Do you believe that In Rainbows marketing idea was good?

ComfisComfis Posts: 117
edited April 2008 in Other Music
As most of you know, Radiohead decided to give fans the chance to pay how much they like for their last album In Rainbows.

Other artists like Madonna, Jay Z, Lily Allen agreed or disagreed with the Radiohead idea.

What is your opinion? is it good for the music, for fans, for the music industry?
My choice for Radiohead News is InRadiobows.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I thought it was a great idea, until they started to flog it in the shops. Just made the whole thing seem a bit redundant.

And Lily Allen's comment there about eggs and music baffles me.
  • I think it just put pressure on unsigned musicians to give the music that they spent a small fortune recording, mastering, printing and distributing themselves, away for next to nothing, "because music is free nowadays". It didn't just hurt The Man. It hurt everyone.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think it just put pressure on unsigned musicians to give the music that they spent a small fortune recording, mastering, printing and distributing themselves, away for next to nothing, "because music is free nowadays". It didn't just hurt The Man. It hurt everyone.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from on that one, it really is only feasible for well established bands to do that. I think Trent Reznor's method with Ghosts was far better, it gave options to pretty much everyone, from those who wanted to spend nothing, to those who wanted a limited edition physical copy.
  • It was a fantastic marketing idea for a band who, because of already being mega-famous and rich, could afford it. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i don't know if it was a good idea. This worked, of course, but because it was radiohead... if an unknow band releases its album on the web, it's not known...
    and as a customer, I prefer to pay $15 for a CD in a store than a few $ for mp3s...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    It's a fairly good idea but needs tweaking.

The good things:
    -Releasing an album online when its just been recorded. Artists always moan when albums leak but these days it's inevitable, so they may as well give an official download that people can pay for.
    -Releasing only moderate quality mp3s to encourage people to buy the albums.

The Bad things:
    -Letting people choose a price is never a good idea. Trent Reznor's way of releasing Ghosts makes much more sense, releasing lots of different options with different pricings, with only a few tracks free as a demo.
    -Saying it'll revolutionise the record industry. It hasn't and it won't. It picked up press because it had never been done before, but if everyone did it no one would pick up press and very few bands would make money out of it.
    -Not releasing official figures. People have lost faith in record labels, especially with labels moaning all the time about how no one buys music. I think it'd do bands good to announce how well these things do to try and reinstate some faith in the music industry.

All in all Radiohead obviously went to the extreme to pick up more publicity, but Trent Reznor's experiements with Saul Williams and Ghosts are much more realistic. But it still isn't going to make a huge impact on the music industry in the long term.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Comfis wrote:
    As most of you know, Radiohead decided to give fans the chance to pay how much they like for their last album In Rainbows.

Other artists like Madonna, Jay Z, Lily Allen agreed or disagreed with the Radiohead idea.

What is your opinion? is it good for the music, for fans, for the music industry?

I probably would not have bought it otherwise, and I am glad I did.

It is not something many artists can afford to do, but good on them for trying it out.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • ringo_l17ringo_l17 Posts: 62
    I think part of the idea was to challenge people’s perception of the value of music.

Kids genuinely believe that recorded music is free.

I agree that there was a lot of clever marketing involved, but at least the release opened a debate.
    You've had a hard time? I've been here five years, they only hung me the right way up yesterday.
  • I think Trent Reznor's method with Ghosts was far better, it gave options to pretty much everyone, from those who wanted to spend nothing, to those who wanted a limited edition physical copy.

That was pretty much what Radiohead did do, though. When it was first released via their website, you could pay nothing (or something if you felt generous) for a download, or spend $40 (I think) on a limited edition diskbox version which included 2 CDs inc. extra tracks, plus artwork and a book, plus the whole thing on vinyl as well.

Then later they marketed it as a CD in the shops in the normal way at the normal price to satisfy the demand from those members of Joe Public who weren't internet types.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    That was pretty much what Radiohead did do, though. When it was first released via their website, you could pay nothing (or something if you felt generous) for a download, or spend $40 (I think) on a limited edition diskbox version which included 2 CDs inc. extra tracks, plus artwork and a book, plus the whole thing on vinyl as well.
    But Trent did it slightly differently. The free version only came with a few of the songs, so people had to pay to get the full album. Also he offered a wider range of goods, right up to the obscenely expensive super duper editions (there's always going to be some mega fans determined to pay loads for a tiny bit extra, so may as well take the opportunity).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I think it just put pressure on unsigned musicians to give the music that they spent a small fortune recording, mastering, printing and distributing themselves, away for next to nothing, "because music is free nowadays". It didn't just hurt The Man. It hurt everyone.
    I don't think anyone expects people like you to give your music away for free. Radiohead did it because they can afford to but they didn't do it for anyone else. Everyone seems to think that they were trying to set some new standard of distribution methods. I'll always support the guy paying for his recording and printing himself. As a matter of fact, I either owe you some money or several pints for your album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    A lot of people point to the Radiohead model as the future, but Radiohead is only dipping its toe into the future to test the waters. What at first seemed like a rainbow-colored revolution has now been openly revealed as a marketing gimmick: Radiohead was "experimenting," releasing a low-quality MP3 version of an album only to punish the fans who paid for it by later releasing a full-quality CD version with extra tracks. According to Radiohead's manager: "If we didn't believe that when people hear the music they will want to buy the CD then we wouldn't do what we are doing." Ouch. Radiohead was moving in the right direction, but if they really want to start a revolution, they need to place the "pay-what-you-want" digital album on the same content and quality level as the "pay-what-we-want" physical album.
    What the fuck is this world?

Then later they marketed it as a CD in the shops in the normal way at the normal price to satisfy the demand from those members of Joe Public who weren't internet types.

With the NIN one, you could get a 'sampler' for free (about a disk worth of music) or the whole thing for about $5 in good quality. There were other options as well for higher bitrates, and vinyl options I think.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    How they initially released In Rainbows was not inspired by marketing. It wasn't done for the purpose of driving sales.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Yes, I do. As a fan, it was exciting to be part of a collective experiencing something so highly-anticipated, and the fact that the product itself was so good made me personally very happy.

I'm a very critical shopper in my daily life, but every time I open up that disc box, I feel good about participating in this clever marketing idea. They gambled on our loyalty, and I think it paid off.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't think anyone expects people like you to give your music away for free.

Ah, but there are one or two rich prats with indulgent parents, making music out there and harping on about how music should be free, because they're on their gap year and haven't any overheads. I know. I've met them. They usually wear Radiohead t-shirts. ;)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Ah, but there are one or two rich prats with indulgent parents, making music out there and harping on about how music should be free, because they're on their gap year and haven't any overheads. I know. I've met them. They usually wear Radiohead t-shirts. ;)
    :D I kwow what you mean.

Admittedly I am perfectly fine with giving my music away for free but that's only as long as it isn't costing me anything to make. I'm perfectly happy with making lo-fidelity music and can handle the cost of some CD-Rs. Any kind of more professional venture is going to involve the cunts who've been handed it for free making some hefty donations :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834

Yeah but the NIN album was a better quality download than In Rainbows - you got the same bit rate if you paid zero as you did if you paid up to £100 (or whatever they capped it at).
    dirt wrote:
    How they initially released In Rainbows was not inspired by marketing. It wasn't done for the purpose of driving sales.

It was still good marketing for them though ;)
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Better marketing than the material itself
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    They made tons of money and got a lot of media attention from it. They will now always be remembered as the first band to do this. Therefore, it was brilliant.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • if someone offers me the option of "buying" their music for nothing, i'm taking it.

thats how i roll!!!
  • it worked didnt it.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • the music industry is changing, regardless of if you or anyone else agrees with it. Radiohead's In Rainbows was inevitable. When 58 percent of all music consumed in the US is downloaded for free, you know the industry has changed.

Its clear it worked out for them too. It wasnt a flop, in fact many have argued they made more on this record than they would have made had they signed to a label.

Most people download music now. Its a fact, and no matter how much lars ulrich or whoever wants to disown that fact, its a fact. Most people dont go to the cd store. its too expensive. No amount of "is it fair or not fair" is going to change that. Its a situation. And the dam has been broken. No one, no band, no company is going to shut it down or stop it. People download and will continue to do so, even if the ridiculous lawsuits from RIAA continue (remember the woman fined 1,000 for each song she downloaded, 22 songs in all?).

Radiohead have always been experimental, genrebusting and hearing the beat of their own drummer. Their decision to do this was just another example.

The question isnt whether it was successful, the question is, who is their right mind remains on majors and doesnt do something along the lines of radiohead now? The bands will follow radioheads lead. Its just a matter of time.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    the music industry is changing, regardless of if you or anyone else agrees with it. Radiohead's In Rainbows was inevitable. When 58 percent of all music consumed in the US is downloaded for free, you know the industry has changed.

Radiohead have always been experimental, genrebusting and hearing the beat of their own drummer. Their decision to do this was just another example.

The question isnt whether it was successful, the question is, who is their right mind remains on majors and doesnt do something along the lines of radiohead now? The bands will follow radioheads lead. Its just a matter of time.

Indeed. All this talk about how, although Radiohead could do this, most other bands, especially bands still developing their fanbase, still need the infrastructure being on a major label provides. This may be true, and the music industry will not change overnight, but there is no doubt that the easy access of music over the Internet has changed the way music can be distributed and sold irrevocably. And although Radiohead's method may not be the best, tidiest, or most often used model in the future, they were one of the first bands, and certainly the first band with their stature, to make such a definitive break from the major label industry and release their album on their own terms. In almost every way the album could be viewed as a success, it was. It was critically accalimed, they made far more money than they would have had they released it on a major label, and they will be credited with being a vital part, if not the spearhead, of the gradual collapse of major labels as we understand them today.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    They made tons of money and got a lot of media attention from it. They will now always be remembered as the first band to do this. Therefore, it was brilliant.
    They sure did and they probably turned a lot of casual fans into die-hard fans. I'm one of them. After I.R. came out they went from being a band I listen to here and there, to being my second favorite only behind PJ.

This past fall and winter, I basically listened to them more than any band.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009