Options

Question about Rearview Mirror

Yellow LedbennerYellow Ledbenner Posts: 54
edited November 2008 in The Porch
At the end of the song, you hear drum sticks falling to the ground. A friend of mine told me that this was Dave's last song that he recorded with the band and when it was over, he slammed the sticks and walked out.

Is this true or was he just rockin' the hell out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    not true. the drum part was hard and he had to do it over and over again because it wasn't perfect, so when he finally nailed it he through them in triumph
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    At the end of the song, you hear drum sticks falling to the ground. A friend of mine told me that this was Dave's last song that he recorded with the band and when it was over, he slammed the sticks and walked out.

It's true that it is Dave throwing his sticks. He did it out of frustration because Brendan O'Brien put a lot of pressure on him during the recording of the track. It was definately not the last track he recorded with the band because he recorded the drums for Vitalogy.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Yeahm it definitely wasn't his last song... but he threw them down because Eddie had made him do the track over and over again because Ed wasn't happy with it... Dave thought it was ok so was getting more and more frustrated so threw them across the room/against the wall on the last take.

Edit - Eddie/Brian... someone didn't think it was right :p
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • Options
    Yeahm it definitely wasn't his last song... but he threw them down because Eddie had made him do the track over and over again because Ed wasn't happy with it... Dave thought it was ok so was getting more and more frustrated so threw them across the room/against the wall on the last take.

Edit - Eddie/Brian... someone didn't think it was right :p

Brendan O'Brien
  • Options
    Brendan O'Brien

Lol, yeah I knew someone wasn't happy with it, thought it was Ed, but I edited my post cos I wasn't sure.
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • Options
    haha thanks for the responses. well I'M happy with it. One of my favorites
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    i love hearing the drumsticks at the end - it adds something to the song
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    A little known fact.

The hour was getting late. Eddie, Stone, Jeff and Mike were out back shooting hoops completley unaware of the trouble brewing in the studio.

Brendon O'Brian and Dave A were recording the drum track for Rearviewmirror.

Brendon was riding Dave really hard in order to get a very agressive drum take; as per the order of the songs writer: Eddie Vedder.

Dave A was trying his hardest to make his producer and Lead Singer proud. However he just couldn't get the drum track right.

Brendon was getting really fustrated with Dave A and a loud argument ensued.

To both Dave A and Brendon O'Brien's surprize...Phil Collins, successful solo artist and famous singer/ drummer for the band Genesis was next door in the other studio recording another in a series of horrifcally mediocre solo albums that he had become known for at this particular stage of his career.

Phil Collins while meditating, heard the comotion going on in the next studio.

Pounded loudly on the wall and shouted

"YOU GUYS ARE WRECKING MY VIBE"!!

Out of respect to Phil Collins, Brendon and Dave decided to calm down and give the drum track another go.

But...Dave once again blew the track and once again an argument ensued

Brendon started being a real dickhead and warned Dave A that if he didn't get the drums right on this next take that "Perhaps they would have to get Phil Collins to come in and drum on this track"

This smart ass comment really pissed Dave A off and the drummer charged Brendon and the 2 men got into a violent scuffle.

Phil Collins fed up that his meditation was being ruined, burst into the studio and broke up the fight.

Dave A. got up, pushed Phil Collins aside, and then stormed out of the studio crying and went home.

Brendon was fustrated.

Time was becoming a major issue and he desperately needed the drum track to be completed and mixed.

But of course, without a drummer...this was going to be very difficult.

Brendon out of complete desperation pleaded for Phil Collins to get behind the kit and complete the ending of the song.

Phil refused at first but soon conceded upon the enticing promise of the world famous "Brendon O' Brien Neck Massage".

Phil got behind the drums and Brendon went into the control room to record Phil.

The track was going better than expected when all of sudden, just as Phil was finishing up...Eddie walked into the control room.

Eddie was furious

Eddie: "BRENDON, WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE"??
    "WHERE THE HELL IS DAVE A, AND WHO THE FUCK IS THIS BALD GUY"?

Brendon: "Eddie, I'm sorry Dave couldn't hack it, so we got Phil Collins to..."

Eddie: "PHIL FUCKING COLLINS"??? "PHIL FUCKING COLLINS...BRENDON"??

Eddie then stormed into the studio and pointed his finger at Phil Collins...

Phil scared shitless, threw his drum sticks against the wall and ran from the studio.

Amazingly enough, upon playback of the recorded Phil Collins drum track, the band was shockingly satisfied with the track and deemed it to be "Total Pro" as well as "the finest drum take of the session".

The track despite the drum sticks thrown against the wall was called "a keeper" and so the Phill Collins drum take actually ended up on the Vs. Album.

Neither Phil Collin's or Dave A were ever told of this.

Ever since Dave A's departure from the band, it has been a running joke between Brendon O' Brien and the remaining members of Pearl Jam that when a drum track is not going as planned that they all share a hardy laugh over the comment:

"Where is Phil Fucking Collins When You Need Him" :)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    A little known fact.

The hour was getting late. Eddie, Stone, Jeff and Mike were out back shotting hoops completley unaware of the trouble brewing in the studio.

Brendon was riding Dave really hard in order to get a very agressive drum take; as per the order of the songs writer: Eddie Vedder.

Dave A was trying his hardest to make his producer and Lead Singer proud. However he just couldn't get the drum track right.

To both Dave A and Brendon O'Brien's surprize...Phil Collins, successful solo artist and famous singer/ drummer for the band Genesis was next door in the other studio recording another in a series of horrifcally mediocre solo albums that he had become known for at this particular stage of his career.

Out of respect to Phil Collins, Brendon and Dave decided to calm down and give the drum track another go.

Brendon started being a real dickhead and warned Dave A that if he didn't get the drums right on this next take that "Perhaps they would have to get Phil Collins to come in and drum on this track"

This smart ass comment really pissed Dave A off and the drummer charged Brendon and the 2 men got into a violent scuffle.

Phil Collins fed up that his meditation was being ruined, burst into the studio and broke up the fight.

Dave A. got up, pushed Phil Collins aside, and then stormed out of the studio crying and went home.

Brendon was fustrated.

Time was becoming a major issue and he desperately needed the drum track to be completed and mixed.

But without a drummer...this was going to be very difficult to complete.

Brendon out of complete desperation pleaded for Phil Collins to get behind the kit and complete the ending of the song.

Phil refused at first but soon conceded upon the enticing promise of the world famous "Brendon O' Brien Neck Massage".

Phil got behind the drums and Brendon went into the control room to record Phil.

The track was going better than expected when all of sudden, just as Phil was finishing up...Eddie walked into the control room.

Eddie was furious

Phil scared shitless, threw his drum sticks against the wall and ran from the studio.

Amazingly enough, upon playback of the recorded Phil Collins drum track, the band was shockingly satisfied with the track and deemed it "To be the best take of the session". It was a keeper and ended up on the Vs. Album.

Ever since Dave A's departure from the band, it has been a running joke between Brendon O' Brien and the remaining members of Pearl Jam that when a drum track is not going as planned that they all share a hardy laugh over the comment:

Who would have thought phil collins?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    haha funny shit.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    Who would have thought phil collins?

I always heard it was this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YouX-PdWQIY
    "I think I kinda want it."
  • Options
    yea i remember reading about that in that RS interview by Cameron Crowe when Vs. was released. Awesome story and I do believe it makes the song just a little bit cooler.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    A little known fact.

The hour was getting late. Eddie, Stone, Jeff and Mike were out back shooting hoops completley unaware of the trouble brewing in the studio.

Brendon was fustrated.

But of course, without a drummer...this was going to be very difficult.

Eddie was furious

Amazingly enough, upon playback of the recorded Phil Collins drum track, the band was shockingly satisfied with the track and deemed it to be "Total Pro" as well as "the finest drum take of the session".

The track despite the drum sticks thrown against the wall was called "a keeper" and so the Phill Collins drum take actually ended up on the Vs. Album.

you had me going there until the fight part. Very funny. Phil fucking Collins
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    ridleyridley Posts: 164
    1/2 Empty wrote:
    I always heard it was this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YouX-PdWQIY

I always heard it was THIS guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzFRV1LwIo&feature=related

(stick it to out til the 1 min mark - it's worth it ;))
    2003-02-19 Melbourne
    2003-02-20 Melbourne
    2006-11-13 Melbourne
    2006-11-14 Melbourne
    2006-11-16 Melbourne
    2009-11-22 Sydney
    2011-03-18 Sydney
    2011-03-19 Sydney
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

Those drumsticks at the end are great! To me its as if they said yup we nailed this song now whatchu know about THAT son! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    The drum sticks appear at 0:10-0:09 left remaining.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    also...after he threw the drum sticks against the wall...

he punched a hole through his snare (head), and threw the snare off the cliff next to the studio.

neither segment was recorded (unfortunately), but this is true
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    also...after he threw the drum sticks against the wall...

he punched a hole through his snare (head), and threw the snare off the cliff next to the studio.

neither segment was recorded (unfortunately), but this is true

That's the story I heard too. Dave A. was so frustrated after the take that he punched a hole in his snare drum and flung it off a cliff.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    iamica wrote:
    That's the story I heard too. Dave A. was so frustrated after the take that he punched a hole in his snare drum and flung it off a cliff.

Yeah, I read about this whole part in Kim Neely's book Five Against One.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    iamica wrote:

Also...

That same snare drum...landed on, and crashed through, the sun roof of Phil Collins house below

Killing his cat "Buster".

I guess it's safe to say that Phil Collins is not a fan of Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Haha, looking to start writing PJ fan fics?
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government..."

http://www.myspace.com/jonjenkins
    http://thelandofoz.us
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Also...

That same snare drum...landed on, and crashed through, the sun roof of Phil Collins house below

Killing his cat "Buster".

I guess it's safe to say that Phil Collins is not a fan of Pearl Jam

Someone is going to go post that on the ultimate-guitar forums now.
  • Options
    Yeah.

I could honestly see this thing getting out of control.

Word travels fast on the Interweb.
  • Options
    I always wanted to find that cliff and look for the drum at the bottom of it. Probably not there 15 years later, but that's what I think of every time I hear that story.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.