Sonic Youth

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited December 2008 in Other Music
Any fans here?
What album do you think is their best.
Best songs?

Discuss.

For me, I like Daydream Nation for its feel, very relaxing record.
Teenage Riot is probably my favourite.

Anyone a fan of their Bad Moon Rising album.
I like it for its mood.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Saw them live over here last year. They performed the entire of Daydream nation but then i got bored with the songs afterwards.

Havent listened to them in a while but from what i remember i didn't really dig what they did.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I missed out on seeing them two times in the last two years.
    Shattered when I heard their last tour here was an entire performance of songs from Daydream Nation, arrrrr!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Daydream Nation never did it for me, save a handful of songs (Eric's Trip, Providence, 'Cross the Waves)

My favourite album is probably Sister (Schizophrenia!) or Evol but I am indeed a fan of Bad Moon Rising and it has probably my favourite album cover ever.

To be honest I don't understand the love for Daydream Nation. It sits squarely and blandly between their later and earlier work and covers neither style with particular brilliance. It's a solid album but why it is remembered as their classic is beyond me. For the noisy stuff I prefer Evol and for the cleaner stuff, Washing Machine or Murray St are much better.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Washing Machine is very relaxing to listen to.
    And I agree, Bad Moon Rising's album cover is up there with the best, love that dusky setting in a field with that wicked scarecrow, very spooky lol
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I think they certainly challenge the ears, never could describe them as easy listening 'cept maybe Rather Ripped.
    Sonic Nurse and Murry Street are both quality albums, Goo, Dirty and A Thousand Trees, also Washing Machine are up there for me as well.

Teen Age Riot and Candle are both classics of Daydream Nation, I think the fact that the first of those being such an anthem kinda cements DN as the ultimate album by Sonic Youth from a media stand point Jeremy.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Yea I dig them, I only have one album though, Dirty, not their best by any means. I think I like Sister alot though, my favorite song is schizophrenia .
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
    I think they certainly challenge the ears, never could describe them as easy listening 'cept maybe Rather Ripped.
    Sonic Nurse and Murry Street are both quality albums, Goo, Dirty and A Thousand Trees, also Washing Machine are up there for me as well.

Teen Age Riot and Candle are both classics of Daydream Nation, I think the fact that the first of those being such an anthem kinda cements DN as the ultimate album by Sonic Youth from a media stand point Jeremy.
    Teenage Riot is my least favourite song on the album :o
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Teenage Riot is my least favourite song on the album :o

I like it, by no means my favourite SY song but it's a good song and like I say the media love it and it's probably the song that gets the most airplay by them, even now.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    My Sonic Youth collection is far from complete, but I like them.

I guess I'm not going to get any cool points for this, but Daydream Nation and Goo are my favorites. I find all the other albums I own to be hit or miss while these two are solid from start to finish.
  • Been years since I've seen them! Last was... jeeze I can't recall, 2002? 2003? 2002 I think. Grew up listening to them, part of the whole grunge thing.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
    Yup, I've decided that Evol is my favourite SY album. Shadow of a Doubt is probably the best song Kim ever sang on.
  • I saw them opening for the Flaming Lips in Allentown a few years ago. The audience was indifferent but I thought they kicked all sorts of ass. My friend has been to over a dozen SY shows and he said this was his favorite one.
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    i looooooooooooove diamond sea.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dont know about best, but my fave is mote
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i only have DDN

like the first 4 tracks (a lot) - some very origanl guitar work

the rest of the album is loatsome imo as is the woman's disgusting voice
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    glasshouse wrote:
    i only have DDN

like the first 4 tracks (a lot) - some very origanl guitar work

the rest of the album is loatsome imo as is the woman's disgusting voice

the womans disgusting voice. the woman? kim gordon you mean?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Does anyone like Sister?
    I've somehow never really given this album a careful listen. It is growing on me.
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    I recently picked up Goo on sale and it has encouraged me to go through their catalogue. So far, I have got as far as Murray Street, following the order of release, and Experimental Jet set is my clear favouate. 

I was always aware of SY in the 90s but I don't think I would have gotten into them back then.