Options

What to do in Santa Cruz?

acjc1acjc1 Posts: 49
edited February 2008 in The Porch
So...heading in from NYC for the show. Will be in San Fran for a few days before. Is there enough to do around Santa Cruz to head down early and spend the day before the show? Perhaps we set a spot to meet-up with other fans, board members, whoever before the show?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    it really is a surfer, beach/boardwalk town. If you like any of those things, there is stuff to do. There a few places to eat around the boardwalk but usually very expensive (unless you eat the deep fried twinkies and garlic fries at the Boardwalk - of course BEFORE going on the Big Dipper!!).

My friends and I usually eat out near Highway 1 at a place called the Santa Cruz Diner. It's modestly priced and has everything from coconut/curry tofu to blueberry pancakes to fish and chips.

I suggest walking around and taking in the beach, finding a nice place to eat and maybe some Skee ball. A pleasant time is guaranteed for all....
  • Options
    ChuyChuy Posts: 37
    The Boardwalk is Cool if you have kids, if not dont even bother. Your best bet is walk downtown on Pacific Avenue ( one and a half blocks form the civic) there are a bunch of shops from Art to skate and there are many Places to eat. If you feel like having a drink there are numerous bars or pubs to hang out. If you do feel like seeing the Beach you can get stuck in The tourist trap they call "The Boardwalk" or you can drive up the Hill on Westcliff and check out all the Scenery, its beautiful. Good luck.
  • Options
    Monterey is 30 minutes down the coast...Half Moon Bay is 30 minutes up the coast. Both are great places to check out.

Chill out Cafe has some tasty breakfast burritos in Santa Cruz...Check 41st ave for the best pizza in CA...Pleasure Pizza. Chances are that Ed will catch a few waves while in town, and I'm thinking he'll be out at 41st. Grab a slice, walk down to the ocean and watch the surfers...Friday is my best guest for an Ed sighting...

Pacific Ave, downtown, has a lot of shopping and the Catalyst is there....PJ has played there a few times so you may wanna visit there...

Its a pretty normal little town...people are nice in general, but there is definitely a bit of a 'locals only' mentality...

Hope this is helpful.
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    10/19,20/96 11/15/97 7/16/98 10/30,31/99
    10/30,31/00 10/20,21/01 6/1/03 10/25,26/03
    7/13,15,16,18/06 4/5,7,8/08, 8/28/09, *7/9,11,12/11*
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    I agree with everyone on here, boardwalk is kind of boring unless youre bringing kids. Downtown SC is pretty cool and that town is fantastic on a nice day. You might want to also check out the beaches at Capitola.
    2003 - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio | 2006 - Bridge School, Las Vegas, San Fran(x3) | 2008 - EV Santa Cruz, Berkeley, MSG 2
    2010 - Bridge School | 2012 - EV Austin | 2013 - Dallas | 2018 - Rome | 2022 - Oakland Night 1
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    take your sk8board!!!
    one love

respect
  • Options
    I would spend your time in SF and just go to Santa Cruz for the show...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Go here. You will be happy you did. Fun and different.

http://www.mysteryspot.com/parking.shtml
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    It's one of the most gorgeous cities. I loved the beach, I thought it was so beautiful.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    acjc1acjc1 Posts: 49
    Thanks!
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    vedhead10 wrote:
    Monterey is 30 minutes down the coast...Half Moon Bay is 30 minutes up the coast. Both are great places to check out.

Chill out Cafe has some tasty breakfast burritos in Santa Cruz...Check 41st ave for the best pizza in CA...Pleasure Pizza. Chances are that Ed will catch a few waves while in town, and I'm thinking he'll be out at 41st. Grab a slice, walk down to the ocean and watch the surfers...Friday is my best guest for an Ed sighting...

Pacific Ave, downtown, has a lot of shopping and the Catalyst is there....PJ has played there a few times so you may wanna visit there...

Its a pretty normal little town...people are nice in general, but there is definitely a bit of a 'locals only' mentality...

Hope this is helpful.

Half Moon Bay is my goal this time out. One of my fave places on earth!
    Just me
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    If you like surf... check out legendary Mavericks at Half Moon Bay. It is one of the most trecherous and impressive big wave sites on the planet. Spring swell is not as big as the big Winter swells... but, you get an idea of what it is like. There were 50 footers this past mid-February.
    But note... like Waimea Bay, these waves break pretty far off shore, about 1/2 mile off... so don't expect to see these things crashing on the beach.
    It is an impressive sight on big days... just be sure to remember the Coastal Environment and respect it.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    the beach?

I'm not an expert (I live in the midwest...)

when in your shoes, GO TO THE OCEAN!

Tilt your face to the sun... catch some rays and enjoy the fresh air...

go to a venue and see your show!

:D
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Mushrooms.
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    I am flying in from CT. Which is a better day trip, Monterey (17 mile drive) or half moon bay?
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    Hi guys. My first post. I'm from Italy but will be flying from Boston for the show.
    Despite some web research I haven't figured out which is the better way to get to SC from SF (ang go back to SF after the show). I've seen that the Greyhound buses don't ride often. I was reading about Caltrain and 17 Express but still I'm a bit confused. Maybe it would be better to rent a car?
    Thanks.
    Bologna 2006, Verona 2006, Pistoia 2006, EV Santa Cruz 2008, NYC 1&2 2008, Hartford 2008, Mansfield 1&2 2008, EV Boston 1&2 2008, EV Albany 2 2009, PJ20_1, Berlin 1&2 2012, Stockholm 2012
  • Options
    morphine wrote:
    Hi guys. My first post. I'm from Italy but will be flying from Boston for the show.
    Despite some web research I haven't figured out which is the better way to get to SC from SF (ang go back to SF after the show). I've seen that the Greyhound buses don't ride often. I was reading about Caltrain and 17 Express but still I'm a bit confused. Maybe it would be better to rent a car?
    Thanks.
    From what I know, I would definitely suggest renting a car. I live in San Francisco and I will be renting a car to get to SC that day.

I know nothing about Greyhound buses....and Caltrain runs between SF and San Jose, that ride alone takes about an hour. Then I imagine you'd have to take a bus from San Jose to SC (maybe that's the 17 Express you mentioned). So you probably looking at 1.5 hour trip each way.

So for the sake of time (and reliability), I'd suggest renting a car. The only down-side to that would be trying to find parking in SF.

Oh, and welcome to the board! :)
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Options
    Ample Jar wrote:
    From what I know, I would definitely suggest renting a car. I live in San Francisco and I will be renting a car to get to SC that day.

I know nothing about Greyhound buses....and Caltrain runs between SF and San Jose, that ride alone takes about an hour. Then I imagine you'd have to take a bus from San Jose to SC (maybe that's the 17 Express you mentioned). So you probably looking at 1.5 hour trip each way.

So for the sake of time (and reliability), I'd suggest renting a car. The only down-side to that would be trying to find parking in SF.

Oh, and welcome to the board! :)

Great! You definitely cleared my mind! I'll go for the car then!
    Thanks!
    Bologna 2006, Verona 2006, Pistoia 2006, EV Santa Cruz 2008, NYC 1&2 2008, Hartford 2008, Mansfield 1&2 2008, EV Boston 1&2 2008, EV Albany 2 2009, PJ20_1, Berlin 1&2 2012, Stockholm 2012
  • Options
    QuietRiotActQuietRiotAct San Francisco Posts: 28
    Walk from the lighthouse to Natural Bridges, look to your left the entire time. Good chance in April you'll see dolphins, whales and around Getchell street, Ed may be in the water catching some surf.

At night go see live music - jambase.com

Food
    Charlie Hong Kong - cheap, delicious
    Crows Nest, on the beach, pricier
    Mobo Sushi - fresh
    Pizza my heart
    Taqueria Vallarta

Drinks before the show - The Red Room

Have a great time!
    Santa Cruz, Berkeley '08, '11 Bridge, Ohana '21

SF '95, SF I, II, III '06
    Sacto '98 Vegas '00 Sacto '00
    Mtn View '00 '03
    Boston '03
    Mansfield I,II '08
     OSL '09
     SF '12
     LA I,
    Oak,
    PDX '13
    Mexico '15
    FLL, Miami, '16
    Nola, FENWAY I, II '16
    Ohana '21
    Oak I, II "22

• Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    dlymnfld wrote:
    I am flying in from CT. Which is a better day trip, Monterey (17 mile drive) or half moon bay?

17 Mile Drive is gorgeous on a clear day but you'll hit traffic and crowds on a nice weekend. The aquarium is very good, especially with kids.

I'd vote for Half Moon Bay though. The whole drive from Santa Cruz to SF on Hwy 1 is beautiful and mostly undeveloped with several interesting beaches and Pigeon Point Lighthouse along the way. Waddell Creek Beach is a classic Northern CA beach big with windsurfers and great for kites.

Be forewarned, the Bay Area and the coast down to Monterey is very pricey (restaurants, gas, hotels). In Half Moon Bay, Taqueria La Mexicana right on Highway 1 as you come into town, is good and cheap. HMB is a very small town, the attraction here is the ocean.

Also, Santa Cruz has two record stores with collectibles and vinyl right on Pacific Ave. a block or so from the Civic. Check out Logo's and Streetlight Records. The Del Mar Theatre across the street is a original, fully restored deco-era movie house showing current films if you have the time.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”