i got the blues...

Lee_JamLee_Jam Posts: 71
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Any big blues fans out there? My musical taste is heading this way these days, listening to a lot of SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, BB King, Elmore James, Robert Johnson, Hound Dog Taylor, Clapton, Chuck Berry etc

Any stuff you would recommend?
How to be happy and true is the quest we're taking on together.

Take it on, on, on, on, on.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Aside from the ones you mentioned, some of my favorites are John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Big Mama Thornton. Any old Buddy Guy with Junior Wells stuff tends to be great.

For blues/rock, I highly recommend Rory Gallagher, and Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac. Check out Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour album and Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On. Also check out Fleetwood Mac's BBC sessions. There's a lot of crap on it, but the good stuff is really, really good.

I also just got into a more modern blues player named Alvin Youngblood Hart. Check out his Motivational Speaker album. Joe Bonnamossa also throws down some pretty awesome blues rock. Try his albums Had To Cry Today or You & Me.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Definitely Muddy Waters!

Other classics include Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, Blind Lemon Jefferson and Leadbelly.

For more modern Blues/Rock you might want to give the Black Crowes (First two or three albums are really good) and Black Keys a listen. Gary Moore has also had some good releases in that area, I'm thinkin of stuff like 'Still Got the Blues' and 'After Hours'.

For blues influenced classic rock the Allman Brothers Band ('Live at Fillmore East' is a fantastic record) and Cream are a good starting point.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, but it should get you started.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Aside from the ones you mentioned, some of my favorites are John Lee Hooker [...]

For blues/rock, I highly recommend Rory Gallagher [...] Check out Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour album [...]

Definitely agree on those two, definitely Rory Gallagher! 'Walk on Hot Coals', what a tune!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • I can't believe I forgot Muddy. He's my absolute favorite blues singer, and probably one of my top ten favorite singers period. Howlin Wolf rules too. The Howlin Wolf London Sessions album with Clapton on guitar is very cool.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I can't believe I forgot Muddy. He's my absolute favorite blues singer, and probably one of my top ten favorite singers period. Howlin Wolf rules too. The Howlin Wolf London Sessions album with Clapton on guitar is very cool.

Oh yeah, Howlin' Wolf is a good one.

Also, do yourself a favour and check out Seasick Steve, that guy absolutely owns!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    many of the good ones are already listed.

I personally love BB Kings "Why I sing the Blues"

You need a little Albert King in there too the complete works of Robert Johnson

and then listen to Exile on Main Street from the Rolling Stones with massive blues influence and then Led Zepplin one and two.

So much of those two bands is built on classic blues music.

For the hell of it Check out Robert Cray.... then Robert Randolph and the family band.

While you're at it get some soul. James Brown
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks for all the info everyone!

yeah, ive checked out Howlin Wolf and Rory G lately also, both excellent.

There was some mentioned there that Im not familiar with tho, so definatley be checkin em out

Heading to see seasick steve next week so cant wait!

Lee_Jam wrote:
    Heading to see seasick steve next week so cant wait!

You're in for a treat! I saw him last week - the show was absolutely brilliant!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Joe Bonnamossa also throws down some pretty awesome blues rock. Try his albums Had To Cry Today or You & Me.
    How do these compare to Sloe Gin? I have that one, the title track floors me. This thread prompted me to play the live Shepherds Bush EP.

His guitar playing is beautiful without pretentious noodling.
  • Yielded wrote:
    You're in for a treat! I saw him last week - the show was absolutely brilliant!

nice one! saw him on jools holland whow over new years, seems a real charachter!

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Lee_Jam wrote:
    nice one! saw him on jools holland whow over new years, seems a real charachter!

Oh Seasick Steve was amazing on Jools.I got his album Dog House Music.Its great,he is a character.

For blues most of the greats have been mentioned but there's a great blues guy called Aynsley Lister,he's a young English guy,amazing guitarist.I would highly recommend checking him out.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I got his album Dog House Music.Its great,he is a character.

He's very rock and roll :)

I got Dog House Music on vinyl, it's sick!
  • Definitely you need to hear some Buddy Guy, solo as well as his work with Junior Wells as someone else suggested. Buddy is best live in my opinion, anything you can find along those lines should make you a fan
    For a great dose of blues/soul you need to hear Robert Cray...he's great. I also like Keb Mo'....also very good.
    In addition to the white boy blues already suggested, I would say Kenny Wayne Shepard and Tommy Castro are good ones. There was also a guy named Corey Stevens who put out a few albums several years ago which were quite good...I actually met him once. And if you like your blues with some kick ass horns in it, check out the jazzy Roomful of Blues...i remember listening to their "Dance All Night" album nonstop for like six months one time.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    the first 6 ZZ Top albums. Or perhaps just their first Greatest Hits CD which I think covers these albums. Currently listening to Bonamassa ripping through Just Got Paid.

Blue Jean Blues is the greatest white boy blues song I have ever heard. Perhaps I should just say it is my favorite.
  • transplant wrote:
    How do these compare to Sloe Gin? I have that one, the title track floors me. This thread prompted me to play the live Shepherds Bush EP.

His guitar playing is beautiful without pretentious noodling.

The sound is pretty similar to Sloe Gin. All 3 are great albums. You & Me has an awesome cover of Zeppelin's Tea For One.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Check out Rory gallagher( an amazing Irish guitarist) on youtube, you won't be dissapointed.
    He recorded with Muddy Waters in the 70's.
  • yeah, i have a few gallacher albums but didnt know he worked with muddy waters. they do an album together?

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Definitely you need to hear some Buddy Guy, solo as well as his work with Junior Wells as someone else suggested. Buddy is best live in my opinion, anything you can find along those lines should make you a fan
    For a great dose of blues/soul you need to hear Robert Cray...he's great. I also like Keb Mo'....also very good.
    In addition to the white boy blues already suggested, I would say Kenny Wayne Shepard and Tommy Castro are good ones. There was also a guy named Corey Stevens who put out a few albums several years ago which were quite good...I actually met him once. And if you like your blues with some kick ass horns in it, check out the jazzy Roomful of Blues...i remember listening to their "Dance All Night" album nonstop for like six months one time.
    i love buddy guy, should i go see him live? does he still put on a good show?
  • i love buddy guy, should i go see him live? does he still put on a good show?

I haven't seen him in a few years, but I saw him three times is the late 90's, maybe 2000 or 2001, and I count all three as some of the best shows I've ever seen. He's amazing live.
  • Joe Bonamassa rocks! Saw him front row center. Best seat in the house. And it was free, went with a few ppl that had someone bail out. Frickin front row center! It was fantastic
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I'm from Mississippi, where the blues were born and raised (before they moved off to Memphis and Chicago ;) ).

Nearly everything in rock & roll has some root in the blues. It's hard not to borrow from blues pioneers because what they did was so simple, so basic, and so authentic. As Willie Dixon says, "The blues is the roots. Everything else is the fruits."

Many of the artists mentioned above are solid representations of the blues. I just want to add my endorsement of the following:

Robert Cray
    Robert Randolph
    Mississippi John Hurt
    John Mayer
    Keb' Mo'
    R.L. Burnside
    Buddy Guy
    Guitar Shorty
    any guy whose name includes a state, blindness, or sonny boy

Also, find your local Blues Club/Juke Joint and pay them a visit. You'll find the scene is still alive and well, even if it's a bit underground at this point.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I haven't seen him in a few years, but I saw him three times is the late 90's, maybe 2000 or 2001, and I count all three as some of the best shows I've ever seen. He's amazing live.
    thanks
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    I'm from Mississippi, where the blues were born and raised (before they moved off to Memphis and Chicago ;) ).

Nearly everything in rock & roll has some root in the blues. It's hard not to borrow from blues pioneers because what they did was so simple, so basic, and so authentic. As Willie Dixon says, "The blues is the roots. Everything else is the fruits."

Many of the artists mentioned above are solid representations of the blues. I just want to add my endorsement of the following:

Robert Cray
    Robert Randolph
    Mississippi John Hurt
    John Mayer
    Keb' Mo'
    R.L. Burnside
    Buddy Guy
    Guitar Shorty
    any guy whose name includes a state, blindness, or sonny boy

Also, find your local Blues Club/Juke Joint and pay them a visit. You'll find the scene is still alive and well, even if it's a bit underground at this point.

thanks for that, ive since checked out all of the above. brilliant stuff. especially keb mo and RL burnside.

• Check out Popa Chubby. The best blues artist that I have had the pleasure of seeing. There's plenty on youtube, these are a couple of my fav's. Agree with an earlier post , the first half dozen ZZ Top albums are awesome!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VYaY7bNA4MQ

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3_c86x-Xmcg&feature=related