2nd favorite band

Comments

• guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    upina2001 wrote:
    PEARL JAM

Second Favorite........I have a lot of those.....um.............pink floyd, perfect circle/tool, STP, Radiohead, moe, Blind Melon, GNR, Soundgarden, Beck, Tom Petty, Nirvana, the new REM album is great, MMJ, James Taylor, Beatles, Black Crowes, Alice in Chains, Fleetwood Mac, Stones...yes, that's my second place.
    (I listen to music at work roughly 9 hours a day. So going thru 10 or 12 discs in a day is no big deal. Often I get bored hearing the same ole crap...)

All those and no Zep?
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    PJ is first
    In second right now would be MMJ/Black Crowes/Kings of Leon....those are the ones I'm listening to the most at the moment.
    I'm one that my musical obsessions are constantly changing though and its really hard to identify a solid, guaranteed second place. The Crowes are probably my steady second favorite actually.
    It's nice to have good music to listen to while on a PJ blackout leading up to Bonnaroo
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    rival9500 wrote:
    u2 (here comes all the usual boring u2 sucks comments)

Rounding out the top 5:

iron maiden
    depeche mode
    deftones

"Bono doesn't hold the record....he IS the record"

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    tom waits
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • PJ is #1
    2nd Tier: Zep, Beatles, STP
    3rd Tier: AIC, Beck, Weezer
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    1. pearl jam
    2. wilco

Me too. I discovered Wilco about four years ago and they've steadily climbed my list. Watch out PJ.
    gabers wrote:
    Me too. I discovered Wilco about four years ago and they've steadily climbed my list. Watch out PJ.
    I was first introduced to Wilco when they collaborated with Billy Bragg on that disc of Woody Guthrie songs (the title escapes me) and I liked that a lot. But, they've just never grown on me beyond that for some reason. I put Foxtrot Hotel on just a couple of nights ago and really didn't like it. Obviously they are good or some many folks wouldn't like them so much, but sadly I am unable to join the party.
    Am I lost forever or is there some way my mind can be changed?

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    I was first introduced to Wilco when they collaborated with Billy Bragg on that disc of Woody Guthrie songs (the title escapes me) and I liked that a lot. But, they've just never grown on me beyond that for some reason. I put Foxtrot Hotel on just a couple of nights ago and really didn't like it. Obviously they are good or some many folks wouldn't like them so much, but sadly I am unable to join the party.

Try the kicking televisions double live cd of theirs. It made me appreciate a lot of their songs more.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953

It may take some time just to "get" Wilco. I saw them when I was 13 and they Opened for Sheryl Crow. A.M. was the only record they had out at the time. I just didn't really like their alt country sound, but then again at 12 or 13 years of age, I know now that I was pretty ignorant to music taste. I listened to Everything played on the EDGE or the Buzz (pj, Nirvana, Bush) and that was it. Just bands like that. Then I really started to Appreciate music once the whole emo scene came in and dominated the airwaves.
    Anyhow, I decided to give Wilco another listen mainly from the hype on this board. I went and saw them live again, 2 months ago and was so blown away. They really do have some amazing albums. YHT is my favorite record of theirs but they are all solid listens. You may just have to be in a certain mood to listen to them. See them live if you haven't, that may be enough to appreciate wilco on a whole new level. That Bill Brag record is called Mermaid Avenue I think. There are 2 albums of it I think. If you still don't "get" Wilco, that's ok. I listened to TOOL, saw them live, after the hype of their live shows, and I was very disappointed. Tool was a band that just doesn't click with me. So you are not "lost" it's all just a matter of personal music taste, you like what you like.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    1. pearl jam
    2.soundgarden
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Currently Blind Melon
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
    red mos wrote:
    So you are not "lost" it's all just a matter of personal music taste, you like what you like.
    Oh yeah, I've not lost any sleep over it by any means, but with limited exposure I thought maybe I have missed something. I've never listened to anything because I was "supposed to" or "should" like it. I'm with you on Tool as well....utter garbage in my opinion but I have friends who think they are great

• #1 PJ, followed by Neil Young, Idlewild and KOL.
  • The Beatles, and I also love John Lennon solo
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I have always thought that Zep were the greatest band, but PJ were my favorite. So I guess they kind of are my second favorite, but I also really really like Radiohead and KOL.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Tool.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    red mos wrote:
    That Bill Brag record is called Mermaid Avenue I think. There are 2 albums of it I think.

yes it is. and yes there are 2 of them... mermaid ave and mermaid ave vol.2
    both rather good imo. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Omega47Omega47 Posts: 43
    mariposa wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. The Tragically Hip

The Hip is pretty much the "Pearl Jam of Canada"...not soundwise but more of how they are as a band.
    Though...they'll never make it as big outside of Canada like Pearl Jam have outside the States....but that's totally fine I think...because that's more for us!!! They've written about countless and unforgettable songs...that you could simply call Canadiana and could not find anywhere else. And yes they are really awesome especially to their fans, like how direwolf have pointed out many times in this forum. Hip Hip! :p

I actually got into the Hip first back in '96...then PJ in '98. If there is no PJ...then yep you'll know my answer. :)
    The only reason The Tragically Hip'll never get "exported" is because they're so Canadian. It's cottage music. It's driving music. It's hockey music. It's that band you heard play "that night in Toronto." American's don't do that stuff like Canadians, we've pretty much branded a lot of stuff like that, and to a Canadian, a true close-to-home band like the Hip is a precious way of saying to America, "Ok, you get all that, but we get the Hip, ok?" It's nice. And, my dad, he's probably seen them like 10 times. It's great when they're perpetually in your country, though not always physically, the Hip always seem to take a piece of Canada with them. The Tragically Hip is, well, tragically hip.
    www.myspace.com/fusionsong
  • My top three (in no particular order):

PJ
    Black Crowes
    Supersuckers

I was pleasantly surprised to see how many other people listed the Crowes.
    4/12/94, 9/16/98, 8/30/00, 7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    !.) PJ

@.) Stones

#.) The White Stripes

Then in no particular order: Local H, L7, John Lennon, Beatles, and Hole.

(That's pretty much all I listen to is those 8 bands)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    1) pearl jam
    2) boysetsfire
    3) flogging molly
    4) (for the hell of it) dillinger escape plan
    5) (also for the hell of it) t3h ramones
  • Pearl Jam and Wilco are my top two favorite bands. I can't put one over the other. It's impossible. Both continue to put out albums that show a constantly evolving sound but are still undeniably Pearl Jam/Wilco. Both put on fantastic, organic live shows (and change up their sets every night) and are extremely dedicated to their fanbase (everyone knows how much Pearl Jam does for their fans here, but Wilco does a lot too. For example, they took songs requests online for each show of their spring tour). I've seen Wilco 3 times and Pearl Jam 5, and will always do whatever I can to see them when I come around.

I'm still coming down from my high from the Columbia show last week. I last had this feeling a month after seeing my 3rd Wilco show at the 9:30 Club in DC. I was on the floor, 2 rows of people between me and Nels, and they played an almost 3 hour, 2 encore, 29 song marathon show that completely blew my mind (check out the setlist here: http://wilcobase.com/event.php?event_key=1107)

It's already been sung, but it can't be said enough, all you need is love. I'm the man who loves you Pearl Jam and Wilco.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    I like my second favorite band just as much as Pearl Jam. I'm actually surprised nobody mentioned them yet, as they're arguably one of the most underrated punk/unlable-able bands of all time - if only because they purposely avoided major record contracts their entire career - and had a profound influence on Eddie, Nirvana (Pat Smear) and Rage Against The Machine:

Fugazi out of Wash. D.C. (Eddie just referenced them, too, during the DC show when he dedicated a song to Mt. Pleasant, where I believe Ian Mackaye lives or is from).

If you heard of them but never heard them, email me and I'll mail you a cd of 25-30 songs, free of charge. PS - my "favorites" from them won't fit on one cd, same as PJ.

That's how much I like them and like introducing them to others. two drummers in some songs, two lead singers, great bass, brilliant lyrics.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    to the top.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    1. Jimi Hendrix & The Experience
    2a. The Clash
    2b. Pearl Jam
    NERDS!
  • 1) PJ.

2) = Top 5 in no particular order - Down, REM, Alanis Morissette and Pantera.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    PJ

Radiohead

R.E.M
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    1. Pearl Jam - always...hasn't changed for 14 years

2. varies - usually between Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, and the White Stripes - currently it's Mudhoney
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. The Smashing Pumpkins
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee