Options

Stone Interview

simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
edited March 2008 in The Porch
It's not up on the News part of the tenclub page yet but I just got an email with the second part of the "Stone Gossard and Ken Wilber" interview.

But I've got a gripe.

The accompanying email : "Pearl Jam has been one of the most powerful forces of idealism in rock music for almost two decades. You can hear it in their lyrics and their music, you can see it in their various philanthropic work, you can feel it in their unwavering devotion to their fans."

Now I may be a lone voice here and I may be setting myself up to be shot at but ... 'unwavering devotion to their fans' ?

Not if you live in England !

Ok, ok, I know that the relationship we have with this incredibly special group of people and the music they make and the things that say can sometimes seem to transcend life, spirituality, the universe or something, and like any hardcore fan we will salivate over absolutely anything : new album or live dates or new news about our band. But am I alone in just wanting to speak out and say that Pearl Jam have given England (and Ireland, Scotland and Wales) a pretty shitty deal over the years ?

The band have now not toured England in EIGHT YEARS. Their only appearances in that time were the intimate and incredible night at London's Astoria - which was possibly attended by as many industry people as Ten Club members, two festival appearances - which can't really count as Pearl Jam shows, and a solitary Wembley Arena gig - missing out the rest of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. I'm really sorry, but 4 gigs in eight years certainly does not show 'unwavering devotion', certainly not to their English fans.

Even saying this I know I'm blessed in that PJ play my home country and I don't have to get on a plane or a boat to see them - I got the bus home the last time I saw them ! - and I'm so thankful for that. But this is ENGLAND, not Luxembourg or something.

Honestly, I'm grateful and I love PJ as much as the next man - but I can't put up with this mindless doormat attitude people can have sometimes and I hate seeing people talk about 'unwavering devotion' when, if I'm really honest, it doesn't look like it to me.

At Wembley last year Eddie said something like how it had been seven years since they had played there and how 'it didn't feel that long'.

Sorry Ed mate. It did.
"If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
Reading 06
Arras 10
Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
Prague 12
Berlin 12
Leeds 14
Milton Keynes 14