Options

2003 -------> 2006 -----> 2008

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,840
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I've seen them now on all of these tours, and I gotta say that this band is sounding tighter as the years go along. Listening to the boots now, Ed sounds tired in 03, but they sound rejuvenated in 2006, and flash forward to 2008, and the band is in even rarer form. They sound fucking electric right now, and it makes me even more pumped to hear what comes from them in 2009, and especially pumped to hear Ed soon in Boston next month.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
2018 Boston I, Boston II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 Boston I, Boston II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    agreed.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Ed is really the only one who changed from 2003 to 2006. The band was great in both years. Actually, I think their actual sound was better in 2003. Their guitar tones and such sound great.

I do agree that the band as whole is much better in 2008.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    I've seen them now on all of these tours, and I gotta say that this band is sounding tighter as the years go along. Listening to the boots now, Ed sounds tired in 03, but they sound rejuvenated in 2006, and flash forward to 2008, and the band is in even rarer form. They sound fucking electric right now, and it makes me even more pumped to hear what comes from them in 2009, and especially pumped to hear Ed soon in Boston next month.

just wish the 06' boots sounded like the 03' boots. i'm not complaining though!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I do agree that the band as whole is much better in 2008.

me too, especially Mike. He really tightened up his playing this tour. he always kicks ass, but his solos were a lot more than showmanship this year...and really communicated the feel of the song to boot.
  • Options
    I disagree. I think they've been making more and more mistakes and getting sloppier and sloppier with every tour. My guess is that they don't practice as much as they used to. Take Matt's (difficult) songs for example. When they first started playing them, they were tight. Now Stone and Mike can barely get through them without making tons of mistakes. This was also the case with SOLAT and Hail Hail in 2003...Eddie forgot the lyrics every single time. At some point somebody should have stopped him and said, "hey asshole, learn the lyrics again", but nobody did. Unbelieveable.

Anyway, they were so tight in 2000, it wasn't even funny. It hasn't been the same since then.
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    JWBusher wrote:
    I disagree. I think they've been making more and more mistakes and getting sloppier and sloppier with every tour. My guess is that they don't practice as much as they used to. Take Matt's (difficult) songs for example. When they first started playing them, they were tight. Now Stone and Mike can barely get through them without making tons of mistakes. This was also the case with SOLAT and Hail Hail in 2003...Eddie forgot the lyrics every single time. At some point somebody should have stopped him and said, "hey asshole, learn the lyrics again", but nobody did. Unbelieveable.

Anyway, they were so tight in 2000, it wasn't even funny. It hasn't been the same since then.

I felt this way until THIS tour. I heard a big improvement.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    I felt this way until THIS tour. I heard a big improvement.

Well, I haven't listened to any shows straight through yet. I've been inspecting every performance of each song in order to make a mix CD when the physical boots arrive. But from what I've heard, I would say that it's business as usual this tour. I've had to exclude a couple songs already because they're fucked up, either lyrically or musically. I wish they would have played a complete, non-fucked up version of Evacuation, but I guess Stone and Mike can't be bothered to re-learn their guitar parts.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    line in ac/dc song

can't hold em back

:)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    I agree, I thought they sounded a little tired in 2000. Then in 2003 they sound even a little more tired. Then I catch them on VFC in 2004 and they seem to have another gear. Then it's on to 2005 at the Gorge and they sound even better than the prior year. Then in 2006 they sound better and play with more energy than I've seen since 95. If this current trend continues I can't wait to see what they sound like in 2009!
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    I totally agree with you.

2003 was the first tour I actually saw PJ on. They were good back then, don't get me wrong.

Come 2005 and the canadian tour that came along, They were sounding real good.

But in 2008? GAWD DAMN!!!!
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    2003 = Riot Act,say no more
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    honestly, ed sounded horrible on the boots. he sounded much better the previous years. his voice is going.

and btw no tour has held a candle to 05
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    smile05 wrote:
    2003 = Riot Act,say no more
    play state college 03 and get back to me

the best version of black and crazy mary ever
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    The only show I've listened to so far is Camden 1, and it's pretty bad. Eddie sounds like he's totally drunk, he's slurring words, forgetting lyrics, and huffing and puffing like he's out of breath. Pretty scary.
  • Options
    mnicole22mnicole22 Posts: 417
    It's posts like these that make me kick myself for not seeing them live earlier. I had so many chances and kept saying "next time..." Including Kitchener, London, Hamilton, all within an hours drive.

Ever since that first live show they have consumed far to much of this lady's time...that is according to my hubby.

heres to 2009 and beyond!!
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

i think it is maybe because they toured too much in 2003 and where they toured as well... they played what seems like every city in the country in 2003 and i am guessing that is not as exciting as towns and citied in canda, south america, europe, and australia... 2004 was a political motivated tour in smaller venues so that had to help energy... 2005 they toured canada and south america with a few special US shows sprinkled in... 2006 they shortened it up in the US focusing on the base and then hit europe and australia... 2007 they hit europe for some festivals and a few shows and then play a major festival in the US playing... 2008 they destroy Bonnaroo and hit the east coast again with 2 shows at the garden... ed is doing much smaller mor intimate acoustic stuff off the back of his solo debut...

i guess what i am saying is i can see why there would be more energy and rejuvination in the band... they are playing in amazing places and venues and doing some different things... digging into the crates for rarities and old shit...

they really are hitting it right now
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    I agree..although I think its hard to compare.

92, 93, 94...a band overwhelmed with success and on pure adrenaline

95-96- After Kurts death and other things, definitely more subdued

98- AWESOME tour

00- If you've seen the Europe footage these guys were on fire...then Roskilde...it really effected the rest of the tour In think anyway...pretty somber at times. And I love Binaural by the way..made up for some lack of stage/sound energy.

03 - OK, but I thought the sound was lackluster and Ed sounded like his voice was shot at times. Not a Riot Act fan...maybe I'm biased.

04- One of my fav concerts was in St Louis as part of the VFC tour...band on fire...probably due to the election urgency they felt, but...wow

05-08- WOW...the band is just firing on all cylinders, my buddies I brought to shows couldn't believe the bands energy, Ed has sounded great...the band has a new passion! Haven't heard the new boots, but I'm anxious! :)
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    JWBusher wrote:
    Well, I haven't listened to any shows straight through yet. I've been inspecting every performance of each song in order to make a mix CD when the physical boots arrive. But from what I've heard, I would say that it's business as usual this tour. I've had to exclude a couple songs already because they're fucked up, either lyrically or musically. I wish they would have played a complete, non-fucked up version of Evacuation, but I guess Stone and Mike can't be bothered to re-learn their guitar parts.

Dude, you want perfection...then go turn on your Pod or your turntable!! Personally I don't go to see a band live to see if they can "recreate" what I've already been listening to. I go to see them live to see what songs they'll break out and how they'll rework a particular song...or even possibly see how they'll fuck it up. That's what makes Pearl Jam so entertaining to see if you ask me my opinion.

And please, before you go blasting Mike, Stone and the boys on their playing ability..remember that on average they have rehearsed somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 songs to play on these tours. With that many songs in rotation on tour do you think you could do better than them?? You want perfection then go to a Justin Timberlake show (notice I didn't say concert).

Peace out..

RM
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    Kingmidget wrote:
    I agree..although I think its hard to compare.

92, 93, 94...a band overwhelmed with success and on pure adrenaline

95-96- After Kurts death and other things, definitely more subdued

98- AWESOME tour

00- If you've seen the Europe footage these guys were on fire...then Roskilde...it really effected the rest of the tour In think anyway...pretty somber at times. And I love Binaural by the way..made up for some lack of stage/sound energy.

03 - OK, but I thought the sound was lackluster and Ed sounded like his voice was shot at times. Not a Riot Act fan...maybe I'm biased.

04- One of my fav concerts was in St Louis as part of the VFC tour...band on fire...probably due to the election urgency they felt, but...wow

05-08- WOW...the band is just firing on all cylinders, my buddies I brought to shows couldn't believe the bands energy, Ed has sounded great...the band has a new passion! Haven't heard the new boots, but I'm anxious! :)

I agree on every point you made. Damn!

But...I have heard the new boots, got to see 3 of the shows on this tour, and let me tell ya'..THEY ARE AT THE TOP OF THEIR FRIGGIN' GAME!

Peace,
    D.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    I agree on every point you made. Damn!

But...I have heard the new boots, got to see 3 of the shows on this tour, and let me tell ya'..THEY ARE AT THE TOP OF THEIR FRIGGIN' GAME!

Peace,
    D.

Good to hear! :)
  • Options
    Dude, you want perfection...then go turn on your Pod or your turntable!! Personally I don't go to see a band live to see if they can "recreate" what I've already been listening to. I go to see them live to see what songs they'll break out and how they'll rework a particular song...or even possibly see how they'll fuck it up. That's what makes Pearl Jam so entertaining to see if you ask me my opinion.

And please, before you go blasting Mike, Stone and the boys on their playing ability..remember that on average they have rehearsed somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 songs to play on these tours. With that many songs in rotation on tour do you think you could do better than them?? You want perfection then go to a Justin Timberlake show (notice I didn't say concert).

I didn't say I wanted perfection. I just want ONE version that doesn't have a bad fuckup somewhere. Is that too much to ask? Normally you would practice the more difficult songs instead of saying "fuck it" and bullshitting your way through.
  • Options
    PJ_JammerPJ_Jammer Posts: 90
    I agree with Ed sounding more alive and energetic in 06 to present vs 03. however I did notice on Ed messing up Love boat captin in Camden 2, that I was upset about ( one of my favs especially with Boom) and they did mess up 2 other in msg. Those were funny tho. No one is perfect, and Ed does like Wine :)
    9/28/2004 Boston, Mass
    5/12/2006 Albany, NY
    6/01/2006 E Rutherford, NJ
    6/24/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    6/25/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    10/27/2009 Philli, PA Spectrum 1
    5/21/2010 NYC MSG 2, NY
    10/25/13 Hartford, Ct
  • Options
    PJ_Jammer wrote:
    I agree with Ed sounding more alive and energetic in 06 to present vs 03. however I did notice on Ed messing up Love boat captin in Camden 2, that I was upset about ( one of my favs especially with Boom) and they did mess up 2 other in msg. Those were funny tho. No one is perfect, and Ed does like Wine :)

And like a fine wine Ed ages well! :) Hope so...Ed ad I are the same age..
  • Options
    I agree to an extent. 2008 was the best since 2003 to me. I do however, feel that 2003 was better than 2006. Maybe it was just particular shows I caught them at. In 2003 the tones of the guitar were much better and Mike's solos were way more amazing to me in 2003 than in 2006. I do feel that overall Ed's voice did improve since 2003. I don't think the band sounded tired in 2003 though.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    I think they sounded better in 2003 than they do now...but they still sound great so it doesn't really matter.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I think the band has gotten tighter while Eddie has gotten much sloppier and continues to struggle with his vocals. Just way too breathy for my tastes. He just isn't as sharp as he used to be.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    my opinions.....

2000-- band was great musically; Ed was a little hit or miss

2003 - guitars sounded muffled, but Ed was on fuckin fire. Riot act is an awesome album that gets better ever year.

2006 - more balanced overall, everything working nicely

2008 - Matt on fire.......band sounds more crisp.......Ed's voice sounds great to me, shows were all a blast.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    JWBusher wrote:

They've always been, in Stone's words, "a semi-professional rock band." Part of the beauty of this band is that they often make you feel like you've been privy to a rehearsal in someone's garage, warts and all.

Also, I think when you play 100+ different songs in the span of 14 shows, you're gonna forget some shit.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    They've always been, in Stone's words, "a semi-professional rock band." Part of the beauty of this band is that they often make you feel like you've been privy to a rehearsal in someone's garage, warts and all.

Also, I think when you play 100+ different songs in the span of 14 shows, you're gonna forget some shit.

well said............

I think too often people get caught in the details/setlist/chase for perfection....

if they fuck up on stage, i could care less...im just happy the band is still playing and making great music.