Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I love morphine. :)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    I love morphine. :)
    And I love you. They are one of my absolute favorites. The Night, their last record brings me so much joy, always.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
    HushBull wrote:
    And I love you. They are one of my absolute favorites. The Night, their last record brings me so much joy, always.
    it's been hard finding another fan...many don't dig the sax.
    it's been hard finding another fan...many don't dig the sax.
    I love rock music featuring the sax when it isn't used to produce hideous ska.
    I think his style of bass playing confuses people as well. It's so looooooooow, a 2 to 3 stringer played with a slide, kinda odd...
    It's what makes them great, their rock-jazz sensibility, odd instrumentation, the coolest/sexiest lead voice ever, and great hooks. What more could you want?!??!?!
    HushBull wrote:
    I love rock music featuring the sax when it isn't used to produce hideous ska.
    I think his style of bass playing confuses people as well. It's so looooooooow, a 2 to 3 stringer played with a slide, kinda odd...
    It's what makes them great, their rock-jazz sensibility, odd instrumentation, the coolest/sexiest lead voice ever, and great hooks. What more could you want?!??!?!
    exactly!! :)
    exactly!! :)
    That's it, I'm starting a religion!
  • I saw Morphine a few times here in England back in 96 or 97. Great shows and Mark Sandman was a comedy genius. Some of those gigs I saw were like stand-up routines with added music. Very cool.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Count me in as a big Morphine fan ...

Saw them a few times when I was back in Boston. I had Morphine as one of my bands in the "Bands with deceased singers you miss" thread ... Mark Sandman dying on stage ... effin' traggic.

Here's one I don't think you posted ... Whisper is my favorite "naughty time" type tune ... that song hits me, in a big way. It starts at 3:50 or so ... a little double shot of Moprhine comin' at ya ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m1iTZItBzGY

I'll have to dig up my Treat Her Right cd, it's here somewhere ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • I love Morphine, too. The first song I heard was Honey White on 120 Minutes. It was live and AWESOME! I went out and bought Yes right away. I have the entire collection on my iPod including Sandbox which is awesome, too.

Whisper is one of my favorite tracks along with Scratch and Sharks In The Water. Most of their stuff is super sexy. Good "mood" music.

Have you heard about A.K.A.C.O.D. or "also known as Colley, Ortiz and Dersch"?

It's the sax player from Morphine and the lead singer from Bourbon Princess. She is super hot. They are trying to keep the Sandman's music flowing.

http://www.myspace.com/akacod
    Chicago 8-23-09

Have you heard about A.K.A.C.O.D. or "also known as Colley, Ortiz and Dersch"?

It's the sax player from Morphine and the lead singer from Bourbon Princess. She is super hot. They are trying to keep the Sandman's music flowing.

http://www.myspace.com/akacod
    Wow, I like this a lot. Very interesting that they sound so much like Morphine, but I don't mind. It seems right.
  • I thought the same thing. I think somewhere Mark Sandman is smiling.

Do you have the Sandbox: The Recordings of Mark Sandman?

If so, do you think his solo stuff is Morphine-esque?
    Chicago 8-23-09

I thought the same thing. I think somewhere Mark Sandman is smiling.

Do you have the Sandbox: The Recordings of Mark Sandman?

If so, do you think his solo stuff is Morphine-esque?

I used to listen to it via Napster. Some songs are very Morphine like, others not so much. It's a little more folky, maybe? As usual I'm having a hard time expressing what his music sounds like. So different, so good. :)
  • HushBull wrote:
    I used to listen to it via Napster. Some songs are very Morphine like, others not so much. It's a little more folky, maybe? As usual I'm having a hard time expressing what his music sounds like. So different, so good. :)

True. True.

Have you heard of Supergroup? Apparently he and Chris Ballew, the lead singer for PUSA, recorded a couple of songs together. I have tried to find it to no avail.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I love morphine.
    I saw them once back in 95 or 96. awesome !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i am really glad to see this thread. i love morphine.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    True. True.

Have you heard of Supergroup? Apparently he and Chris Ballew, the lead singer for PUSA, recorded a couple of songs together. I have tried to find it to no avail.
    The only Sandman I know of is Morphine, Treat Her Right, & solo. Otherwise, nothing...=(
    Oh yea, I have like an orchestral version of their songs on an album. I haven't listened to it in awhile though. I remember it being nothing too special.
    Reposted for its beauty, http://youtube.com/watch?v=GUAQJxKfSfw
    As long as Metallica is still on the first page, so will Morphine. They are much more deserving and don't have shitty hair. :)
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Love this band, almost feel a bit guilty that I discovered them through The Sopranos. So dark and wonderful.
    muppet wrote:
    Love this band, almost feel a bit guilty that I discovered them through The Sopranos. So dark and wonderful.
    What, when?
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    HushBull wrote:
    What, when?

Wasn't Buena used in the Sopranos? At least the opening riff ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP8QhblSkRI

I'm one of the few that never got into the Sopranos, but, an ex of mine loved it, I remember being at her place and hearing Morphine from her TV, and the Sopranos was on ....
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yeah, they showed part of the Buena music video in the show, I believe. Was also on at the end credits.
  • I <3 Morphine. I saw them when they played their first Florida show @ the Carefree Theater, which seats all of 700 people. I got to meet them afterwards, and I asked Mark Sandman to sign my cd cover for "Like Swimming". I wanted him to sign it "Swimming like a motherfucker". He told me he didn't want to write any obscenities, so he scribbled something else. When I got into my car, I noticed he had written "You are a motherfucker".
    "I would love to see a forklift life a crate of forks. It would be so damn literal." - Mitch Hedberg

9/23/98 WPB, 8/10/00 WPB, 4/11/03 WPB, 4/13/03 Tampa, 10/4/04 Kissimmee, 6/11/08 WPB, 6/12/08 Tampa