Any canadians in the house??

Arcane-NIArcane-NI Posts: 14
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Hey my name is Aidan Gallagher and I am a musician from Ireland, Its quite
possible that my partner my daughter and I will be moving to Canada in the next year.
I think we're moving to the Saskatchewan or Suncountry area and I was wondering does anyone know any musician forums or websites for local music scenes for any of those areas as I will be getting a new band on the rip when I arrive!!!!

Here's a link to my previous bands music. Arcane.

http://www.myspace.com/arcaneni

Thanks in advance!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you won't get to see too many big bands as they mainly just hit vancouver, montreal and toronto.

my advice Saskatchewn is flat, boring and fucking cold as hell don't move there.
  • I'm from Winnipeg, it's as close to that province as you'll ever want to get. Decent music scene around here with a lot of variety.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • "In a church... in Saskatchewan."

This whole country is beautiful, I have never been to Saskatchewan so I don't have great advice for you. But, you should seriously think about how cold it will be. I hear it gets really cold.

Music in Canada is awesome. I loves it.
    Cock Fight.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I was born there, but thankfully my family ended up moving to Calgary when I was only 2. I've been through there a few times on road trips, and I can tell you that Saskatoon is a very nice town, but Regina...not so much. I'm sure you've already been asked this by other Canadians, but why the hell are you moving to Saskatchewan?? Usually people end up moving AWAY from Saskatchewan. Just curious. If you truly have your heart set on moving to the prairies, I'd choose Winnipeg. They've got an amazing art & music culture there.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • gleemonex wrote:
    I'm from Winnipeg, it's as close to that province as you'll ever want to get. Decent music scene around here with a lot of variety.

have you heard of Keith and Renee?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Canada in the house...
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    yes, I am in my house right now, thanks for asking
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    smarchee wrote:
    yes, I am in my house right now, thanks for asking
    lol
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • have you heard of Keith and Renee?

Yeah. I've heard of them. Never gone and checked them out though. They never really appealed to me.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I'm from Regina and will never move away from it. If you are looking for the above average quality of life, you can't go wrong. We're a small city (200K) but have everything you need. Unlike most other cities across Canada, we're not stuck in traffic all day getting to and from work, nearly everyone is friendly, we have the most "sun" days in Canada, we have the best air quality in the world and the cost of living is still the cheapest around. In regards to the music scene, it's there but it's not. You know what I mean?

Now some of the bad things. We're not a big city. We don't have a lot of clubs if that interests you. Our summers are shorter than most. Our mosquitos are the size of dragonflys. It does get cold. Today isn't so bad, it's minus 25, but with the wind minus 35. It's tolerable but for about a week or two every winter we'll get down to minus 50. Your skin freezes in 30 seconds!!!!

Winnipeg is a bigger Regina. Calgary grew to fast and is now facing major problems in regards to infrastructure. It's a zoo, but a very "pretty" city and has the mountains an hour away. I've always liked Edmonton for some reason.

Every city has it's pros and cons. Do some research and decide for yourself.
  • It does get cold. Today isn't so bad, it's minus 25, but with the wind minus 35. It's tolerable but for about a week or two every winter we'll get down to minus 50.

How do you crazy folks do it?! I never realized how cold it really got on the prairies. -30 feels like DEATH to me and it doesn't get much colder than that over here. It's going down to -10 tomorrow, the coldest it's been so far this year, and I'm dreading having to spend a good part of the day outside. -50 though?!?!?!?!?! I don't think I could leave the house. That is absolutely DISGUSTING! Props to you people who can live through that!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • How do you crazy folks do it?! I never realized how cold it really got on the prairies. -30 feels like DEATH to me and it doesn't get much colder than that over here. It's going down to -10 tomorrow, the coldest it's been so far this year, and I'm dreading having to spend a good part of the day outside. -50 though?!?!?!?!?! I don't think I could leave the house. That is absolutely DISGUSTING! Props to you people who can live through that!

Our average is probably around minus 25. The big problem though is the wind. We're flat and don't have many trees around the city so the wind just shoots right through town. I really don't mind minus 20-25 with no wind. It's actually pretty comfortable, but that minus 50 stuff is wild. I don't know if you guys out there have to plug your cars in that much but even if we plug our cars in when it's that cold, you just never know if it'll start.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    How do you crazy folks do it?! I never realized how cold it really got on the prairies. -30 feels like DEATH to me and it doesn't get much colder than that over here. It's going down to -10 tomorrow, the coldest it's been so far this year, and I'm dreading having to spend a good part of the day outside. -50 though?!?!?!?!?! I don't think I could leave the house. That is absolutely DISGUSTING! Props to you people who can live through that!

You guys can keep your -30's ....-40's ...-50's :eek: or whatever .... I'll stick with life on the left coast! :cool:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10