Consolers of the Lonely

edited July 2008 in Other Music
Jack White man love thread....anyone like the new Raconteurs album?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Yes, I do. Almost half that record is top shelf. The rest is good.
    The last two tracks blend nicely together.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I've had it since it came out and I've only heard it like 10 times. It's sounds okay, but it doesnt really hold my attention as much as their debut did. I listened to that thing non-stop for like a month. So far I really like Consoler of the Lonely, You Don't Understand Me, and a few others. Hopefully when I see them in Austin, they'll get me more interested in the new album.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Great album and should be great live.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • It sounds more like they got together to write the songs, and that they really gelled together as a band. There's more songwriting (with most of the songs topping three minutes, as the last album stuck to the whitestripes short and hard approach).
    It seems like the first album was Jack and Brenden bringing songs they already had and this one is the band working together.
    Whiloe not immediately gripping (longer songs, fewer quick riffs) I think it'll grow better than the last one did.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Much better than their debut, it actually sounds like a band rather than a collection of random songs. That being said, it still feels like it is missing something....I think it's Meg...
  • I honestly listened to this album about 30 times already. It's fuckin' great.
  • RockerJRockerJ Posts: 12
    i love this album. the title track is awesome. i wish jack had more lead vocal parts though.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I've had it since it came out and I've only heard it like 10 times. It's sounds okay, but it doesnt really hold my attention as much as their debut did. I listened to that thing non-stop for like a month. So far I really like Consoler of the Lonely, You Don't Understand Me, and a few others. Hopefully when I see them in Austin, they'll get me more interested in the new album.

Continue to stick with it.Its an amazing grower the more listens.IMO its marginally better than Warpaint and pisses over Accelerate.All having been released close together.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    am i the only one who thought what he did with Loretta Lynn ("Portland, OR" )

was the best shit he ever did?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505

I thought Van Lear Rose was a solid album. Just about anything Jack touches turns to gold. The wife and I listened to the album last week on the way home from the beach.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

It was the best only because it had good subject matter. ;):D
    NERDS!
  • Got it the day it came out and have about worn out the mp3s. I loved seeing them at 'roo cause they played almost the entire new album. I'm going to see them again in September at the Ryman in Nashville.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Got it the day it came out and have about worn out the mp3s. I loved seeing them at 'roo cause they played almost the entire new album. I'm going to see them again in September at the Ryman in Nashville.

Man I wish I was going to see them at the Ryman....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    love it...Carolina Drama is epic...Jack Whites finest moment
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • petrocs wrote:
    love it...Carolina Drama is epic...Jack Whites finest moment

Clearly Carolina Drama and Blue Veins are his best work with the Racs.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    It sounds more like they got together to write the songs, and that they really gelled together as a band. There's more songwriting (with most of the songs topping three minutes, as the last album stuck to the whitestripes short and hard approach).
    It seems like the first album was Jack and Brenden bringing songs they already had and this one is the band working together.
    Whiloe not immediately gripping (longer songs, fewer quick riffs) I think it'll grow better than the last one did.

I 100% agree.

Can't wait to see them in Portland Sept 17th.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.