "Selling Out" "Selling Your Souls" or "Jumping the Shark".

I think alot of Pearl Jam fans are completly misinformed and really need to get their fucking head out of their fucking asses. Perhaps you don't know as much about this band as you thought you did.

It seems that some of you don't know this band at all.

Pearl Jam didn't sue Ticketmaster because they refused to tour behind a corporation, and they sure as fuck didn't stop making MTV videos or doing interviews because they refused to be promoted by a corporation.

The band fought against these things because these practices were either ripping off their fans, or effecting the personal lives of the band members themselves.

The band has not changed their stance on this issue and their conviction is as strong as ever.

Eddie blasted BP AMICO for polluting the water in Chicago. The band also blasted AT&T for censoring their performance at Lollapalooza.

This band doesn't fight against something just because it is corporate and I suggest that you follow their lead on that one as well.

I don't blame this band for moving with the times and trying to find new and different ways to get "YOU" their music. I'm thankfull that I'm getting more exposure to this band than ever before. I'm glad that they are seemingly letting us as fans share this incredible technology with them. We should all be very lucky and greatful for this.

The more I come on this board and read all this bitching and whinning from all these fans that feel that they've been slighted in someway or another, just makes me fucking sick to my stomach and makes me ashamed to be associated with such a bunch of spoiled greedy waterheads.

I'm so Fucking sick about reading how " The Merchandise Sucks" "The Poster Sucks" "The Set List Sucks " "The newsletter was late" "Eddie didn't answer my request when I yelled it out at the Wiltern".

Fuck...I hope the band doesn't read any of this shit.

Let's just stop all of this bitching and whining. We all share a common thing here. Let's celebrate it instead of knit picking the little shit that doesn't mean anything anyways.

It's the summertime people...The weathers warm, Many of us are going to some shows, we're probably gonna get to share some cool stories, hear some new tunes or covers...

Fuck it !! Lifes good...and It's damn good to be a fan of this band.

In the Great words of Josh Homme..

"Drink wine and Screw"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    Tldnr
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

agree with it all my man...:)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Okay. I'm feeling really frisky today... so let me rant about something that has been pissing me off lately.

Who rants about things that piss them off when they feel frisky?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    guitar_daveyguitar_davey Posts: 111
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Okay. I'm feeling really frisky today... so let me rant about something that has been pissing me off lately. Let me apologize in advance for the length of this and let me apologize in advance if you are sensitive and take offence to some of these words.

If you are offended by what I say...Please feel free to hit me with whatever you got afterwards...It won't be the first time i pissed someone off and it certainly won't be the last.

Anyways...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've followed this band for a very long time and I don't ever recall Eddie or any member of Pearl Jam ever say that they hate all corporatons and that they would never work or collaborate with any corporation ever.

Was there an interview with Eddie somewhere that I missed? Did Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, Jack, ever do an interview promising the loyal fans of Pearl Jam that they would never ever under any circumstances partner up with a corporation for anything?

Was there a Boom Gasper Larry King Interview that I'm missed?

Because if memory serves me correct...this band has always taken a stance against irresponsible corporations....not every corporation...just the bad ones.

And yes there are good ones.

I think some of you fail to realize that just because something is corporate doesn't mean that it is an evil consumptive whore beast like Enron, Exon Mobil, BP Amico, or even Ticketmaster.

Not all corporations lie, cheat, and steal to make their money.

If you do hate all corporations and feel that they are all evil pillaging pig fucking swine, then I suggest you to take another look at the label on your keyboards, computers, laptops, IPod, Cell Phone, and speakers before you start villifying Pearl Jam for doing the "same things that we all do" and utilize the technologies that are made availible to us.

Perhaps all you corporate hating Pearl Jam Fans need to take your computers, Laptops, Cell Phones, IPods and burn them in your respective town squares. Yeah...burn them along with your IKEA furniture...and while your at it...go burn down IKEA too.

That way no one could ever accuse you of "Selling Out" "Selling Your Souls" or "Jumping the Shark".

I think alot of Pearl Jam fans are completly misinformed and really need to get their fucking head out of their fucking asses. Perhaps you don't know as much about this band as you thought you did.

It seems that some of you don't know this band at all.

Pearl Jam didn't sue Ticketmaster because they refused to tour behind a corporation, and they sure as fuck didn't stop making MTV videos or doing interviews because they refused to be promoted by a corporation.

The band fought against these things because these practices were either ripping off their fans, or effecting the personal lives of the band members themselves.

The band has not changed their stance on this issue and their conviction is as strong as ever.

Eddie blasted BP AMICO for polluting the water in Chicago. The band also blasted AT&T for censoring their performance at Lollapalooza.

This band doesn't fight against something just because it is corporate and I suggest that you follow their lead on that one as well.

I don't blame this band for moving with the times and trying to find new and different ways to get "YOU" their music. I'm thankfull that I'm getting more exposure to this band than ever before. I'm glad that they are seemingly letting us as fans share this incredible technology with them. We should all be very lucky and greatful for this.

The more I come on this board and read all this bitching and whinning from all these fans that feel that they've been slighted in someway or another, just makes me fucking sick to my stomach and makes me ashamed to be associated with such a bunch of spoiled greedy waterheads.

I'm so Fucking sick about reading how " The Merchandise Sucks" "The Poster Sucks" "The Set List Sucks " "The newsletter was late" "Eddie didn't answer my request when I yelled it out at the Wiltern".

Fuck...I hope the band doesn't read anything on this board.

Let's just stop all of this bitching and whining. We all share a common thing here. Let's celebrate it instead of knit pick the little shit that doesn't mean anything anyways.

It's the summertime people...The weathers warm, Many of us are going to some shows, we're probably gonna get to share some cool stories, hear some new tunes or covers...

In the Great words of Josh Homme..

"Drink wine and Screw"

I agree wholeheartedly! As long as the creation of the music is not being influenced by or made for the beneifit of unscrupulous corporations, I have no problem with this approach. I would be disappointed if I felt the band had lost its social conscience--this is obviously not the case!

Greta post!

David
  • Options

Me
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Sweet blog

;)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ScottZeagleScottZeagle Posts: 169
    It's hard for me to disagree with anything you said....

As long as they keep touring and making good music, I don't care what corporations they team up with, to be honest with you.

Of course, that being said, I am currently wearing a free Pearl Jam shirt with verizon logos on it...

;)
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Very nicely said.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Me

no you don't
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Yes, PJ kicks ass. Yes they fight for the right causes in my eyes, at least, great show btw guys. I am going to complain a little though. I spent a good $$ on my tickets last night ( well, at least I did the day of they came out for sale). the least they could have done was put some video feed on the screens they had set up at the PJ concert. I mean the best part besides the music is seeing the animation on their faces when they're playing. I had to wait this many years to play "Kids in the hall"? because I was so far away. :( At least I got my Ament shirt though. And the concert was good.

Peace, Love,and Happiness Always.

Hey next time don't wait so long to visit Central Florida okay? Take care and have a good rest of your tour.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Wow, that was an unbelievable fucking post. I think you just put into words what a lot of people around here have been thinking lately.........
  • Options
    It was also nice to meet some of the people from the thread at Hattricks. I had a blast there! I couldn't think of a better group to be around. Later taters.
  • Options
    Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Gonzo for Prime Minister.....
    Peace,
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    ooooh, this is a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet post

and well overdue
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    Well Said
  • Options
    no you don't

Ha Ha...well I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I just did.

thanks
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    THANK YOUUU!!!

whoever said that verizon was a part of anything other than giving people music? i kind of thought thats what people wanted no? music? and theyre doing it in a cheap way, giving people 3 songs, one of which, is FREE!

guys, theyre doing the best they can! they saw an opportunity to bring music to the (whining) masses in a way they've never done before, probably expecting to be like "oh cool, i've got a free song for my phone!" but no, all they get is an uproar and a crazy amount of people calling them a sell-out.

this is a band that isnt that familiar with new advances in technology, heck, ed still types on a typewriter for crying out loud! they probably just thought to themselves, whats the best way to get people their music, and they chose an option that might work out for the majority of their fans, and if they didnt like it, well theres 3 more ways, flac, mp3, and cds.

theyre not sell-outs, far from it! theyre just trying to give us what we want, and i for one, think that theyre doing a pretty damn good job for people that all they have to do is make music. they dont HAVE to give us bootlegs or posters or a whole lot of other stuff they give us. they dont HAVE to make their tickets under $200, and they dont HAVE to play rarities, they dont have to do much of anything for us! theyre artists and they can play what they want, do what they want, but no, they play for us, listen to what WE have to say and plan their tours accordingly. we should be worshipping the ground that they, and the 10c walks on instead of talk shit about them every single time they try and do something nice for us.

theyre human and will most likely make mistakes, and they try and try to correct them, and theres a whole lot of people out there talking trash. and i dont mind if you dont like a particular poster or song, but please, ENOUGH with the harsh comments, and the accusing people of stuff and being ungrateful!

ugh. see what happens when you start a rant, it just makes me feel like ranting as well. but there. im done. good bye.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Very good post, very well thought out, I could not have said it better myself.

I just hope that the people who actually "have their heads in their asses" read this and are able to pull their heads out.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

thanks

I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    peopel are pissed about the verizon thing....fine, i guess those people are a little more punk rock than the rest of us.

but it benefits you!

you get a free shirt, free bag, free poster and a free immagine dvd for bringing in an old phone, charger or battery........why would this piss you off?
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I agree with your overall message, but I don't think there's anything wrong with constructive criticism without stepping over the line. Relative to your main point, I have no problem with the video screens advertising Verizon before the show, but why the heck not just take the next step and use them during the show?

The problem is that there are quite a few folks who not only step over the line, but dance and spit on it as they pass. There's also the subset of folks that just love to rain on someone else's parade.

You know, I really didn't need to get up this morning after a fanstastic evening of PJ and friends to read that some loser who wasn't even there thought the setlist sucked and the poster I wanted (but was sold out) sucked.

To you sad folks, I say find something that makes you happy.

Life is short.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    I don't get it. You want bootlegs, they're getting you bootlegs. Not only are they getting you fucking FOUR options to pick from, but for one of those options, the mobile bootleg, you don't even have to get off your ass and get on the computer. You literally only have to move your fingers. Maybe we should go back to the days of tapers only where you don't really know what you're getting. Sheesh.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    ooooh, this is a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet post

and well overdue

yes it is on both counts...
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    Wow, that was an unbelievable fucking post. I think you just put into words what a lot of people around here have been thinking lately.........

Like mine, thanks!
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • Options
    I'm afraid you're mistaken.[/quote

okay
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    losts of bitching int he posts today...6/13 - who doesn't want to hear YL - set lists suck - posters are ugly.

Response : leave early before the play it - don't go then - don't buy one. STOP BITCHING! so critical of every little thing.

someone was complaining because Ed screws up the lyrics sometimes. He sings a gazillion different songs - he's bound to screw up sometimes. Whatever - if it's all so horrible why waste your time, money & energy. They are touring! be happy - I am.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Me
    no you don't
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

thanks
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

okay
    hehe LOL. doesn't much to amuse me. :):D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    Gonzo1977 ... excellent post! TY!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    A very intelligent and well thought out post. Kudos to you for speaking your mind freely and also kudos to those here that didn't just attack you because they disagreed. You make many valid points and I enjoyed reading about your point of view.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    ScottZeagleScottZeagle Posts: 169
    The funny thing is, I could care less about the Verizon thing, t-shirt quality, or ugly poster...yet I am still pissed off that Ed didn't allow open audio recording at his solo shows.

Maybe that means that I care more the actual music than the surrounding bullshit...(that has grown).

;)