Kimya Dawson!

Omega47Omega47 Posts: 43
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Kimya.

Man, I've been analyzing her music lately. I can't help but think how much she's probably been inspired by "Bee Girl!"

Her style of music and Bee Girl bear a lot of resemblances. Here are some I've found.

1. Both are composed with primarily simple & fun, but meaningful lyrics.

2. Both are written based around simple, single acoustic guitar chords.

3. Both possess an innocence in some of the lyrics, be it referring to innocence or speaking innocently.

4. Both are known for their comfortingly indie lo-fi sound. (Kimya Dawson because she likes to record indie, Bee Girl because it was done in a live session.)

5. Kimya Dawson's vocals rely on huge emphasis of the "R" and "Oo" sounds, therefore, like Eddie's vocals on Bee Girl, a lot of the lyrics come out less drawn out and more upfront. (You're becomes yer, for becomes fer, etc.)

6. Bee Girl is a short, 2-minute storyteller's anthem, much like most of Kimya's songs.

7. Both are really different and easy to musically digest!

I know quite a bit of people who enjoy Kimya's purity and spirit in her songs, and I know if you've seen the movie "Juno" (of which she contributes an array of her new and older material to the soundtrack) you've probably heard WAY too much of her. But I honestly think Bee Girl as covered by Kimya Dawson would've made a suitable appearance on the soundtrack.

If you've never heard of Kimya, listen to some of her stuff or purchase the Juno soundtrack. If you're into Bee Girl, you'll be pleasantly surprised, dear friends of the Pearl Jam Empire. :)
www.myspace.com/fusionsong
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    i only know her from the Juno soundtrack!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Omega47Omega47 Posts: 43
    LongRd. wrote:
    i only know her from the Juno soundtrack!
    It was her big break, most definitely.
    www.myspace.com/fusionsong
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Anyone who likes Kimya should check out her album 'Remember That I Love You'

Also bands she is involved in include The Moldy Peaches and Antsy Pants.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Anyone who likes Kimya should check out her album 'Remember That I Love You'

Also bands she is involved in include The Moldy Peaches and Antsy Pants.

It's definitely one of the best albums I've bought in the last year.. it's brilliant.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    It's definitely one of the best albums I've bought in the last year.. it's brilliant.
    Told ya :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • TheDecline13TheDecline13 Posts: 990
    hiden vagenda is her best record by far, its so dark and deep. But to be honest all of her stuff is to die for. If you get the chance see her live, go for it.
    Tour with fucking NOFX