bush underated our over rated?

PJAMMER504PJAMMER504 Posts: 25
edited August 2008 in Other Music
the band, not the so-called president
nov.93 sept.95 aug.00 april.03 may.06 ,chicago2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    You know, I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked their first record when it came out. I didn't see all the Nirvana comparisons at all, which the media was constantly making back then. Me and my buddy saw them in 1996. Then their 2nd record dropped and it was for me a total letdown. I think they did two more and called it quits.

But to answer your question, I don't see them as overrated or underrated. I don't think anybody really finds them relevant now. Pretty good debut album though.
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Loved them 10 or 12 years ago (as a young teenage girl with a crush on Gavin Rossdale), but it seems to me that they didn't contribute anything of substance the world of music. I don't think this is a band many people are going to remember 20 years from now, if people even care about them today. Bad lyrics, listenable but unimaginative music - I don't think there's any reason to bother rating them.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I think they were overrated in the 90's. They weren't bad, but they weren't the greatest band in the world either. All of their records were decent, but if I had to pick one as their best I would say "The Science of Things."
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Not even worthy of being rated
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    decent music for the most part, teribble lyrics. i still listen from time to time.

they had all the success that catherine wheel should have had.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I was really into the first album..But it ended there......
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I really loved their first two albums
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • yeah, not worth rating.
  • They are neither under or over rated.....they are just another generic sounding band. Right up their with the likes of Nickleback, Live, Seven Mary Three and many others.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    They are rated just the right amount. Apathetically.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I liked 'em :o

*TUMBLEWEED*
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I remember that when they were megahuuuge in the States, they came over here to the UK and couldn't even sell out Cambridge Junction, which in the mid- to late-nineties was a fairly tiny venue with a capacity of only a few hundred. So, depending upon geography they were both overrated and underrated.

I always thought them very meh.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    They were ok

Not much else to say

And if you think they didn't purposely rip off Nirvana - then you are fooling yourself
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • DCGARDEN wrote:

And if you think they didn't purposely rip off Nirvana - then you are fooling yourself

you think that a band that formed at the exact same time, half way around the world, ripped off a band that hadn't even made it yet?

yeah. bands did that all the time before the internet. i hear Gavin got on a plane with his bandmates when they were 20, flew to Seattle, and checked out Nirvana pre-bleach to find out what sound they would need to rip off a few years down the road.

makes perfect sense.

really.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Anyway, for those of you too dim to figure it out, Bush did not rip off Nirvana the same way STP did not rip off Pearl Jam

The bands formed around the same time, and had the same influences

One made it, and record labels scoured the world to sign bands that sounded similar so they could cash in on the sound everyone was buying at the time.

Get a clue.
    you think that a band that formed at the exact same time, half way around the world, ripped off a band that hadn't even made it yet?

yeah. bands did that all the time before the internet. i hear Gavin got on a plane with his bandmates when they were 20, flew to Seattle, and checked out Nirvana pre-bleach to find out what sound they would need to rip off a few years down the road.

makes perfect sense.

really.
    Bush formed in 1992, post-Nevermind.

And yes, I would say that makes perfect sense.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Yeah Gavin wasn't making music before 1992

i'm sure he started teaching himself to play guitar right when Nevermind came out.
    Yeah Gavin wasn't making music before 1992

i'm sure he started teaching himself to play guitar right when Nevermind came out.
    So you reckon the music that Bush released in 1994 was the same music he was playing when he picked up the guitar as a kid? Jesus, get over it, he capitalised on the popularity of grunge MASSIVELY. Hell, even if Bush didn't rip off Nirvana when they formed in 1992, which I'm sure they did, they definitely did by the time they released anything. Bands adapt you know. Especially with trends. Especially cookie-cutter rock bands like Bush.
  • NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    Sure they capitalized on grunge as a phenomenon, as did countless other bands in the mid-to-late 90s. Hell all those bands even got credited with their own genre...post-grunge I think it was. But I still don't think they really sounded anything like Nirvana, specifically

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    They are neither under or over rated.....they are just another generic sounding band. Right up their with the likes of Nickleback, Live, Seven Mary Three and many others.
    No way you should be putting 7 Mary 3 in the same category as Nickelback. They're a great live band with solid studio albums. To each their own I guess.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    No way you should be putting 7 Mary 3 in the same category as Nickelback. They're a great live band with solid studio albums. To each their own I guess.

2nd that for Live.

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Sixteen Stone was the first CD I ever owned. I had plenty of cassettes, but that CD was special to me so they will always have a small piece of my heart. They do suck, though (especially anything after that album).
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    So you reckon the music that Bush released in 1994 was the same music he was playing when he picked up the guitar as a kid? Jesus, get over it, he capitalised on the popularity of grunge MASSIVELY. Hell, even if Bush didn't rip off Nirvana when they formed in 1992, which I'm sure they did, they definitely did by the time they released anything. Bands adapt you know. Especially with trends. Especially cookie-cutter rock bands like Bush.

Nobody capitalized on Grunge. Except the record labels, who signed bands who sounded similar to other bands. Since Bush, Gavin has played in Institute, which sounded like a heavier Bush, and did a solo album, which still sounds like Bush.

If he was just trying to rip people off surely he would have changed his style by now.

Soundalikes are a dime a dozen, because there are only so many influences to go around. But blatant ripoffs take a good 10 years.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Well ... as well as listening to grunge etc I listened to Bush when they came out and had a few of their albums ... but I never liked Nirvana ... so I guess I never noticed the similarities :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?