Options

Cameron's Who You Are

culot4culot4 Posts: 775
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I maintained for the longest time that if the band ever started playing Who You Are again that Matt Cameron wouldn't be able to do it justice. To me, that song was Jack Irons biggest imprint on the band, and something that could never be captured by anyone else.

When I heard it in DC I was so shocked they were actually playing it that I never got the chance to really listen to it yet. It could have been terrible but still great sort of thing because it was so totally in the moment.

So I picked up WPB, and have been listening to one song pretty much all day. Matt really did a nice job on this song. I've listened to Berlin and WPB back to back and there is really not that big of a difference in the drumming from what I can tell except the sound stays constantly deep.( I'm not a drummer and don't know the correct terminology) He keeps really good rhythm the whole way despite Ed botching the lyrics.

I guess the point is for a show of appreciation to a song I love that I didn't think they could ever pull off with Cameron. Good work Matt. You aren't quite as revered as Jack, but you're a little closer.
Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Gotta agree. I think he did it well enough.

WMA however has changed. It lost a lot of the power from the drums and bass and is much looser. Not Matt's fault though... it seems the band wants to do it that way.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Gotta agree. I think he did it well enough.

WMA however has changed. It lost a lot of the power from the drums and bass and is much looser. Not Matt's fault though... it seems the band wants to do it that way.

WMA just starts differently. Once it gets going, the verses have that same tribal feel they always did.

The chorus part, meanwhile, just fuckin' slams ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    the drums are just different on both, Matt doesn;t play with Jacks pitter patter and the reckless hell beating of Dave, he for me lies in between the two. I will say Matt OWNED Go at the Garden

WMA and who you are lacked a little due to the sound ingraned in our heads from the lp's. I was thrilled for them both and would not trade them!