Dave Matthews Band - New Life in 2008

learntojamlearntojam Posts: 15
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I'm not sure if there are many fans here but the band is onto something big there year. Looking at their lineup alone blows my mind:

Jeff Coffin, the worldwide known saxophone player is taking the spot of Leroi Moore who is currently out because of an accident
Tim Reynolds, if you've never heard this guy play a guitar shame on you
Carter Beauford, you all know him. He's up there with the greatest drummers of all time
Of course, Dave Matthews, very creative and skilled rhythm guitarist

Those 4 alone stand out. But also with Stefan Lessard on bass, Rashawn Ross on trumpet (very well-known player) and Boyd Tinsley it really makes a sight to see when they are on stage together.

If you aren't a fan, fine. If "Dave sucks", which people feel cool saying sometimes, fine. But if you are a music fan and are impressed by pure talent, get yourself to the next DMB show in your area.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i'll be seeing them at MSG in september, can't wait.....heard about leroi's accident on the news, i was hoping he's ok and was wondering what the status of the tour is, but it looks like everything is gonnna be ok
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I'll be seeing both Texas shows in august. It's always a treat to get to see them every summer. Especially looking forward to seeing Tim.

Hopefully we get a new album this year or early next. They've played a lot of new songs the past few years on tour that deserve to be on the next cd.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    damn leroi!!! what the hell you thinking??
    Sources: Roi has Punctured Lung Band Member News
    Posted by Jake Vigliotti 7/2/08 5:10pm
    Leroi Moore may be out for quite a while.

Multiple sources tell antsmarching.org that Leroi Moore suffered a punctured lung and broken ribs. The June 30 accident landed the saxophonist in the hospital, where he remains as of July 2.

Speculation among those familiar with his situation believe that he could be out longer than we anticipate. For "up to a year", according to one source. Most agree that he will not return for this tour.

How this will effect the potential album, and future sessions, is unknown.

Leroi Moore Injured Band Member News
    Posted by Jake Vigliotti 6/30/08 8:12pm
    Dave Matthews Band saxophonist Leroi Moore was injured June 30 in an ATV accident. He is listed in Serious Condition at the University of Virginia Health System, according to The Warehouse.

The accident occurred at his home outside Charlottesville.

No other details are available yet, but as they become available, we will report them.

The official site has already announced that Bela Fleck saxophonist Jeff Coffin will sit in with DMB as Moore recovers.

UPDATE July 1: Roi is upgraded to Fair condition. There is no other information available at this time, but fair is good! You can send an E-Card to Roi via this link and wish him well!

this should be an interesting tour....no butch, no leroi but yet we get timmy!!

2 shows at staples in august....can't wait! :D
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I just saw them last Friday and the show was just fucking phenomenal... I was hoping to get the "Hey Hey, My My" cover, but we got Money instead... which was fucking good. The show would've been even better if everyone just shut the hell up and didn't talk... shit, but other than that, damn, they are so good live.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • They're on fire this year.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    learntojam wrote:
    Carter Beauford, you all know him. He's up there with the greatest drummers of all time

I think he's good, but having 57 pieces in your drum kit doesn't make you one of the greatest of all-time.

Keith Moon, Max Roach, and Neil Peart belong in the discussion. Not so sure about Beauford.

(and I mostly like DMB)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    I'll be there August 9th at Alpine Valley.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I've been seeing DMB since 99 & someone definitely lit a fire under their asses this year - with no album to promote & Butch gone, the sets have been pretty sweet.

The covers - Money, Hey Hey My My, Thank You, Sledgehammer......you never know what they are going to play.

Caught 2 shows in Hartford, 2 in SPAC, hopefully 2 more at Alpine & then MSG!!!

Good vibes go out to Roi!!!!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    The St. Louis show last month was the best DMB concert I've ever been to.
    Tim Reynolds definitely gives the band more of a punch, and I've always liked the trumpet player that has been touring with them the last couple years. Hopefully he stays on.
  • 1st time since '97 that Im not seeing this band over a summer. To be honest I really dont care. I think its kind of sad that they tried to make this work without Leroi on the horn. Hes not the greatest of sax players, but hes kind of unique. Tim Reynolds is the shit, he can single handedly make a concert epic, so I am giving all of the credit to him. :)

I cant imagine seeing PJ without any of their members on stage for consecutive nights. Lets try replacing Mike with Slash? Fuck no!!!
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    having 57 pieces in your drum kit

the monster roll payoff is worth the extra toms

also the dude's hi-hat work is top notch

he's gotta be way up the list at the very least
    hate was just a legend
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    1st time since '97 that Im not seeing this band over a summer. To be honest I really dont care. I think its kind of sad that they tried to make this work without Leroi on the horn. Hes not the greatest of sax players, but hes kind of unique. Tim Reynolds is the shit, he can single handedly make a concert epic, so I am giving all of the credit to him. :)

I cant imagine seeing PJ without any of their members on stage for consecutive nights. Lets try replacing Mike with Slash? Fuck no!!!

Nothing against saxophone players, but I think your lead guitar person is quite different from your sax players in the makeup of any band. Dave's not going cancel the rest of his giant tour and dissappoint millions of fans (and loose all that money). I am all for him keeping the tour going.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    wait...when are they playing at the garden?
  • missed them last time they were near me cos i was ill :(

when do people think the band or just dave solo will come back to the uk?
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    learntojam wrote:

Ummmmm.....not really. In all of mainstream music, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, overplays more than Carter Beauford. Plus, all those shiny cymbals just bug the fuck out of me.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Ummmmm.....not really. In all of mainstream music, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, overplays more than Carter Beauford. Plus, all those shiny cymbals just bug the fuck out of me.

Carter does not over play. His drumming is top notch. Speaking of overplayers, you may have heard of this guy. He's the king of over doing everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyUuvNx_8k&feature=related

double kicks, a flam, splash accents, multiple cymbal hits within the first 30 seconds of the first opening drum fill. Hes like a little boy in a candy store juiced up on caffeine. And this is all during a damn unplugged show, try using some brushes.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09