Options

Spectrum- please read

phillyjamphillyjam Posts: 109
edited June 2008 in The Porch
This is a thread for those of you who agree with this idea. Please do not get on and say that the east coast gets enough shows, or madison square garden is way cooler, or that Boston has the best fans. The Specturm has about one more good year left to live before she's torn to pieces and made into an amusement complex. There are already rumors of the sixers and flyers playing a game or two in the old building. Why not send the Spectrum out with a bang and have a couple of legends do a few week run of concerts. Billy Joel and Bruce have to play there. I think they've played there like over 30 times each. Why not Pearl Jam? They could do a two night run maybe say Thursday and Saturday. The shows would be crazy and fans from all along the east coast would flock to the area. We need to make this happen.
E-Cent9/2/00Spectrum4/28/03StateColl.5/3/03 Tor6/28/03Mont6/29/03Tweet 7/5/03,7/6/03Reading10/1/04Borgata10/1/05
Wach.10/3/05Tweet5/27/06,5/28/06
Continental6/3/06,Forum7/9/06,7/10/06, Fonda7/12/06SantaBarb7/13/06SanFran7/16/06 7/18/06Lolla8/5/07Tweet6/19/08,6/20/08,D.C.6/22/08MSG6/25/08Tor8/21/09 Spec 3 shows
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Sorry to be all cliche and go against your wishes, but I hate the idea, people from the East coast would not flock more than usual I reckon, and every city has it's own fave arena that is going to be or has been torn down. Be cool Philly, be cool.

The spectrum ain't Wrigley, it ain't Fenway, it aint MSG, it ain't......well it ain't that special of a place.

Again, sorry to be a downer, who knows maybe I am in the minority here and I will get shouted down by Spectrum love.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Sorry to be all cliche and go against your wishes, but I hate the idea, people from the East coast would not flock more than usual I reckon, and every city has it's own fave arena that is going to be or has been torn down. Be cool Philly, be cool.

The spectrum ain't Wrigley, it ain't Fenway, it aint MSG, it ain't......well it ain't that special of a place.

Again, sorry to be a downer, who knows maybe I am in the minority here and I will get shouted down by Spectrum love.
    say that to eddie and jeff and see what they say back. The spectrum is unreal and ask anyone who went there in 2003 what they think about the venue for a pj show. What in the world to u know about the spectrum were u from?
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

yeah well you live in michigan so I dont expect you to know the significance of the building
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Options
    yo JamminPearls....whats up my Bucks Co. brother
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Options
    yo JamminPearls....whats up my Bucks Co. brother
    levittown in the house,well now fairless hills.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    at the end of camden 2, ed said "say goodbye to the spectrum for us", so looks like he at least knows its going away. the show in '03 was great.
  • Options
    yeah well you live in michigan so I dont expect you to know the significance of the building

Why, cause of Dr. J? Moses Malone? the irreplaceable Hersey Hawkins. Explain.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Dear Sexy2afault : dude.. obviously you've never been at a show at the spectrum! Legendary for its sound.. and thats what its all about!

The wachovia center (right near the spectrum) had INSANELY good sound (not to mention was just one of the best pj shows in history) and people were telling me that the spectrum was even better..

I would absolutely love to see Pearl jam rock that place out just once more..
    I bet like 1,000s would agree with me and attend as well :)
  • Options
    levittown in the house,well now fairless hills.

well looks like we are neighbors
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Options
    well looks like we are neighbors
    were u at my friend?
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    say that to eddie and jeff and see what they say back. The spectrum is unreal and ask anyone who went there in 2003 what they think about the venue for a pj show. What in the world to u know about the spectrum were u from?
    if it's so great, why didn't they play a show there on this tour?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    not there tour manager so i can't give u the actual reason. My guess is that the timing of them being around here just didn't match up with whatever the spectrum had going on. I know they tried hard to play at it in 05 but couldn't so they rocked the roof off of the big joint instead. Ever listen to wachovia 2005 show i think ed tells everyone how he feels about the spectrum!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    not there tour manager so i can't give u the actual reason. My guess is that the timing of them being around here just didn't match up with whatever the spectrum had going on. I know they tried hard to play at it in 05 but couldn't so they rocked the roof off of the big joint instead. Ever listen to wachovia 2005 show i think ed tells everyone how he feels about the spectrum!
    the 05 boot is freakin sick
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    hasigawahasigawa Posts: 55
    Why, cause of Dr. J? Moses Malone? the irreplaceable Hersey Hawkins. Explain.

I'm not even a Philly fan but I'm guessing you know very little of the building that housed 4 NBA Finals, 6 Stanley Cup Finals, 4 different All-Star games, Kobe in high school, your very own Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton in high school games, possibly one of the greatest moments in NCAA Tourney history in the Christian Laettner shot not to mention countless Billy Joel, Bruce, and Grateful Dead shows (53 GD to be exact).............oh and forgot, 2 NCAA final fours. Other notable Sixers you missed : Allen Iverson, Mo Cheeks, Bobby Jones, Andrew Toney, Charles Barkley not to mention quite a few Flyers greats

As I said, I am not a Philly fan by any means but the Spectrum is one of the best venues for a concert........
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

The Phillies probably had a home game and their stadium is right next door, plus June in that building would be a hot night.............
  • Options
    i saw Foo Fighters at the Spectrum in February.....an electric environment!

jamminpearls-- i am also in fairless hills
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Options
    WilliedogWilliedog Posts: 43
    Spectrum will always hold a special place in my heart, seen my very first nba games there and quite a few concerts!! It would be awesome to have PJ play there one last time but I dont think it will happen!!!!
  • Options
    hasigawa wrote:
    I'm not even a Philly fan but I'm guessing you know very little of the building that housed 4 NBA Finals, 6 Stanley Cup Finals, 4 different All-Star games, Kobe in high school, your very own Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton in high school games, possibly one of the greatest moments in NCAA Tourney history in the Christian Laettner shot not to mention countless Billy Joel, Bruce, and Grateful Dead shows (53 GD to be exact).............oh and forgot, 2 NCAA final fours. Other notable Sixers you missed : Allen Iverson, Mo Cheeks, Bobby Jones, Andrew Toney, Charles Barkley not to mention quite a few Flyers greats

As I said, I am not a Philly fan by any means but the Spectrum is one of the best venues for a concert........

That was the answer I was thinking, that is why I am not impressed, every venue has similarness.

However, apparently it has legendary sound, I guess that is why it is exceptionally great.
  • Options

Ain't that special!?!?! Did Rocky Balboa fight Apollo Creed for the first time at any of those other joints? No...it was at the Spectrum.:)
  • Options
    That was the answer I was thinking, that is why I am not impressed, every venue has similarness.

However, apparently it has legendary sound, I guess that is why it is exceptionally great.

Look, it's not the Big House or the Silverdome, however those places are not the greatest concert venues either (Joe Louis and the Palace are nice but not in the same class historically)..............I'd be interested in going to a PJ show at either though just to see the size of the crowd.........

Another thing being from up north that you don't get to marvel about the spectrum and the whole Philly stadium vibe is that currently there are 4 major sports facilities that basically are in a row where you can walk from the first to the last in 10 minutes, it's pretty crazy. Before Citizen Bank and Lincoln Financial there were JFK and the Vet, JFK was a legendary outdoor concert facility while the Vet was an old cookie cutter stadium which was a lot of fun but dirty as sin...........
  • Options
    Those that havent been at the Spectrum and havent lived an experience(s) there thoughout the years have no idea of the history and nostalgia. The arena is alive and you can feel it. The seating is right at or on top of the headline, its quaint, and comfortable. Its a symbol of the working class men and women of Philadelphia, not this overpriced plush corporate bullshit that gets jammed down our throats. Its unexplainable, its the old saying "you just had to be there". Believe me I will be there when they tear it down.

Long live the Spectrum... peace out, from Newtown, Bucks.
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    hasigawa wrote:
    The Phillies probably had a home game and their stadium is right next door, plus June in that building would be a hot night.............
    Even if the Phillies had a home game, that would have nothing to do with anything going on at the Spectrum. There's plenty of parking there. I went to a show at the Spectrum when there was a sixers game next door and a phillies game at the other next door.
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    LukinFan wrote:

Well everybody gets a hard on for MSG, but if that place is so great why didn't they play a show there in 2006? Or 2000?
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    They should definitely do it. It'd be sick!!!!
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    voorsonvoorson Posts: 7
    I saw AC/DC 4 times in the Spectrum, saw Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, and a host of others...some of the greatest shows I have seen.

Its a great concert venue
  • Options
    Ain't that special!?!?! Did Rocky Balboa fight Apollo Creed for the first time at any of those other joints? No...it was at the Spectrum.:)

Hell Yeah....Rocky is a real person in Philly. The list of champs goes Ali, Frazier, Creed, Balboa.....we always have that discussion when we go there its awesome how something can become part of life like that.
    "Fuck this Fuckin' Chocolate Factory!"

• Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    hasigawa wrote:

Not to mention that some legendary tours by Led Zeppelin, the Who and the Stones stopped at the Spectrum; it was definitely a pivotal stop during the 70s.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    xkevvx wrote:
    Even if the Phillies had a home game, that would have nothing to do with anything going on at the Spectrum. There's plenty of parking there. I went to a show at the Spectrum when there was a sixers game next door and a phillies game at the other next door.

I'm sure it comes down to money.
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:

major league schedules kind of dictate the area and sometimes they can't avoid them however when they can avoid them such as with a concert, they will especially when The Mann and Camden are still functioning.........PJ at the Mann would probably be a cool venue as well.

As for skipping MSG in 2006, it had to do with scheduling as they were doing some work on the Garden..........
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    that was a kick ass show love for them to play there again.
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!