Options

My Favorite Tree Quotes

BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
edited October 2003 in Poetry, Prose, Music & Art
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.

- William Blake, 1799, The Letters
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    coleencoleen Posts: 938
    it makes me happy to know you speak for the trees gita. :)
  • Options
    GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    A.R. Ammons
    Reflective

I found a
    weed
    that had a

mirror in it
    and that
    mirror

looked in at
    a mirror
    in

me that
    had a
    weed in it
  • Options
    thanks Coleen. I have plenty!!! Here's another...

God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods.
    But he cannot save them from fools.
    - John Muir

• Options
    Originally posted by Goulet
    A.R. Ammons
    Reflective

I found a
    weed
    that had a

mirror in it
    and that
    mirror

looked in at
    a mirror
    in

me that
    had a
    weed in it

that reminded me of something.

when i was a very little girl, my parents loaded us up in the car took us down from the mountains to visit family in the city. to amuse myself i was playing in an abandoned lot in the middle near my uncle's apartment building in brooklyn which was full of debris and garbage interrupted periodicaly by little patches of green struggling to sprout up from underneath it all.

i found, nestled within the green, a little purple flower. it wasn't an iris or a lilac or even a lovely wisteria and not much more than a cluster of humble amethyst petals. a man walking by stopped to see what i had been focusing all of my attention on and he said to me "little girl, that isn't a flower - its a weed". for the next several minutes i gathered as much of my 6 year old wisdom as i could in what ultimately became a battle of wills with with this man. he eventually gave up when he realized there wasn't a thing in the world he would ever do or say to convince me that weed wasn't a little miracle in my hands.

ah well, i think about him every time i stumble upon one of those "weeds".
  • Options
    GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    Originally posted by coleen
    that reminded me of something.

when i was a very little girl, my parents loaded us up in the car took us down from the mountains to visit family in the city. to amuse myself i was playing in an abandoned lot in the middle near my uncle's apartment building in brooklyn which was full of debris and garbage interrupted periodicaly by little patches of green struggling to sprout up from underneath it all.

i found, nestled within the green, a little purple flower. it wasn't an iris or a lilac or even a lovely wisteria and not much more than a cluster of humble amethyst petals. a man walking by stopped to see what i had been focusing all of my attention on and he said to me "little girl, that isn't a flower - its a weed". for the next several minutes i gathered as much of my 6 year old wisdom as i could in what ultimately became a battle of wills with with this man. he eventually gave up when he realized there wasn't a thing in the world he would ever do or say to convince me that weed wasn't a little miracle in my hands.

ah well, i think about him every time i stumble upon one of those "weeds".

and why don't you post any of your poems/writing?
  • Options

its intimidating to post alongside most of you.

i got all brave in my thoughts, like i might actually do it but everyday that passed - and the more i read the brilliant posts from the rest of you...

i did post once but in a cowardly sort of way and not as myself.
  • Options

I agree!! Coleen you are so sweet always encouraging and giving us great feedback and concern..I want to hear more from you girlfriend.

I am glad you didn't let that man change your mind about the flower. I think all little kids know what you are talking about there. That poor man NEEDED to see a flower didn't he?

as if like little children......
  • Options
    thank you gita.

you are quite an amazing lady yourself and i've told you so already although not nearly enough. you know more than a thing or two about encouragement - i'll never forget it. :)
  • Options
    Trees have from time immemorial been closely associated with magic. These stout members of the vegetable kingdom may stand for as long as a thousand years, and tower far above our mortal heads. As such they are symbols and keepers of unlimited power, longevity, and timelessness. An untouched forest, studded with trees of all ages, sizes and types, is more than a mysterious, magical place - it is one of the energy reservoirs of nature. Within its boundaries stand ancient and new sentinels, guardians of the universal force which has manifested on the the Earth ...

Scott Cunningham, Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magick,
  • Options

It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanates from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
    - Robert Louis Stevenson