What Screaming Tree's album should I get?

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I want to get into them for the obvious reasons. So what album is the best for starters?

What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I always say start at the beginning, regardless of the band.....
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    My favorites:

Buzz Factory
    Uncle Anesthesia
    Sweet Oblivion

If you want to check out a lot of the earlier stuff, you might want to get the anthology disc which is the SST years (aka everything up to Buzz Factory)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    Dust or Sweet Oblivion. Dying Days on Dust also features Sir Mike Mc Cready.
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Just get all of them. J/K... Start with Dust or Sweet Oblivion. Honestly the thread on here for their Unreleased album has some really great stuff. It should be on the first couple of pages.
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    ^Yeah, I saw that. I just wanted to know what to start at. I'm gonna get Dust.

Thanks guys. :)
    What the fuck is this world?
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Uncle Anesthesia. I wrote about it on my music blog a few weeks back..

http://forgottendiscfriday.blogspot.com/2008/02/fdf-vol-1-issue-85-screaming-trees.html

i even post mp3's and live shows of most of the stuff I write about.

I like the "later" trees stuff (well from this record) on the best.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I always say start at the beginning, regardless of the band.....
    Bad, BAAAD move with Screaming Trees. The stuff on SST is alright, great in places but not a good introduction. I would say start with Sweet Oblivion, then Dust (their best) and then Uncle Anaesthesia. Then it's a free for all.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    1. Sweet Oblivion
    If you like that, then get:
    2. Dust
    From there pick up:
    3. Buzz Factory & Uncle Anesthesia
    Then:
    4. Change Has Come EP (out of print, but badass, it's the bridge between Buzz Factory and Uncle Anesthesia), and the SST Anthology (you'll have four or five of these tunes on Buzz Factory already, but the rest is golden).

Once you have all those look into the rest of the SST albums. The pre-Buzz Factory are very low-fi. Serriously raw, a definite garage like vibe going on there. They are more of an aquired taste. They did a good job of cherry picking the best tunes from that period for the SST Anthology. Cold Rain in particular is a gem.
  • nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    Gotta be Sweet Oblivion.

I love the other Trees albums as much as anyone else here, but to recommend anything else besides maybe Dust isn't a great idea.

The other albums are great and I love them, but it's kind of like Pearl Jam -- you wouldn't suggest No Code or Binaural as the first Pearl Jam album someone listens to. You might love them, but they're not the ones that are going to immediately get people sucked in. Likewise, with the Screaming Trees, I wouldn't recommend the SST stuff or Buzz Factory or even Uncle A.

Of course, I think they had a greatest hits thing, Ocean of Confusion...that wouldn't be a lousy pick at all.