Seeger Sessions / Live in Dublin (The BOSS)

LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
edited February 2008 in Other Music
When Bruce released this album, and the live album to follow, I didn't pay any attention to them. I wasn't much into the Boss at the time (I was heavy into Bruce early in my life, and now again). Anyway, I was out drinking at a local bar with a bunch of friends last night, in fact the whole bar was friends. Most of them in LOVE with Bruce. I, not being a huge fan, but still appreciating everything he's done, didn't hear any of these songs until last night.

I spent all day listening to this album, and I must say, it's quite awesome. Sure, maybe it's because 20 people were singing and dancing like nuts to every song (and I knew a lot because a lot are covers), but man, is this a hugely underrated album or is it me?

Every song has something special, maybe it's Bruce or maybe it's just the music and lyrics, but something is there!

Discuss!
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah, I love the live in dublin set. I'm hoping after this estreet tour he goes back to doing creative stuff like this. With the sessions band, solo or, you know, if he recorded an album with Pearl Jam ala Neil Young that'd be ok too.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    only song i have off of that album is "Blinded By The Light". a very killer version. i, myself, didn't think too much of the album being a huge Bruce fan but i respect it's inclusion in the Springsteen cataloge. i dig about half of the songs on the Seeger Sessions record but i wouldn't list it among his greatest. dig?
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    It's funny, I got this album for Christmas and wasn't that excited about it. I had put it in my amazon wishlist and my mom bought it for me. I put it on my ipod when I first got it and "This Little Light of Mine" came on one day on shuffle. I thought, "This is a lame song to have on this album", but the version was pretty good.

This week I finally listened to the whole album over about 3 days of driving to and from work. I fucking love it!!!! It is soo good! I love the re-working of the older songs (Atlantic City, Further on Down the Road, etc.). I am a fan of the Seeger Sessions so I also liked those songs live. I wish I would have seen him on this tour now. Side note: another cool thing was listening to it on Tuesday which was Mardi Gras and I grew up in New Orleans. It was cool to hear "When the Saints Go Marching In" that day and all the jazz-type music.

After listening to it, I thought of making a thread about it to see if other people dug it like I did but didn't get around to it. It's cool to see other people enjoy it as well.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    I don't have the live album, but I got the album on vinyl. It is pure American music. I play it loud as hell on warm afternoons, grill out, and drink beer. Many of the songs kind of remind me of the foot stompers on Love and Theft. They have that old fashioned feel to them.
    I had downloaded the album on ruckus about a year ago, kind of on a whim and was totally blown away. It was pretty much the first Springsteen album I listened to. Dont worry, I have indulged myself plenty in the past year.
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    only song i have off of that album is "Blinded By The Light". a very killer version. i, myself, didn't think too much of the album being a huge Bruce fan but i respect it's inclusion in the Springsteen cataloge. i dig about half of the songs on the Seeger Sessions record but i wouldn't list it among his greatest. dig?

I didn't know Blinded by the Light was on the live album. You should check out the studio one because it is all covers of classic american folk songs kicked up a notch. Blinded by the light doesn't really fit that pattern.
  • 'How Can a Poor Man Such Times and Live' is such a beautiful song. THe first verse is the same but he re-wrote the rest for New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
    Well, the doctor comes 'round here with his face all bright
    And he says, "In a little while you'll be all right"
    All he gives is a humbug pill, a dose of dope and a great big bill
    Tell me, how can a poor man stand such times and live?

He says, "Me and my old school pals had some mighty high times 'round here
    And what happened to you poor black folks, well it just ain't fair"
    He took a look around, gave a little pep talk, said, "I'm with you" then he took a little walk

There's bodies floatin' on Canal Street and the levees gone to hell
    Martha, get me my sixteen gauge and some dry shells
    Them who's got got out of town
    And them who ain't got left to drown

I got family scattered from Texas all the way to Baltimore
    And I ain't got no home in this world no more
    Gonna be a judgment that's a fact, a righteous train rollin' down this track

Such beautiful lyrics. Honestly, after re-listening to most of Bruce's catalog in the passed few weeks I've come to realize that he is one of my favorite song writers. Lennon, Dylan, Vedder, Springsteen, in no particular order. Just my opinion :D
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • I have the studio album and the live album and they are fantastic. The songs are great and full energy. I also love to sit on my deck, grill and toss back some beers. O mary dont you weep is my favorite track.

I was never really into Bruce until that album...but now im hooked.
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
    whulmef wrote:
    I didn't know Blinded by the Light was on the live album. You should check out the studio one because it is all covers of classic american folk songs kicked up a notch. Blinded by the light doesn't really fit that pattern.
    i bought the Seeger Sessions record the day it came out, myman. i love Old Dan Tucker, O Mary, Mrs. McGrath, Erie Canal, Eyes on The Prize, How Can A Poor Man, Bring 'Em Home, Pay Me My Money Down. the rest i can do w/out.
    'How Can a Poor Man Such Times and Live' is such a beautiful song. THe first verse is the same but he re-wrote the rest for New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Such beautiful lyrics. Honestly, after re-listening to most of Bruce's catalog in the passed few weeks I've come to realize that he is one of my favorite song writers. Lennon, Dylan, Vedder, Springsteen, in no particular order. Just my opinion :D
    glad you came around. i got into the Boss when i was 17 (that's almost 11 years ago) with "Thunder Road" and i haven't looked back. yes, he's right up there with Dylan, Lennon, Vedder and Tom Waits.