Brian Eno

KeirKeir Posts: 46
edited August 2008 in Other Music
I searched and couldn't find other threads. There has to be some other fans here. The mastermind behind some of the greatest albums ever made and the best of all, his solo works. Another Green World and Before and After Science are complete genius and are just the tip of the iceberg in his library. The sad thing is, not many have heard them. Other fans?

If you haven't tried any of his albums, I suggest you give them a shot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Big fan of his ambient series, less so of his recent production credits ( ;) ) but I still think he's one of the more important musicians of the late 20th century.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    Fuck, I have never heard any of his solo material.

David Bowie is one of my favorite artists, and the collaborations with Eno on the "Berlin Trilogy" are definitely Bowie's best work.
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Here Come the Warm Jets is pretty good too. Before&After Science has By This River, which is definitely my favourite song of his.
  • I have a fondness for Music For Airports, but then I have a fondness for Robert Wyatt's musical contributions in general.
  • Also, PJ fans will know this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOgQyIMX_XU
  • KeirKeir Posts: 46
    I'm glad to see some other fans. The man is truly a genius and I don't use that term often.
    Also, PJ fans will know this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOgQyIMX_XU
    Probs the finest ambient piece ever.

Why would PJ fans know it though? Was it on a DVD or something? I can't pinpoint it.

Also, I don't get Wyatt at all. Rock Bottom has the worst vocals ever :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • It used to play on the PA system as the band were coming onstage. See the Atlanta show at the Fox Theater, GA, 3rd April 1994, prior to Release, as an example.

By the way, Jamie, have you heard of the practice called Wyatting? It's a form of popular cultural terrorism practiced in London bars. A person walks into an over-populated chav pub that would otherwise be very pleasant, and selects the most obscurantist Robert Wyatt tracks on the Internet jukebox database. The said punter then watches the pub empty very hurriedly, and has the place to himself. :D
    By the way, Jamie, have you heard of the practice called Wyatting? It's a form of popular cultural terrorism practiced in London bars. A person walks into an over-populated chav pub that would otherwise be very pleasant, and selects the most obscurantist Robert Wyatt tracks on the Internet jukebox database. The said punter then watches the pub empty very hurriedly, and has the place to himself. :D
    I have heard about that yes :D Apparently Wyatt himself is very amused by it but says he wouldn't do it himself :p

I can only imagine how Alifib would go down in the Marquis of Granby in New Cross :o:D

Does it specifically have to be Wyatt songs to be known as Wyatting or can it be any obscure and situation-inappropriate song?
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I have heard about that yes :D Apparently Wyatt himself is very amused by it but says he wouldn't do it himself :p

I can only imagine how Alifib would go down in the Marquis of Granby in New Cross :o:D

Does it specifically have to be Wyatt songs to be known as Wyatting or can it be any obscure and situation-inappropriate song?

I think it's now a catch-all. So try it out, hahaha. I recommend some Sun Ra, of course ... ;)
    I think it's now a catch-all. So try it out, hahaha. I recommend some Sun Ra, of course ... ;)
    Are you familiar with the Amersham Arms? One lunchtime, while enjoying a nice steak & ale pie and a pint of Spitfire I noticed Miles' So What playing on the stereo so I went up and asked if they had any Coltrane, in particular Interstellar Space or Stellar Regions :p The girl went to look and said the album was a "Best of Cool Jazz" compilation or something :(

In terms of thread integrity, I did put Eno's 1/1 from Airports on in a pub a while back. It didn't have any notable effects on the atmosphere of the place unfortunately.
  • Except that people suddenly felt the urge to shove their stash up their arse and hand their luggage in at the fruit machine.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    Eno is playing here in Austin with David Byrne and they are doing a whole tour also.

http://www.everythingthathappens.com/
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022