Options

Educate me on Ryan Adams

jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
edited November 2008 in Other Music
I recently picked up the new Ryan Adams Cd and really like it. Have I been unfairly judgmental of this guy? I always thought he was more pop oriented, but the new Cd is really impressive. If I was to look into other albums, which ones would you recommend?
PJ:
2003 Mansfield: July 2
2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
2005 Montreal: Sept 15
2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
2010 Boston: May 17
2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    He's generally more country oriented than pop.

Check out Heartbreaker and Gold from his solo records, Cold Roses with his band The Cardinals and Stranger's Almanac from his first band, Whiskeytown.

Here are some of his best songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZYRvDvgT4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2jYzr1FH0g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2jYzr1FH0g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7WjCTmSm_M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5xnDnRD90&feature=related
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    In my opinion he isnt pop, you'd be hard pressed to try to pin down a style for his music, as he is pretty all over the place. Seriously he changes genre every record it seems like.

I dont have all of his records, but I wish I had more. What I do have I really like. Easy Tiger is great. I have heard Heartbreaker is awesome but I dont have it yet. Maybe read some reviews before you buy anything so you can narrow down what youre looking for style wise.
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Run to you, Summer of 69..after that forget it.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:

you need to go away now. :mad:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    jamie uk wrote:

For the love of God you've gotta retire that joke.
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    If anything I'd say the most recent two albums are more pop than any of his prior releases.

Heartbreaker is an essential purchase. It's not my favorite (though it's up there), but I think that record gets at the essence of what Ryan is at his best.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    if you like cardinology, you'll like easy tiger. since he's been with The Cardinals he's kinda been sticking to a formula, which isn't a bad thing at all if you like what he's doing. cold roses is the best thing he's done with them in my opinion.

This is how they stack up for me:

Love Is Hell
    Cold Roses
    Rock N Roll
    Gold
    Jacksonville City Nights
    Heartbreaker
    Easy Tiger
    Cardinology
    Demolition

To say he's consistent is an understatement; there really isn't much of a gap between best & worst so go get stuck in!! :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    ... there really isn't much of a gap between best & worst so go get stuck in!! :)

i agree with this.

i have a melt down just thinking about ryan adams. love love love his music.

might i also suggest getting a hold of the everybody knows EP. stellar versions of this is it and if i am a stranger :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    For the love of God you've gotta retire that joke.

Sorry, but I can't stop this thing we started.
  • Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    I recently picked up the new Ryan Adams Cd and really like it. Have I been unfairly judgmental of this guy? I always thought he was more pop oriented, but the new Cd is really impressive. If I was to look into other albums, which ones would you recommend?

all the education anyone needs on Ryan Adams is to know that he's not Damien Rice, and to never forget it :)
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    itsevobaby wrote:
    To say he's consistent is an understatement; there really isn't much of a gap between best & worst so go get stuck in!! :)

I have to disagree, but I love the man nonetheless.

And hey, if new listeners are impressed by Cardinology and Easy Tiger that's okay. The best is yet to be discovered in that case.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    all the education anyone needs on Ryan Adams is to know that he's not Damien Rice, and to never forget it :)

how could we ever when youre sitting here reminding us. :p

gotta say though... woman like a man is an utterly awesome song. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    how could we ever when youre sitting here reminding us. :p

gotta say though... woman like a man is an utterly awesome song. :)

he only writes that kind of song, awesome, I mean.
  • Options
    wow, it looks like i have some catching up to do. thanks everyone for your input!
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    wow, it looks like i have some catching up to do. thanks everyone for your input!

well there was that one year where ryan released 3 albums. insanity. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    jervin007 wrote:

His music is good, but I've heard and read interviews and he comes across as a self absorbed jerk. He did an interview here in Austin on KGSR with Jody Denberg and couldn't have been a bigger prick if he tried.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i agree with this.

i have a melt down just thinking about ryan adams. love love love his music.

might i also suggest getting a hold of the everybody knows EP. stellar versions of this is it and if i am a stranger :)
    and his cover of down in a hole! :eek:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    and his cover of down in a hole! :eek:

well yeah... theres that too. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Really good-looking lesbian couples in their early twenties like him. This is why it is the duty of every discerning, outgoing male in his mid-thirties who knows really good-looking lesbian couples in their early twenties to carry a Ryan Adams album in his pocket, in case of social occasions.
  • Options
    Really good-looking lesbian couples in their early twenties like him. This is why it is the duty of every discerning, outgoing male in his mid-thirties who knows really good-looking lesbian couples in their early twenties to carry a Ryan Adams album in his pocket, in case of social occasions.

and you know this how?? youre not giving away any of your mating secrets are you richard?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    and you know this how?? youre not giving away any of your mating secrets are you richard?

Secrets? I don't have any secrets, wummin. :D
  • Options
    Secrets? I don't have any secrets, wummin. :D

well with inxs of 19 and 1/2 thousand posts it would seem nor do i. ;):)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    well with inxs of 19 and 1/2 thousand posts it would seem nor do i. ;):)

INXS? Leave fatal door-polishin' outta this. We're talking Ryan Adams!
  • Options
    INXS? Leave fatal door-polishin' outta this. We're talking Ryan Adams!

yes ma'am. :p:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm really not a fan of his new album, and I'm not sure why. I love Easy Tiger for the most part, but nothing on Cardinology catches my attention like songs like Goodnight Rose and Everybody Knows did. Oh well.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Went and picked up Cold Roses. Definitely quality, better than Cardinology.
    PJ:

• Options
    DOSW wrote:
    I'm really not a fan of his new album, and I'm not sure why. I love Easy Tiger for the most part, but nothing on Cardinology catches my attention like songs like Goodnight Rose and Everybody Knows did. Oh well.
    I like some of the tunes on Easy Tiger better, but generally like Cardinology better!

Either way, the man's a genious.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Cold Roses, Easy Tiger and Cardinology have been the transformation of a junkie to a sober artist. Like someone wrote above, Ryan was a prick in an interview, Ryan was a jerk blah blah blah. He was wasted for most of his adult life. He put out 3 records in a year cause he didn't know what else do with himself besides get high and play music. Now, the guy has found a band that cares about him and he loves playing with them. He has been sober for a couple of years now I believe. I have had Cardinology on repeat all week and these songs really grow on you. The lyrics are beautiful and meaningful. Maybe it's just me, and my sentimental sort of outlook I have on life... but if you're one of those people that enjoys going back and watching St. Elmo's Fire or About Last Night every once in a while... to get that feeling of youth and such.... these lyrics will touch you and the songs will really stick with you. That's the best way I can describe the record. I'd also compare this record a lot to The Twilight Singers - Powder Burns in that if you stuck with the singer songwriter through their junkie years, you will appreciate the lyrics and music of these sober years.

Do yourself a favor and buy Cardinology... :)
    10/22/00 LV, 10/24/00 LA, 10/20/01 SF, 10/21/01 AF, 12/8/02 SEA, 12/9/02 SEA, 6/3/03 Irvine, 7/9/03 MSG, 9/1/05 Gorge, 6/3/06 NJ, 7/9/06 LA, 7/10/06 LA, 7/12/06 The Fonda, 7/13/06 SB, 7/22/06 Gorge, 7/23/06 Gorge, 10/21/06 SF, 10/22/06 SF, 12/2/06 HAW, 12/9/06 HAW, 4/10/08 SB, 4/12/08 LA, 4/15/08 SD
  • Options
    Love Is Hell and Cold Roses are his best records in my opinion......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    my favorite Ryan records from top to bottom:

Heartbreaker
    Cold Roses
    Love is Hell
    Jacksonville City Nights
    Gold
    Demolition
    Easy Tiger
    Rock n Roll
    Cardinology (still pretty new to this one though)

also, his recordings with Whiskeytown are essential, and i pretty much rank them equally:

Pneumonia
    Stranger's Almanac
    Faithless Street