Options

Backseat Lover

2»

Comments

• Options
    ha ha, this is hilarious. its so funny, (having been in the band, and now looking from the outside), hearing somebody who has met somebody for a casual talk a few time in their life thinking they know the person or what they are about, and thinking they have a basis to throw an opinion like this out there. totally ludicrous. the singer is about one of the best and grounded people i have met in my life. and if you spent more then a few minutes with him, other then at a packed bar late at night, you would maybe have the right to form an intelligent opinion. but you don't. What gives you a right to spew this ridiculous opinion anyway? you think you know what kind of person he is, from the few moments youve talked to him? you think he thinks he is eddie vedder? your ridiculous. this is uncalled for. i can only imagine the opinions people who don't know you could offer about you. I have one: your most likely a terrible and biased writer. I'm pretty sure im right.
    one word for thumbingmyway...dominated
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
    ...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
  • Options
    OK, I'll bite. Trumans Ghost is the message board name of the frontman of Backseat Lover, whose name I would publish here but that it would then be the lead hit on a Google search, and the guy doesn't need it.

A few years ago I was a young-ish writer, just changed careers, and in the style of Chuck Klosterman's "Fargo Rock City" I was doing several pieces for my then-employer on cover bands local to Boston. I made my intentions known to the band, and he- I mean they- were into it. Sort of. When I started to talk about the angle, I realized then and there that at least for that PJ cover band, the article wouldn't fly as they were operating under the delusion that they were, in fact, the real deal, as opposed to what they really are: a cover band that is fun to hear when you're on the third year of a four year live PJ drought.

And call it what you want- bravado, swagger, attitude, the guy has it. Not in a good way. Someone once told him that he sounds a bit like Ed when he and his buddies covered "Why Go" in their mom's basement back in the 90s, and instead of making light over it, or starting a different band, he's turned the fake part into his personality. He really thinks he's, again, the real deal. And he really thinks that he's entitled to consider himself as having had same metreoric rise to fame as the other guys.
    A good voice he may have, but he hasn't *quite* gotten his oversized head around the fact that people don't take cover bands seriously. It's not acting. There's no cameras. There's no awards.

I've been around many, many bands in my career since, even the guys who actually are the real thing, and can tell you without a doubt that the only guy who came close with the attitude of Trumans Ghost was Tom Petty when I saw him throw a fit over his place on a concert lineup AFTER he was inducted into the Rock Hall.

Or, as Joan Cusack said in 'Working Girl,': "Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will."

I'm sorry that you feel this way about me. I have a difficult time getting along with A$$HOLES! You should really find other places and spaces to center your negative energy!...I'm just a jammer that enjoys singing along to my favorite band! Any other opinions that you may have formed...well....have been created in your mind! you should really move on!......