Options

How 'bout some fucking love for BOB MOULD??

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
edited November 2008 in Other Music
I never hear him mentioned here. IMHO, he's an awesome talent, whether with Huusker Du, Sugar or solo. I never get tired of the guy. He'd be perfect to open for PJ. Give Bob a little love! :D
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    it seems when PJ tries to give some love to their predecesors and make them openers (Buzzcocks and Sonic Youth come to mind) ... no one gives two shits about them as openers, which is a shame.

I'd love to see Bob Mould in any of his incarnations.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I do love Sugar. File Under Easy Listening is still in heavy rotation around my house and a MUST for me on road trips. I think that disc about 15 years old.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    :)

I have seen Bob Mould live more than anybody. I feel comfortable stating there isn't a BIGGER Bob Mould fan on this board.
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I've only seen Bob once, but it was a hella good show. Usually artists turn their backs on past projects when going solo (*cough*Paul Weller*cough*), but it was an absolutely even mix of Husker Du, Sugar and solo stuff. Was a nice surprise.

My favourite Husker Du song is You Can Live At Home :)
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    :)

I feel comfortable stating there isn't a BIGGER Bob Mould fan on this board.

You are THE MAN!!!!!! :D:D

I mean, Black Sheets of Rain, Warehouse, Workbook, District Line, Candy Apple Grey, Copper Blue, File Under, etc, etc, etc. - they're ALL fucking brilliant. Just like PJ, I can listen to Mould over and over again. :p

Saw Husker Du in the mid-80s, but have never had the opportunity to see Bob :(.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    is he related to Eric Mould? ;)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Saw Husker Du in the mid-80s, but have never had the opportunity to see Bob :(.
    I would probably trade all my Bob shows for your Husker Du...maybe.

Random musings:

1. The Slim (live) as played on Besides is the single most passionate vocal I have ever heard. Anyone that has heard it probably knows the part I am speaking of here.

2. There no sexier opening riff than Gift off File Under Easy Listening.

3. Too Far Down is my favorite song in the world. He played this acoustic the last time I saw him and I froze solid.

4. Brazilia Crossed with Trenton would make a Mould believer out of anybody.

5. First time I saw him live, he came out with an acoustic in one hand and a folding chair in the other. He set it up center stage, plopped down without a single word kicked into Wishing Well.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    I would probably trade all my Bob shows for your Husker Du...maybe.

Probably 1986, at the UNLV Student Union. I wanted to hear "Sorry, Somehow" but if they did it, I couldn't tell you. 90 minutes of noise! Afterwards, the 3 guys jumped into their Econoline (MN plates) and headed to the next gig. :D
    transplant wrote:
    Random musings:

1. The Slim (live) as played on Besides is the single most passionate vocal I have ever heard. Anyone that has heard it probably knows the part I am speaking of here.

2. There no sexier opening riff than Gift off File Under Easy Listening.

3. Too Far Down is my favorite song in the world. He played this acoustic the last time I saw him and I froze solid.

OK, Guru - I'm getting all three from itunes!
    transplant wrote:
    4. Brazilia Crossed with Trenton would make a Mould believer out of anybody.

A-fucking-men!
    transplant wrote:
    5. First time I saw him live, he came out with an acoustic in one hand and a folding chair in the other. He set it up center stage, plopped down without a single word kicked into Wishing Well.

That must have been awesome! :eek:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    Hearing that song live would make me down a bottle of vodka and then overdose on paracetamol! It's a great song, but music doesn't get any more depressing than that.

Oh, I have a boring annecdote about Husker Du!!!
    I had an argument with a friend in freshers year of uni, and a few days later I just happened to listen to Never Talking To You Again... which popped up on my "now listening to" bit on MSN. My friend thought that was a direct insult to her and we never spoke again. Good times.
    Paul
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Probably 1986, at the UNLV Student Union. I wanted to hear "Sorry, Somehow" but if they did it, I couldn't tell you. 90 minutes of noise! Afterwards, the 3 guys jumped into their Econoline (MN plates) and headed to the next gig. :D
    Sorry Somehow is my ringtone :D

imalive wrote:
    OK, Guru - I'm getting all three from itunes!
    well, if you can't find 'em on iTunes, you may remember where you can get them :)
  • Options
    fowls wrote:
    Hearing that song live would make me down a bottle of vodka and then overdose on paracetamol! It's a great song, but music doesn't get any more depressing than that.

Oh, I have a boring annecdote about Husker Du!!!
    I had an argument with a friend in freshers year of uni, and a few days later I just happened to listen to Never Talking To You Again... which popped up on my "now listening to" bit on MSN. My friend thought that was a direct insult to her and we never spoke again. Good times.
    It actually disturbs me a bit that it is my favorite tune. It doesn't get more depressing for sure.

hey, no such thing as a boring Husker Du annecdote.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    It actually disturbs me a bit that it is my favorite tune. It doesn't get more depressing for sure.
    Yeah, I've made a personal promise to myself that if I ever find myself relating to that song I'll seek professional help. :p
    Paul
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    transplant wrote:

too far down is beyond great but i have to be very careful around that song. it's like nin's something i can never have. i have to have 2 or 3 happy, fun songs queued after that or i risk slipping back into that headspace. for a long fucking time. the slim was my least favorite song from copper blue until besides, then it was like, how did i miss that? for angry bob at his best, though, i'll take a live poison years any day.

it's funny you mention those 2 in particular, though. the last time i saw him in rochester when he was touring solo acoustic he was outside having a cigarette during the opener so i shot the shit with him for a minute. he asked "got a song you were hoping for?" when i said the slim he kinda grimaced and hesitated and said "i haven't really been playing that on this tour..." and kinda let it hang there, never finishing the thought. so, taking the hint, i took another shot. too far down? no hesitation this time. "never again. no. sorry. not a fan of the happier stuff, are ya?" happy... hmm... is there maybe more than one singer named bob mould? i got a big laugh and a handhsake for that, but neither song.

he has performed too far down again since then. but if the slim's been on a setlist since the sugar days, i haven't heard about it.

and the living end is my favorite live album ever. and eight miles high is in the running for favorite cover. and don't even get me started on celebrated summer, divide and conquer, skintrade, tilted or sacrifice/let there be peace.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I do love Sugar. File Under Easy Listening is still in heavy rotation around my house and a MUST for me on road trips. I think that disc about 15 years old.

Yep, that's a good one right there. Probably my favorite.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Big Husker Du fan. Never got into Sugar or Bob's solo stuff so much because I was always a fan of the punkier side.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    spnoone wrote:

it's funny you mention those 2 in particular, though. the last time i saw him in rochester when he was touring solo acoustic he was outside having a cigarette during the opener so i shot the shit with him for a minute. he asked "got a song you were hoping for?" when i said the slim he kinda grimaced and hesitated and said "i haven't really been playing that on this tour..." and kinda let it hang there, never finishing the thought. so, taking the hint, i took another shot. too far down? no hesitation this time. "never again. no. sorry. not a fan of the happier stuff, are ya?" happy... hmm... is there maybe more than one singer named bob mould? i got a big laugh and a handhsake for that, but neither song.

and eight miles high is in the running for favorite cover.

Great story!!!! Just watched 8 Miles High on youtube. OMG!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqyCwAeT3I
    transplant wrote:
    well, if you can't find 'em on iTunes, you may remember where you can get them :)

Trying to PM you - your mailbox seems to be full :(.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    imalive wrote:
    Great story!!!! Just watched 8 Miles High on youtube. OMG!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqyCwAeT3I

Trying to PM you - your mailbox seems to be full :(.
    Probably the best video on youtube. I've watched that about 200 times. When his voice starts cracking from the emotion, WOW.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Count me in, he's done a shit load of decent work.
  • Options
    If we can get one more on board, that'll be 10 fans! :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    spnoone wrote:
    too far down is beyond great but i have to be very careful around that song. it's like nin's something i can never have. i have to have 2 or 3 happy, fun songs queued after that or i risk slipping back into that headspace. for a long fucking time.
    I am a little more fortunate. I just sit there motionless for about 15 minutes afterwards and then I am good again.
    spnoone wrote:
    and the living end is my favorite live album ever. and eight miles high is in the running for favorite cover. and don't even get me started on celebrated summer, divide and conquer, skintrade, tilted or sacrifice/let there be peace.
    Living End is such a total buzzsaw. I won't get ya started, shit, those are EASILY some of my favorite tracks. I may take off skintrade though and toss in New #1. Tilted...man that song just hits it.

I just listened to Black Sheets over the weekend. I think my favorite Mould guitar song is Stop You're Crying. Love the solo on that one. Sacrifice/Let There be Peace vocally is so strong...

I also hope to see another full band performance so I can hear him rip into Underneath Days.
  • Options
    I caught onto Sugar around Copper Blue and started checking out Husker Du and his solo stuff.

File Under Easy Listening and Copper Blue are still my two favorites. I have a special edition of CB with a second CD with "the extended works of Bob Mould" or something like that. Then about two years ago I found File Under... on vinyl, unopened, for $2.99. It was destiny.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    spnoone wrote:
    for angry bob at his best, though, i'll take a live poison years any day.

transplant (aka salt-of-the-earth) just sent that to me. Angry? Ya think? :D
    spnoone wrote:

transplant also sent me 8 miles high. I had a smile on my face the whole way thru! :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    HUSKER DU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am old enough to have seen them live. :p
    I am a huge fan and always say that Warehouse would be my desert island disc and I can't stand answering those desert island questions.
    Bob is an amazing talent. :eek:
    No band ever came close to Husker Du for me.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I loved sugar
    copper blue is one of the best sounding records

saw them twice, not bad, not great either though

a good idea is a tremendous piece of music
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    transplant also sent me 8 miles high. I had a smile on my face the whole way thru! :D
    shit, wait until you get the next one. :)
  • Options
    shameless bump.

I've been drinking tonight and, goddamn, Mould sounds good! :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Any time I need a boost, I put in Zen Arcade. That album is like speed for me.
  • Options
    Husker Du rules. So does Bob Mould. I just listened to Copper Blue the other day. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    oh, hell yea. gotta love the man. and it helps that husker is from MPLS. but yea, an all around good musician
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    shameless bump.

I've been drinking tonight and, goddamn, Mould sounds good! :D
    do you have the Circle of Friends DVD? I very rarely listen to DVD's however I just noticed the tracklist yesterday. I think I have to purchase that.

Drinking sounds good. I am going for Paralyzed. Maybe Where Diamonds Are Halos thrown in for good measure.