Nirvana's 'Polly'

LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Always been a fan of this song, and I've always known it was a sarcastic song about rape. Today I got back into the song, for some reason it was stuck in my head. So I looked up the lyrics on songmeanings.net and read some of the posted meanings.

I never knew the song was written about an actual rape that took place in Washington state. Apparently this girl "Polly" was on her way home from a concert and was kidnapped, raped, and tortured for a long time. She some how gained the trust of her assailant and was able to escape.

Kurt heard about it and wrote 'Polly'. Then I guess around the time before Kurt's suicide two men raped a girl while listening to 'Polly'. Kurt supposedly heard about this and got really pissed off because his supposed "fans" weren't getting the message of his music.

Then I thought. I really don't see where in this song the "sarcasm" is. I always just figured it was written by Kurt to be sarcastic without ever looking into why. I'm probably misinterpreting something in the lyrics somewhere, but honestly, I don't get which part of this song says "this is a pro-woman song and you should know that".

I was wondering if anyone could clear up any of this. The actual story behind the song. The story behind the other rape in which the people involved had the song playing while committing the crime.. and the part of the song that should lead people to believe it's not a pro-rape song.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    its the whole song that points out it is an anti rape song. but i think tis more about the resolve of the victim. are you not hearing the words as you listen to the song? this guy has abducted 'polly'. he doesnt expect her to fight back the way she does, what rapist does when his crime is all about power? but that is exactly what she does do. and how does she 'fight back'? not through brute strength cause she'd probably lose that way. she uses her brains.

polly says her back hurts/she's just as bored as me/she caught me off my guard/ it amazes me the will of instinct

the will to survive. and to survive 'polly' will do everything she needs to do. and if that includes not resisting, then so be it. she fights back by not fighting back. by engaging him in the act that he is using to defile her with.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • GUILTY VERDICT IN RAPE CASE
    Seattle Post-Intelligencer
    August 19, 1987
    Author: The Associated Press

Gerald Arthur Friend was convicted yesterday in Pierce County Superior Court of the kidnapping and torture-rape of a 14-year-old girl.

Prosecutor Tom Stratton said he would recommend an exceptionally long sentence for Friend, 49 (age), who was convicted in a similar attack 27 years ago. In the latest case, Friend was charged with first-degree kidnapping and first-degree rape in the attack that occurred over several hours late June 5 and early June 6.

Officials said the victim was a runaway who accepted a ride from Friend near the Tacoma Dome after she attended a rock concert in the area. When the girl tried to get out of the car, authorities said, she was handcuffed and abducted at knife-point to Friend's mobile home.

The victim testified last week that Friend tortured and repeatedly raped her with several objects in his mobile home. She said he blindfolded her and ran a propane torch close to her skin. She eventually escaped.

Copyright (c) 1987, Seattle Post-Intelligencer. All rights reserved.
    Record Number: 8701220169