Liam is not MY cup of tea

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
edited April 2008 in Other Music
While I do respect his talent and passion, I can't really say I'm rushing out to pick up anything by Liam Finn (after seeing him with Eddie). I respect most musicians and certainly respect Liam, but his music didn't do much for me.

The best part was when his drumstick bounced away from him and smacked Eliza upside the head :p. I don't mean to start a negative thread but I had to get this off my chest. I'm sure Ed wouldn't like some of my faves, either....

Anyone else not quite ready to annoit Liam as "the next big thing?"
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    imalive wrote:

who on earth thinks Liam Finn is the next big thing anyway???
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    who on earth thinks Liam Finn is the next big thing anyway???

theres nothing BIG about him. i still say hes missing in the shire!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    He relied to heavily on his looping gimmick. What ever happened to having a real rock n' roll band. He had some decent tunes and was a decent player though..but every time he wanted to rock out I'm thinking.."you know, that would be easier, and better, with a band."
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    Igottago wrote:
    He relied to heavily on his looping gimmick. What ever happened to having a real rock n' roll band. He had some decent tunes and was a decent player though..but every time he wanted to rock out I'm thinking.."you know, that would be easier, and better, with a band."

Bands cost mo' money. Mo' money, yo'. :)
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    He's way back in my list of PJ affiliate and associate bands/artists...so it won't be another few years before I'll give him a time of day. ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    Igottago wrote:

I kinda think that's why he "didn't do it" for me. I was wondering how much was talent and how much was gimmicry. More talent than me, for sure, but still.....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    imalive wrote:
    While I do respect his talent and passion, I can't really say I'm rushing out to pick up anything by Liam Finn (after seeing him with Eddie). I respect most musicians and certainly respect Liam, but his music didn't do much for me.

The best part was when his drumstick bounced away from him and smacked Eliza upside the head :p. I don't mean to start a negative thread but I had to get this off my chest. I'm sure Ed wouldn't like some of my faves, either....

Well said! I feel the exact same way. I respect what he's trying to do but it's just not for me.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    anything, but the same old song and dance. please.

if the dude offers something different and unique then i am all ears...anyone can pick up a band and rock out...

i haven't seen him yet, but have tickets in hand. $10. worth the risk.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Greatly enjoyed Liam Finn and will be glad to see him when he hits Philly.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Wow. I was blown away by Liam's performance. Not only did it make me want to go out and get his album, but I am going to see him again next week. In terms of the looping, I have seen other local artists try it before and fail miserably at it. It isn't necessarily an easy thing to pull off, and I thought Liam did it quite well. He's a really talented guy. As for who has said he's the next big thing, Rolling Stone listed him as an artist to watch this year. I can't imagine him having mainstream appeal, but I can see him getting a steady following.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I can say with no doubt, Liam Finn is my favorite new artist in 3 or 4 years. Yeah, so a band would be easier. Better? Who knows. Keller Williams has found success in this for several years now. I made sure I was in the building to see him 6 times on the EV tour and I have played the hell out of the album. I know you don't know me, but that is a real rarity.
    tacos