Best girl group ever?

Comments

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Heart hands down IMO.

... but Veruca Salt would be my 2nd choice.

First band that came to mind was Veruca Salt. "American Thighs" is an amazing record.

I'll go
    1. Veruca Salt
    2. Heart (they would be 1 but lose some points for being a product of the cheesy 80's glam period)
    3. Go Go's
    4. L7
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    i really like Ladytron and Tilly & The Wall for some reason (not normally the kind of stuff i listen to).....not rock-bands as such, but worth a look.

overall vote goes to L7 or The Pretenders
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The Pretenders
    Go-Go's
    Bangles
    Heart
    Runaway's
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    g under p wrote:
    That's funny. :D

Blondie

Till Tuesday

The Pretenders...*Chrissie Hynde

Joan Jett and the Black Hearts

Totally Love *HEART*

Peace

there you go nice list

patti smith in there somewhere even though Im not a huge fan
  • imalive wrote:
    Too funny! How is it I'd never heard of them (until now)?
    I dunno...

but you're welcome ;)
  • The best probably have been mentioned already but some worth mentioning or otherwise bad ass bands include

Drain Sth
    They were Swedish, damn hot and played grunge/metal
    http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/73/14/54/62/0073145462622_500X500.jpg

Rockbitch
    I never saw them perform, but they were something alright. A quote from one fan site
    "At some point in the evening during each show, they throw a golden condom into the crowd and whoever catches it literally gets to fuck one of the band members on stage! And even more recently, they've started throwing I believe a platinum condom into the crowd and the lucky ducky who holds onto that one gets to FUCK ALL OF THE BAND MEMBERS IN A HUGE DEBAUCHEROUS ORGY BACKSTAGE AFTER THE SHOW."

Wiki:Rockbitch was an expat British mostly-female Celtic punk/metal/goth band, best known for performing nude and incorporating sexual acts and Pagan rituals into their performances.

Edit:
    A clean clip and ok song so might as well post it
    http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_13618_Rockbitch_Tic_Toc.htm
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Donnas are also a pretty decent band.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Rockbitch
    I never saw them perform, but they were something alright. A quote from one fan site
    "At some point in the evening during each show, they throw a golden condom into the crowd and whoever catches it literally gets to fuck one of the band members on stage! And even more recently, they've started throwing I believe a platinum condom into the crowd and the lucky ducky who holds onto that one gets to FUCK ALL OF THE BAND MEMBERS IN A HUGE DEBAUCHEROUS ORGY BACKSTAGE AFTER THE SHOW."

I was kinda thinking "best" in a musical sense :D!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The best probably have been mentioned already but some worth mentioning or otherwise bad ass bands include

Drain Sth
    They were Swedish, damn hot and played grunge/metal
    http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/73/14/54/62/0073145462622_500X500.jpg

Rockbitch

Wiki:Rockbitch was an expat British mostly-female Celtic punk/metal/goth band, best known for performing nude and incorporating sexual acts and Pagan rituals into their performances.

Edit:
    A clean clip and ok song so might as well post it
    http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_13618_Rockbitch_Tic_Toc.htm
    I really gotta look into becoming a Swedish citizen, srsly...
  • One member of Drain Sth eventually married Tony Iommi. The band was heavily influenced by AIC, so even with ok songs there just was no way to escape the poor woman's AIC label. With some originality who knows?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIVBdW1LHKM

And to imalive: Yes i know and i'm sorry :D
    It's just like it would be hard to include Sex Pistols to the best bands of all time top5 but as a band who were able to raise some eyebrows top5 they're pretty high. With female bands it doesn't take that much to raise the brows, therefore Rockbitch deserves to be mentioned.
  • antigone rising http://youtube.com/watch?v=7brcBuoC8DY

as far as my favorite female fronted band, cowboy junkies. margo timmins has the greatest voice i've ever heard. i get chills when i hear her sing.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • SLEATER KINNEY
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I forgot ....

The Spazzys
    Nitocris
    Tiddas
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    One member of Drain Sth eventually married Tony Iommi. The band was heavily influenced by AIC, so even with ok songs there just was no way to escape the poor woman's AIC label. With some originality who knows?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIVBdW1LHKM

And to imalive: Yes i know and i'm sorry :D
    It's just like it would be hard to include Sex Pistols to the best bands of all time top5 but as a band who were able to raise some eyebrows top5 they're pretty high. With female bands it doesn't take that much to raise the brows, therefore Rockbitch deserves to be mentioned.
    Is there a female rocker that Tommy Iommi didn't marry???? :rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    tybird wrote:
    The Donnas are also a pretty decent band.

Yeah, The Donnas get my vote. Heart before they had the big hits (yes, I did say hits). Hot music chicks would include Clare Grogan (Altered Images), Sarah Cracknell (Saint Etienne), Sussana Hoffs and S.O.M.F Stevie Nicks!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    the donnas
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I really gotta look into becoming a Swedish citizen, srsly...

seriously.
    like, SERIOUSLY, W-H-A-T, T-H-E, F-U-C-K

I'm NOT gonna even post this link,
    all i will say is,
    google "rockbitch favorite band"
    and click the link?

WHAT THE FUCK?

??
    :eek:
    ??
    ??
    ??
    ??

FOUR FINGERS!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    My faves are The Runaways, 7- Year Bitch, Sleater Kinney, Sahara Hotnights , The Lunachicks. and The Donnas.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • The Cake (1966-1968)
  • belly fucking ruled.
    I like bands.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I listen to plenty of female musicians, but for some reason I don't seem to have many female-lead bands in my collection. The only one I can think of is The Breeders, and I'm really just a casual fan of that group. I also used to listen to Le Tigre quite a bit, but they don't really fit my mood anymore.
  • Veruca Salt.
    Just heard Quarterflash. :p

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Hole was my first thought. The only all girl band I've seen live was The Like opening for Kings of Leon at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem in 2005 and they were pretty decent...not usually a big fan of female singers for whatever reason...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    L7
    4 NON BLONDES
    DONNAS
    BREEDERS

but I do wish The CRANBERRIES were a fuckin female band...'cos they would be the absolute winner;)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • If 50% female qualifies, then my vote currently goes to The Dresden Dolls, even though Tegan and Sara is up there.

I could name more but most have been mentioned many times over.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    The Supremes or The Ronettes
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.