Options

copywrite...???

myblood2myblood2 Posts: 74
edited October 2003 in Poetry, Prose, Music & Art
possibly one for the mods to clear up....but what happens regard copywrite for poems posted in this forum?

if i was to post a poem....would it still be mine?...

as in...would other people be liable if they used my poem elsewhere without permission...sort of thing

im sure you know what im trying to say.

thanks for any response.
Forever and ever ....Pearl Jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    establishing copyright is the writer's responsibility.

even putting a © and your name at the bottom establishes copyright although if you're really concerned, you'd be better to pay the fees and officially register your work.

another method is to create something, and mail it to yourself. leave it unopened. the date of postmark goes towards proving date of creation.
  • Options
    even putting a © and your name at the bottom establishes copyright although if you're really concerned, you'd be better to pay the fees and officially register your work.---

this is called poor writer's copyright. it's legal stands up in court. but the letter must be sent by certified mail and never never open it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength". W. Shakespeare

Truthful words are not always beautiful; beautiful words are not always truthful....
  • Options
    actaloactalo Posts: 29
    I am unsure where the issue lies... Poetry is poetry, you can write it with your toes. Copyright? Poets are are much too self-absorbed and egotistical to copy someone else's work and parade it as their own. Of course, "novelty acts" or flukes with catchy rhyme patterns may worry about copyrights, but not a poet with volumes of work. If what you post here is your best scribble, then perhaps you need to start writing more often.
  • Options
    i disagree... If something hits you right, regardless of where you're writing it at, it could be great, even if you arent a "poet" or "writer" besides, if you do come up with something great, it doesnt have to be a real artist stealing it... it could be some schmuch who sees it and thinks they can benefit from stealing it...
    "Esther's here and she's sick... hi Esther, now we're all going to be sick, thanks." EV Palace of Auburn Hills 10-7-00
  • Options
    actaloactalo Posts: 29
    Yes, perhaps... but what would one do with it? How many books do you know of containing one poem? Sure, one could read it aloud to the collective "Poetry Jam" buddy-group for about two weeks, after that; it is mere stale bread. Certianly one could develope a scenario of a plagiarizer stealing numerous poems... yet there is NO money in poetry, so why bother?
  • Options
    Many a one hit wonder is essentially poetry that have hit lightning in a bottle once, only to have everything else suck.
    "Esther's here and she's sick... hi Esther, now we're all going to be sick, thanks." EV Palace of Auburn Hills 10-7-00
  • Options
    other question: I covered some PJ-Songs as well as some other artists....am I allowed to spread the covers online?
    Spontaneous – Creation – Emotion – Very Pleasing – Real Music – No Analyzing – No Pressure – No Hype Just Music – To Make Music – Friends and a Reason – Chemistry – Beauty – Life Rules!
  • Options
    I beleive as long as you dont try to pass it as your own, and dont try to profit from it....
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    plus,
    by the sheer fact we post here and it says date and time and the ten club knows who we are if we are registered so couldn't they back anyone up on who owns it?

what about the bizarre and enormous chore of copying every bloody thing i put on here.

i don't know how to start. i would be here a long time. anyway the ten club could print out what we have posted and mail it to us? or is that asking for the moon.

any ideas would be helpful for me since i am fairly low tech at my kitchen table office here.