How is Cornell live this year?

dotheandrewdotheandrew Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I got tickets to see Cornell in a few days and I'm excited to see him, but I went on youtube and see he's playing with a band that is nothing to soundgarden or audioslave. I believe those videos are all old, has he been playing by himself or does he have a band to back him up.
5-25-06 Boston II
6-14-08 Bonnaroo
6-30-08 Mansfield II
5-17-10 Boston
10-23-10 Bridge School 24
10-24-10 Bridge School 24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    If they are way old videos from the start of the tour when his band were new, then you gotta give them some credit, they had to learn an awful lot of songs in a very short space of time, but they improved very quickly. Having seen him three times last year, I can confirm that his backing band a fucking fantastic. Obviously they aren't going to sound exactly the same as Audioslave/Soundgarden, but they are all amazing musicians in their own right. I'm particularly impressed with the drummer Jason Sutter, who's an absolute beast behind the kit, some of the Slaves and Bulldozers videos on youtube are incredible.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yeah, his backing band his good. Cornell himself is great, sounds much better than he did with Audioslave.
  • The band is fucking fantastic.

The play all the songs faithfully, and they aren't just hired guns. Every member of the band is a professional musician. The drummer Jason came from American HiFi, The Guitarist Yogi came from Buckcherry and The Wallflowers

The whole show is a giant 2 hour singalong. you're going to have an amazing time.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I can confirm. Saw him in Paris last year and it was absolutely mindblowing! Really small and intimate venue as well. Would've got to see him again this year as well if he hadn't cancelled all the European dates in order to work on his new album. I would try and catch shows before that comes out, by the way. The clips I've heard make me think he's gonna get a DJ and a drum machine for the next tour.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Cornell and company are solid all ways round.

The Slaves and Bulldozers/Freebird that he did in Anaheim last year absolutely owned me. And the crowd. And it had nothing....or very little, to do with the fact that he was shirtless at the time. I snagged that video for my MySpace page and I don't think I'll ever remove it.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I saw Cornell three times last year and he didn't disappoint. The connection the band has has certainly grown and they're much better now than they were at the start of the tour. They are all fantastic musicians in their own right and add interesting twists to old classics; you'll love the show.
  • I saw him last year and the band was incredible. The fact that they are playing 3 different styles and doing it so well earns my respect.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    he is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Cornell ils amazing. I always wonder why people question this great singer. Everything from Soundgarden to Audioslave to Solo is simply great. All many different styles but all just great. Live is voice is kicking ass.
  • Cornell ils amazing. I always wonder why people question this great singer. Everything from Soundgarden to Audioslave to Solo is simply great. All many different styles but all just great. Live is voice is kicking ass.
    It's not his live act that gets criticised, it's more his songwriting and collaborative choices nowerdays.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Chris Cornell is amazing! I saw him at the Avalon in Boston and he was unreal. However, when I went and saw him @ the Bank of America Pavillion (capacity around 5000) I thought it lacked something. I think Soundgarden and Audioslave are great, and Cornell is a kick ass songwriter and performer, but his solo act needs to stay in very intimate settings.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    I saw him at the beacon last year and was very surprised at how good it was.

as long as you are at a decent venue, it will be great