The thing I can't figure out about Metallica...

vedderoffdeadvedderoffdead Posts: 684
edited July 2008 in Other Music
How is it that when they cover another artist they suddenly sound like...Metallica again!!?? I just don't get it. The best and most consistent stuff they've done in the past 15 years has been their covers IMO. "Stone cold crazy", "Whiskey in the jar", "Overkill", "So what", "Die, die my darling", etc. That shit just plain kicks ass.Rick Rubin even said something similar to them about how they should sound more like their covers do when they started working on their new album. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    well a lot of those covers on disc 2 of garage inc. were recorded pre-load. the ones one disc 1 sound a lot like their sound on load, which i think was their last great album of original songs. the only covers they've done post-load were 53rd & 3rd by the Ramones (which sucked) and this new Iron Maiden song that I haven't heard yet. So i don't think it's that they're doing covers, I think they just lost their creativity. Hopefully they've regained it on Death Magnetic.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Brain Of E wrote:
    well a lot of those covers on disc 2 of garage inc. were recorded pre-load. the ones one disc 1 sound a lot like their sound on load, which i think was their last great album of original songs. the only covers they've done post-load were 53rd & 3rd by the Ramones (which sucked) and this new Iron Maiden song that I haven't heard yet. So i don't think it's that they're doing covers, I think they just lost their creativity. Hopefully they've regained it on Death Magnetic.

I'm not talking about the early covers. I know about the Garage days E.P's. Disc 1 was recorded in 97/98. That's 10 years ago. That first disc is the best thing they've done since 'the Black album' IMO. Load was ok, but nothing compared to their early stuff. And it's been all downhill from there. Did they just put it on cruise control or what?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I'm not talking about the early covers. I know about the Garage days E.P's. Disc 1 was recorded in 97/98. That's 10 years ago. That first disc is the best thing they've done since 'the Black album' IMO. Load was ok, but nothing compared to their early stuff. And it's been all downhill from there. Did they just put it on cruise control or what?

S&M is the best thing they have done since Master of Puppets imo tbh, Master of Puppets being the best thing they have ever done period.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    yea, i think they did. there was a lot of in-fighting, alcoholism and no true creative process. if you saw the SKOM movie, the songs were just being made up as they went along. hopefully, they got their shit together for DM.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • S&M is the best thing they have done since Master of Puppets imo tbh, Master of Puppets being the best thing they have ever done period.:)
    I did think that S & M was a cool little experiment, and I liked those 2 new originals they did for the album. That's even coming up on 10 years ago though. That was recorded in April of '99. I really do hope they've gotten their shit together as well.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I did think that S & M was a cool little experiment, and I liked those 2 new originals they did for the album. That's even coming up on 10 years ago though. That was recorded in April of '99. I really do hope they've gotten their shit together as well.

Yeah I'm hoping this album is a lot better than the last.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Brain Of E wrote:
    the only covers they've done post-load were 53rd & 3rd by the Ramones (which sucked) and this new Iron Maiden song that I haven't heard yet.

They actually recorded several Ramones covers, but only one made it on the tribute album. The rest showed up on some St. Anger singles, although, for the most part, they are unimpressive. Their version of Commando smokes though. That is the one that should have been on We're A Happy Family.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    S&M is the best thing they have done since Master of Puppets imo tbh, Master of Puppets being the best thing they have ever done period.:)

100% agree with you there sonny
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007