Radiohead Mansfield 08/13 - Have I become jadded by Pearl Jam

RoamingErriapusRoamingErriapus Posts: 20
edited August 2008 in Other Music
Hi All,

I just seen Radiohead and I must admit I was a little disappointed.
Granted this was the first time I ever saw them but it seemed to be a let down (pardon the words) of sort. The light show was innovative but it seemed the band was not into it. Or have I been spoiled by Pearl Jam and what I expect from a live show.
I went in knowing I couldn't expect a PJ crowd or response. But, jeez, that is an understatement.
The band fulfilled playing many songs I never expected to hear... A wolf at the door, jigsaw, I might be wrong, KID A. But the crowd never seemed to be into the show. The pre-show vibe I feel at a PJ show was definitely not there. I would say 1/5 of the crowd wasn't even there when Radiohead took the stage. And after the first encore, there was a mass exodus I could clearly see happening. Grant it, it is Mansfield and the parking situation is horrendous. But still.
There was no banter from the band and the disconnect of the band to the audience was clearly evident. Now, diehard Radiohead fans might disagree, but overall, I was disappointed. The music was good but the live versions were barely different from the studio versions. It was great hearing the music for the first time live, but I couldn't totally get into it since no one around me was even trying to get into the show. They were more interested in how they looked to everyone else. The only song anyone even tried to interact with the band was with Karma Police. Paranoid Android was a highlight but the crowd's reaction was pitiful. The Pit people never even seemed to move.
In short, the show was good but not on par at what I expected. I saw Stevie Nicks in June in Boston and she at least showed some interaction with the crowd and seemed honestly interested in being at the show.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I guess Pearl Jam has set the bar too high for future concerts.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'll disagree entirely with you on the band itself -- some of their music comes absolutely alive during their live performances -- esp. the kid a stuff which sounds awesome live and is definitely a departure from how it sounds on the album. and they were in top form. i will agree that the crowd did suck, and I was pissed that I was in the lawn section with a bunch of people walking around, not into the show at all, people getting up during paranoid android, the national anthem, etc. I really wish I was up front for this show, because they were in top form.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I saw them in Camden on Tuesday. The crowd experience was definitely different than a PJ show, but I don't know if it was BAD. Radiohead has a pretty eclectic catalog so you get a strange mix of tunes to fist-pound to and club dance to. And there were some tunes that I just didn't know how to react to at all so I just stood still and drank it all in. The band was amazing and dead on technically which is also different than a PJ show (sorry, Ed). I don't think there's ever a whole lot of interaction with the crowd - which is good because the few words Thom did say I couldn't understand very well with his tendency to mumble and his accent.

Speaking of jaded, I had great seats (actually sat behind some of the band's family members) but I heard a guy right behind me actually complain that he was TOO close and wouldn't be able to get the full effect of the light show! Unbelievable.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    I was there last night. Great show.

Radiohead shows are just different than Pearl Jam shows, you won't get the crowd participation in every song, and the bands have different energy on the stage (though Thom Yorke is always bouncing around). That doesn't mean PJ shows are necessarily better, just different.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    interesting thoughts, i had and maybe still have no idea what to expect for popping my Radiohead cherry next tuesday in vancouver.
  • djenksdjenks Posts: 15
    I was 12 rows back from the stage on the right side and I thought they were amazing. As others have said, it's hard to compare a radiohead show to a pearl jam show... A pearl jam crowd is always gonna be more raucous and fun than a radiohead crowd.. but wow are the guys in radiohead talented. They sounded amazing and I thought they were all very much into the show. Jonny was right in front of me and he was incredible. Great guitarist. As someone else said, they were spot on. Maybe this is why it is hard for them to be so crazy on stage... They have to switch between different instruments mid song and what they do seems very complicated. But wow what an unbelievable band. And the live versions are definetely different from the studio versions.
  • djenksdjenks Posts: 15
    "I saw Stevie Nicks in June in Boston and she at least showed some interaction with the crowd and seemed honestly interested in being at the show."

Haha maybe you should just stick with Stevie Nicks
  • Radiohead last night was incredible, imo. It was my second time seeing them, and it was even better than the first. Reckoner sounded absolutely AMAZING, as did the Kid A stuff as someone else mentioned. I was totally hypnotized the entire time. I and the person I was with just kept looking at each other in awe at how good they sounded, and how beautiful the visuals were. The temperature was perfect too....great night!
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Radiohead have never been much of live act. They play there songs well, but thats pretty much all you get; very little interaction with the crowd, barely any spontanious moments. Bands like Pearl Jam & The Tragically Hip will always blow RH away live.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    They're one of the tightest bands around but they don't interact much with the crowd. I still think they're amazing, but I guess it depends on what you expect/want from a live show. Personally I prefer a band not to talk if they don't know what to say, and I don't know if lots of jokes and annecdotes between songs would really suit Radiohead's style. It's better to be quiet than say the same stupid jokes every show (sure it impresses the first timers, but only ends up annoying any fans going to multiple gigs).

As for the disconnection from the crowd, I kinda agree. I've seen them 4 times, 3 of those times I was in the front 10 rows and the other time I was way way way back. The times in the front crowd were great with people hanging on every note, there were eruptions of energy everytime the band launched into a new song. On the other hand, the time I was all the way back everyone seemed to be kinda bored through the slow songs and it generally had a chatty atmosphere with people waiting for a faster song. They're not the best band at keeping the whole crowd attentive, but the front is amazing.

Like most bands you can tell when they're into it or not by their mannerisms on stage. They're never going to be into it at every show but when you catch a special show you know it. Out of the shows I've seen, Johnny only interacted with the audience at one show, and he did seem a hell of a lot happier at that show. IMO Radiohead are one of the only bands (along with Pearl Jam) that it really pays to see multiple times.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Musically Radiohead live blows Pearl Jam out of the water...not even close. They play so many different instruments and the nail every single song

but if 'great live show' means you want them to spend time talking to you, then yes, I guess Pearl Jam is better at that.

Pearl Jam is my favorite band, but I think musically Radiohead is much more advanced than Pearl Jam in both studio recordings, and live shows. I mean, I saw Johnny Greenwood play guitar, then play guitar with a violin bow, synthesizer, tribal drums, keyboard and xylophone in the span of 5 minutes- and it's not like he is the freak of the band by being able to do that because they all have those talents. I mean they are 2 different bands- Pearl Jam's longevity it partly due to their lack of innovation- by which I mean, they all basically know their role and stick to it- but Radiohead is different, they change what they are doing on every song- sometimes Thom plays the piano and sometimes he takes the lead guitar- sometimes Ed plays the guitar- sometimes he plays the drums- and it's not like Smile, where it's a special occasion- it's the whole show.

But you shouldn't discount a live show because they don't sit there and talk to you all night
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    Hi All,

I just seen Radiohead and I must admit I was a little disappointed.
    Granted this was the first time I ever saw them but it seemed to be a let down (pardon the words) of sort. The light show was innovative but it seemed the band was not into it. Or have I been spoiled by Pearl Jam and what I expect from a live show.
    I went in knowing I couldn't expect a PJ crowd or response. But, jeez, that is an understatement.
    The band fulfilled playing many songs I never expected to hear... A wolf at the door, jigsaw, I might be wrong, KID A. But the crowd never seemed to be into the show. The pre-show vibe I feel at a PJ show was definitely not there. I would say 1/5 of the crowd wasn't even there when Radiohead took the stage. And after the first encore, there was a mass exodus I could clearly see happening. Grant it, it is Mansfield and the parking situation is horrendous. But still.
    There was no banter from the band and the disconnect of the band to the audience was clearly evident. Now, diehard Radiohead fans might disagree, but overall, I was disappointed. The music was good but the live versions were barely different from the studio versions. It was great hearing the music for the first time live, but I couldn't totally get into it since no one around me was even trying to get into the show. They were more interested in how they looked to everyone else. The only song anyone even tried to interact with the band was with Karma Police. Paranoid Android was a highlight but the crowd's reaction was pitiful. The Pit people never even seemed to move.
    In short, the show was good but not on par at what I expected. I saw Stevie Nicks in June in Boston and she at least showed some interaction with the crowd and seemed honestly interested in being at the show.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I guess Pearl Jam has set the bar too high for future concerts.

It must had been where you were sitting. I got a text from a friend last night, also a huge PJ fan that has gone to double digit shows. Her exact words. "Best Show Ever. The lights. The energy. The band is playing everything perfectly so spot on"

But then again you will always find one person with one opinion and another with the opposite. And either way it's all good. I was suppose to go last night but at the last minute we had to back out. Still bummed that I missed out.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Thanks all for your interactions. A day later I'm still on the fence but your opinions have really helped me think of how I expected the show to be like.

I guess it's more like when I first saw Pink Floyd back in 1994. I was expecting so much and yet came away disappointed especially since I was in the nose bleeds of the old Cleveland Stadium.

But looking back at yesterdays concert... Yes the are technically and musically better than PJ, but I was looking for more from live versions of their songs. Trust me... hearing Kid A live blew me away.
    Going back to the Pink Floyd reference, I guess I should just resolve to understand that they put on a great visual and live experience and leave it like that in which I am truly humbled by their performance. Trust me, "The Bends" was extraordinary.

Hmmm... maybe my next thread should be how "British" bands and "American" bands are different live experiences.

BTW: Stevie Nicks at 60 yrs old can still hold a candle to the much younger musicians we love to hear today. I can't wait to see Fleetwood Mac next year.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I agree that bands like R.E.M. and their live shows are nothing like a PJ show in the states anyway. I saw R.E.M. the night before PJ in Camden and the crowd was a huge massiive difference but R.E.M. put on a great show.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Pearl Jam = Theater.
    Radiohead = Cinema.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Zoso wrote:
    I agree that bands like R.E.M. and their live shows are nothing like a PJ show in the states anyway. I saw R.E.M. the night before PJ in Camden and the crowd was a huge massiive difference but R.E.M. put on a great show.

I saw R.E.M. back in June (the show where Ed came on stage)...one of my favorite shows I've ever been to...

I saw Radiohead twice (same amount as I've seen PJ) at Lolla and at All Points West. Both times were marred by factors that had nothing to do with the band-Lolla had horrible sound where I was and it was packed as hell, so I couldnt even really see anything. All Points West was another matter altogether, I spent most of the set trying to reach my girlfriend (both our phones died) and by the time we finally found eachother the main set was close to ending.

So, this means I didn't experience either show as fully as I normally do (I usually get very into shows and focus very closely) but I can safely say Radiohead is unbelievable live. The lights, the different things they all do (Johnny Greenwood playing the horn part from "National Anthem" on guitar was a highlight for me) all comes together for such a cool show. I love PJ live too, but its a different experience. I think its tough to say Id ever like a show more than PJ just because of my bias(though I do like Radiohead almost as much as I like PJ) but Radiohead has got to be up there.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    You should just be grateful you got to see Johnny Greenwood playing an Ondes Martenot. Not many musicians bring one of those on stage.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • In my experience at Radiohead shows (and I've been to a few), I much prefer them at an inside venue.

I'm going to see them tonight at the Molson Amphitheater (which is outside) and I'm already preparing myself for disappointment. Not for the show...I know the show will be fantastic, but for the sound. It's just not the same when you're outside. You don't get punched in the face by the impact of their songs the same when you're outside.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that it's because so much of their music gets lost when you're outside. When you're in a building, all the little sounds and intricacies just bounce off the walls and it creates the most perfect sound.

As for comparing them to Pearl Jam, I don't think it can be done. Pearl Jam is fantastic wherever they are (which is my totally bias opinion) and no band can compare to that for me, but Radiohead is a very close second. I just wish they would stick to inside venues.

Given all that, I can't fucking wait for tonight. What a wicked week it's been...Eddie Vedder Tuesday and Wednesday at Massey Hall and Radiohead tonight.