Options

Smoking at shows?

Comments

• Options
    kristophedkristophed Posts: 73
    I hate that it's even an issue. You at a rock concert for fuck sakes, Eddie smokes on stage and drinks! People are there to enjoy themselves and anyone who says smelling a cigg ruins their time is full of it. Your just that person who likes to create a fuss to either get noticed or just feel some kind of dominance. Can't blame you or change you, your kind are just that way.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    like i said i could care less about what others say or think

Smoking a cigar at a concert (like the assh**e in front of me at MSG 1 who looked like he belonged at a REO Speedwagon concert circa 1984) is just flat out rude.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    BinFrog wrote:
    Smoking a cigar at a concert (like the assh**e in front of me at MSG 1 who looked like he belonged at a REO Speedwagon concert circa 1984) is just flat out rude.

a cigar is different unless its filled with the greens

but people who complain because i take a few hits of a cig a couple of times are just silly
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    It's a rock concert. Anyone who's been to one before can tell you the place will be packed with smoke.

Anyone threatening to try and get you kicked out needs their ass kicked. I feel for Helen's plight but she if way off on the aroma factor. Of course that is just a matter of opinion.

I've always been a very considerate smoker but when at a show I'm going to smoke where I want when I want. If you can't handle the smoke for a few hours than may I suggest a Jonas Bros. concert.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    It's a rock concert. Anyone who's been to one before can tell you the place will be packed with smoke.

Anyone threatening to try and get you kicked out needs their ass kicked. I feel for Helen's plight but she if way off on the aroma factor. Of course that is just a matter of opinion.

I've always been a very considerate smoker but when at a show I'm going to smoke where I want when I want. If you can't handle the smoke for a few hours than may I suggest a Jonas Bros. concert.

yeaaaaaaa tell em kid
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    a cigar is different unless its filled with the greens

but people who complain because i take a few hits of a cig a couple of times are just silly

When you said "I SMOKE STOGS inside and outside,, and i could care less what anyone thinks" I thought you meant stogies...?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    When you said "I SMOKE STOGS inside and outside,, and i could care less what anyone thinks" I thought you meant stogies...?

im sorry i meant cigs

a cigar inside is over the top
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    DeLukin wrote:
    At a rock concert you gotta expect to get smoked on, spilled on and maybe even pee'd on. If you don't want any of those things to happen to you, visit your local library instead.

why should people who do neither "expect" anything at a rock show

if you cant hold off smoking a joint or cig for 2 plus hours then you need to get a damn patch or something

what if i got drunk at the show and knocked you out? should you "expect" that

me personally do whatever you want but dont be jaded if someone who does neither has a problem with it, because they are entitled to the clean air just as much as you think you are to polluting it
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    why should people who do neither "expect" anything at a rock show

if you cant hold off smoking a joint or cig for 2 plus hours then you need to get a damn patch or something

what if i got drunk at the show and knocked you out? should you "expect" that

me personally do whatever you want but dont be jaded if someone who does neither has a problem with it, because they are entitled to the clean air just as much as you think you are to polluting it

hey i dont complain about the smell of beer or booze and believe me it smells
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    I'll puff, drink and smoke a cig, unless there are young kids around; otherwise, I think it is a free-for-all. You wanna roll or smoke, more power to you. Just dont ruin MY show. For god's sake, it's a rock concert. Go see Neil Diamond if you dont like it.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    hey i dont complain about the smell of beer or booze and believe me it smells

oh im with you the drinkers can be as bad as anyone but having someone tell you to "expect it" or "deal with it" when it comes to smoking at a concert is a little asanine

in Tampa i had had someone next to me ask if it was ok that she smoked next to me since she knew i didnt, i said it doesnt bother me or my wife so go for it, now if someone else would have complained i hope there would have been some respect

same could go with someone next to you drinking too much, they should be respectful of becoming too trashed

then again people showing respect for one another went out the window years ago
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    im ok with people smoking cgts and weed,

ppl invite me in wpb, but im not into.
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    On another thread I jokingly made fun of someone for saying they'd call security on smokers... the reply I got was something along the lines of 'cigarettes stink, it's illegal and if you don't listen to me I'll get you thrown out' and THEN it was followed by 'but if it's weed, pass it this way' :confused: and a couple of other people agreed.

Hang on a second... I get your point about cigarettes being illegal indoors and that they stink... fair enough... but :confused: isn't the rest of the statement just a TAD hypocritical? Hmmm... I'm a cigarette smoker.... and I don't know how anyone could deny that weed absolutely STINKS! And eh... talk about illegal? :confused::p

preach it man!
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    They both stink...but then again I don't smoke cigs or pot. But for some reason cigarette smoke bothers me more.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    People will and do smoke weed and gerbs at a concert. Especially a rock concert. It happens and you know its going to happen. Be ready for it. People will smoke whatever they can light and inhale in the venue, in the parking lot, in the outhouse, at the entrance, in the beer line, in their car, outside the mcdonals while their buddy buys burgers, in the pretzel line, etc.

Its just the truth.

And, for the record....Weed smells awesome.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    I hate it that I can't go to a Pearl Jam show without smelling smoke. That Eddie Veeder guy singing smokes and ruins the whole show for me EVERY TIME.
  • Options
    Would you have Eddie or Mikey(I don't know if Mikey smokes anymore) kicked out for smoking? I know you will say no...but is there a difference? We are all humans and we all have our vices.

If I am smoking at a concert, I try to hold my cigarette above my head between drags so I don't bother anyone.

Would it be nice to kick me out for smoking even though I was being respectful?
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Cigarettes are just plain bullshit..... Especially indoors!!

Weed might stink but it is a good stink....

End of story.

thank you.

oh and i am not positive but im pretty sure im the snitch previously mentioned.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Would you have Eddie or Mikey(I don't know if Mikey smokes anymore) kicked out for smoking? I know you will say no...but is there a difference? We are all humans and we all have our vices.

If I am smoking at a concert, I try to hold my cigarette above my head between drags so I don't bother anyone.

Would it be nice to kick me out for smoking even though I was being respectful?

first off, id ask if yo could stop or move out to the lobby first,

i dont want you thrown out

but if it is impacting me dirtectly, i gotta ask you.

i should also mention i am a cancer survivor, so that is an inert pursuasion for the both of us.

they give weed out for cancer, not tobacco.

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    i'm weird....i like the smell of cigarette smoke :o

but weed smoke is 1000 times better :)
  • Options
    crjb1978crjb1978 Posts: 54
    everybody was smoking everything at MSG. No one got thrown out.
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I used to smoke cigs (pack a day) , and now I am an occasional smoker of "free puffs", but there is no doubt, IMO cig smoke is much nastier, more pervasive and more damaging. Coming home from a smokey bar or a show, I gotta take a shower to get the stench off, my throat hurts, shit, even my hair stinks. However, if I am standing next to someone getting high, it leaves no lasting smell and I do actually thinks grass smells good. I really try to reserve judgement, but in this case I cant resist- anyone who is considering starting smoking or the addiction has not taken ahold of- STOP NOW! Smoking SUCKS! Or as Eddie sometimes says "Ill throw these cigarrettes away" in Down!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Plenty of smoking going on during Boston one. Thank you again. :D
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    kristophed wrote:
    I hate that it's even an issue. You at a rock concert for fuck sakes, Eddie smokes on stage and drinks! People are there to enjoy themselves and anyone who says smelling a cigg ruins their time is full of it. Your just that person who likes to create a fuss to either get noticed or just feel some kind of dominance. Can't blame you or change you, your kind are just that way.

That is complete BS
    I wear contacts and can tell the minute someone lights up a cig, dries my eyes out really badly and its not fun
    Cloves or weed on the other hand, doesn't bother my eyes at all
    I have friends that smoke and I'm not one to spoil someone's vices but its very difficult for me to be around cigs
    alot of people are cool about it when you ask them to stop, but others are not
    MSG 1 kind of sucked for me with all the chainsmoking going on in my section
    and no i didn't get anyone ejected or ask them to stop, by the time i saw where it was coming from, the show was practically over and it was too many people
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    kent_fkent_f Posts: 28
    Typically, I let a smoker smoke whatever it is they're smoking, but there has been the odd occasion where I've asked the person to butt out (ie: chain smokers, people who don't watch where they're ashing, etc).

However, I hate it when people smoking their cigarettes blow it out right in front of them (usually right into me). Have some respect and at least angle your head up directly into the air so that you're not blowing your smoke right at me.
  • Options
    The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    release30 wrote:
    I was stinkin' up MSG my friends!!!!!!! And it smelled so ick ick ick icky good!!!!!!!!!!
    Weed might stink but it is a good stink....
    End of story.

HA!
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • Options
    UrohawkUrohawk Posts: 77
    kristophed wrote:

So what if I am at a rock concert....People used to smoke at work, in bars, and on planes. They don't any more. Why? It's illegal in a lot of places. Same as it's at alot of venues. I guess I can't rock out with out lighting up, toking up, or boozing it. People are there to enjoy themselves......so maybe I'll start boozing and run you over with my car. Does it make it cool that I am at a rock concert?

Can't blame or change you.....you can't change yourself. You can't hold off a cigarette for a few hours? I guess your just that way.
    "pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....
    the pearl jam coloring book....$200
    multi-millionaires singing a song telling me...
    the gas in their tanks...is like money in the bank
    PRICELESS!!!!!!" -SpeedyMcCready...You may be banned but the message lives on!
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Cigs - Lots of chemicals.
    Mari - Not so much.

I think that may have to do with people being more sensitive to cigarette smoke than marijuana smoke, myself included. Obviously, a smoke-free environment is the ideal, but a highly unlikely occurrence. I would prefer sober cigarette smokers to drunks at concerts, though. Anything but the drunks!

If you're a person with a strong sense of smell like myself, bring something with you that you can use to re-align your senses (like smelling salts) that won't overpower the immediate vicinity near your seat (and make you just as bad as the initial offender), and take a couple of painkillers before the show to help ward off any potential scent-induced headaches/migraines ...

Which leads me to another thing: Please, people, go easy on your aftershave, perfume, or whatever the hell it is you're dousing yourself with. Women are the worst for this, but some aftershaves/body sprays for men are just as nasty.
  • Options
    zazzi82zazzi82 Posts: 22
    Its a rock concert, expect people to be smoking both and fucking deal with it
    Nashville 2000
    Nashville 2003
    Cincy 2006
    The ROO 2008
  • Options
    Vedder316Vedder316 Posts: 205
    upina2001 wrote:
    I'll puff, drink and smoke a cig, unless there are young kids around; otherwise, I think it is a free-for-all. You wanna roll or smoke, more power to you. Just dont ruin MY show. For god's sake, it's a rock concert. Go see Neil Diamond if you dont like it.

Wouldn't go and do that just yet. Saw him in Pitts this year and smoked and smelled more green that any PJ show I have been to. In fact one of the greenest shows I have been to. And whats with ripping on Neil? One of the best song writers ever, and he fuckin ROCKS! Neil love ya baby! lol Take care.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur