Options

What do you keep?

drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I'm in the process of purging things, because I'm convinced that when I die, my grandchildren will be going through my belongings and cursing me for holding onto so many things.

There are the obvious Pearl Jam-related things to keep, like t-shirts, posters, 10Club singles, magazines, DVDs, and the bootlegs. (My grandchildren will hate me.)

Do you keep the newsletters? Or do you recycle them?
drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Keep what you like and let your grandkids recycle them.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I keep almost everything, but I'm organized. It's all in files, well labeled, on excel, etc. :) I know my mom worried about it, but when she died she had already transfered most everything over to me to take care of. Still she had quite a bit, but it wasn't that hard and I have good memories of going through it all. It was just part of the grieving and healing process to me. If you keep who is going to end up with your stuff involved, at least a little bit, it shouldn't be something you should be worried about. :) We both have collections and have noted who to contact when something happens to us. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Keep what you like and let your grandkids recycle them.

Yeah, I think either way, they will end up very irritated with me.
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    stillalivejlpstillalivejlp Massachusetts Posts: 76
    I keep everything. Except for a bootleg video of the 9/15/98 show from Great Woods. Man, I'm an idiot! My boyfriend at the time had a connection with someone at Great Woods and got the video, and he gave it to me for Christmas. It wasn't labeled, and I think I threw it out by accident. Arrgghh!
    Dante: "You hate people!"
    Randal: "But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?"
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I keep all my PJ related items. Maybe 50 years from now someone will buy it from my estate for a shit load of money. Haha.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    It wasn't labeled, and I think I threw it out by accident. Arrgghh!

This is exactly why I never throw away ANYTHING. You should see my apartment (not that you'd be able to get through the door...)
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I feel your pain; in the process of moving and getting rid of things. Sold my Simpsons toy collection and have gotten rid of boxes of books, although I still have about 20 boxes. All the PJ stuff stays.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    It's not the world that's heavy, it's the things that you save :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    Ok, this is really going to date me, but I want to give you my advice. When I was young (very young!), I collected Beatles cards -- like baseball cards (I can't remember now if they came with a stick of gum or not). When I went away to college, my mother cleaned out my room & threw out my cards. The Beatles had broken up by then, so I guess she thought I didn't want them anymore. I loved those cards! And I have a feeling that a set like I had is probably valuable now (I can't bring myself to look on eBay -- don't want to make myself sick). The reason why I wanted to keep them was because I wanted to share them with my own kids one day, so they could understand something about me when I was a child. So here's my advice -- keep anything that you'd like to share with your kids or grandkids so that they can get a sense of who you were at a younger age. But don't get too attached to material things because you never know what can happen. You can still share the memories even if you don't have the items in hand.
  • Options
    When I moved to Seattle in 1980 I only took what I could fit in a backpack and a guitar. So my collection of R. Crumb comics went to the dump. ARGGGHHHH!!!

So, due to that regret I've been saving much much more than I should. Now I can't find what I need when I need it. AARRRRGGGGHHH!

There's probably a lesson here, but I'm not sure what it is.

:)
  • Options
    catwoman wrote:
    Ok, this is really going to date me, but I want to give you my advice. When I was young (very young!), I collected Beatles cards -- like baseball cards (I can't remember now if they came with a stick of gum or not). When I went away to college, my mother cleaned out my room & threw out my cards. The Beatles had broken up by then, so I guess she thought I didn't want them anymore. I loved those cards! And I have a feeling that a set like I had is probably valuable now (I can't bring myself to look on eBay -- don't want to make myself sick). The reason why I wanted to keep them was because I wanted to share them with my own kids one day, so they could understand something about me when I was a child. So here's my advice -- keep anything that you'd like to share with your kids or grandkids so that they can get a sense of who you were at a younger age. But don't get too attached to material things because you never know what can happen. You can still share the memories even if you don't have the items in hand.

Excellent advice, catwoman. Thank you! :)

Next!"
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    You really notice how much stuff you have when you move apartment/ house. I had so many magazines & crap for years so I cut out all the relevant bits and put it together.

It was still a pain to move it all I tell ya.

Would always hold on to cds/ dvds etc.

Love to look back on the gig reviews I have from the early 90's etc.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14