Options

Parking in New York

JerseyOceansJerseyOceans Posts: 6
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I'm going to the second night in NY to see Ed and was just wondering what the parking situation is like up there
Fairfax 4/8/94
Camden 8/28/98
Camden 8/29/98
Camden 9/1/00
Camden 9/2/00
Philly 4/28/03
Camden 7/5/03
Camden 7/6/03
Ottawa 9/16/05
Atlantic City 10/1/05
Philly 10/3/05
Camden 5/27/06
Camden 5/28/06
Eddie San Diego 4/16/08
Camden 6/19/08
Camden 6/20/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    As a Michigander fresh off this past tour, save yourself. Go to Weehawken, take the ferry over. Use cabs and the sub from there. You'll be thankful. Unless your rich. Then park away in Manhattan my friend.
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    Thanks
    Fairfax 4/8/94
    Camden 8/28/98
    Camden 8/29/98
    Camden 9/1/00
    Camden 9/2/00
    Philly 4/28/03
    Camden 7/5/03
    Camden 7/6/03
    Ottawa 9/16/05
    Atlantic City 10/1/05
    Philly 10/3/05
    Camden 5/27/06
    Camden 5/28/06
    Eddie San Diego 4/16/08
    Camden 6/19/08
    Camden 6/20/08
  • Options
    DO NOT DRIVE IN TO MANHATTAN

repeat

repeat

repeat

repeat

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391

repeat

repeat

repeat

repeat

y the f not?
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    well, the theater is on 175th avenue (Washington Heights/Inwood), wayy off the main 'Manhattan' bustle i think. But still, if anyone knows how much is the parking around there it would be helpful. Plus the theater is right off I-95, so should'nt be THAT difficult of a drive.

I'm coming in from CT and i'm debating whether to take the train or drive. If the parking is going to cost as much as it does in Midtown, i'd rather take the train.
    my signature.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218

repeat

repeat

repeat

repeat

why not? I drive in for shows all the time. Never had a problem. Sure it might cost you 30 to park, but you can usually find a spot for free if you give yourself a little time before hand.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    why not? I drive in for shows all the time. Never had a problem. Sure it might cost you 30 to park, but you can usually find a spot for free if you give yourself a little time before hand.

you are a STONER,
    and you drive in to manhattan?

lay off the pipe!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    you are a STONER,

they got GOOD PIZZA!!!
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    you are a STONER,

lay off the pipe!

I drive because you cant smoke on the train.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    From some of the other threads, it's been stated that parking near the venue was a hassle. Better off using the subway. You could park in the village, then subway it up. Afterwards, hang out in the village and your car is already there. You could drive to Jersey City or Hoboken, take the PATH then sub it uptown. Only advantage to parking by the United Palace is it's close to the GWB.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    nadja_veddernadja_vedder Posts: 291
    I just checked the parking rate close to the venue, and there are two places on Broadway that are just under $16.00 to park, a lot cheaper than midtown.
    I would say that if you are going with more people and you leave closed by, you might as well drive down there, it will be cheaper than paying a train ticket for each of you.
    The website is bestparking.com, check it for yourselves!
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    well, the theater is on 175th avenue (Washington Heights/Inwood), wayy off the main 'Manhattan' bustle i think. But still, if anyone knows how much is the parking around there it would be helpful. Plus the theater is right off I-95, so should'nt be THAT difficult of a drive.

I'm coming in from CT and i'm debating whether to take the train or drive. If the parking is going to cost as much as it does in Midtown, i'd rather take the train.

The George Washington Bridge sucks!!!!! It is so unpredictable. I have gotten stuck going over the bridge multiple times for over an hour! I would check the traffic before I left my home , in western NJ, and by the time I got to the bridge, an hour latter, there would be a ridiculous wait. Avoid the GWB at all cost, specially when you got some where important to go like an Eddie Vedder Show.

Oh wait from CT you dont go over the GWB... but yeah traffic in that whole area sucks...( But for everyone else... Beware of the GWB!!!!!!!!)
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    The George Washington Bridge sucks!!!!! It is so unpredictable. I have gotten stuck going over the bridge multiple times for over an hour! I would check the traffic before I left my home , in western NJ, and by the time I got to the bridge, an hour latter, there would be a ridiculous wait. Avoid the GWB at all cost, specially when you got some where important to go like an Eddie Vedder Show.

Oh wait from CT you dont go over the GWB... but yeah traffic in that whole area sucks...( But for everyone else... Beware of the GWB!!!!!!!!)

yeah i know. i would have forgotten about driving if it involved going through the GW. we're taking the Merrit-hutchinson-crosscountry-henry Hudson and avoiding the I95 altogether. might take 95 when returning though.
    my signature.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    take the subway up to washington heights
    the 1 train stops right near the venue

I would drive, the venue is easy to get to from the westside highway- but give yourself PLENTY of time to arrive and park. it is near the GWB nightmare that starts around 4 and doesnt get better until 7:30-8
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    From some of the other threads, it's been stated that parking near the venue was a hassle. Better off using the subway. You could park in the village, then subway it up. Afterwards, hang out in the village and your car is already there. You could drive to Jersey City or Hoboken, take the PATH then sub it uptown. Only advantage to parking by the United Palace is it's close to the GWB.

You know the one thing my boyfriend and I have found out that it is actually cheaper-and sometimes quicker-to drive into NYC through the Lincoln Tunnel and then park there, instead of Parking in Hoboken and taking the path. There is on parking garage right there when you get out of the tunnel. You take a left then you literately run into it on 42.

Most of the time we just gauge the traffic when getting close to the tunnel and decide whether the tunnel or the path will be quicker.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami