"Smoke on the Water" still top riff

ClariceClarice Posts: 256
edited April 2008 in Other Music
What do you think?

LONDON (Reuters) - Deep Purple's 1973 hit "Smoke on the Water" is the greatest guitar riff of all time, according to a poll by a London music school that has taught members of top bands like Radiohead, The Kinks and The Cure.

The majority of the 25 songs selected by current students of the London Tech Music School, were recorded in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Only seven were recorded in the last 20 years.

"It was the iconic era for the electric guitar." head of the school's Guitar and Bass section John Wheatcroft told Reuters.

The most recent song selected was "7 Nation Army" recorded by American rock duo The White Stripes in 2003.

A list of the top songs chosen follows:

1. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple (1973)

2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991)

3. Walk This Way - Aerosmith (1975)

4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix (1967)

5. Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N' Roses (1987)

6. Paradise City - Guns N' Roses (1987)

7. Ace Of Spades - Motorhead (1980)

8. Enter Sandman - Metallica (1991)

9. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1992)

10. Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses (1987)

11. Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)

12. Walk - Pantera (1992)

13. Johnny Be Goode - Chuck Berry (1958)

14. Back In Black - AC/DC (1980)

15. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (1970)

16. Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine (1992)

18. My Generation - The Who (1965)

19. 7 Nation Army - The White Stripes (2003)

20. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf (1968)

21. Give It Away - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1991)

22. Paranoid - Black Sabbath (1970)

23. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix (1967)

24. Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor (1982)

25. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits (1984)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Aqualung, Iron Man, Innagaddadavida.. all missing..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Layla
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Interesting list, but a few comments:

-what was #17, that one seems to be missing???

-it's fine that they want to put a Tom Morello riff in the list, he's one of the best guitarists of my generation, but he's got better riffs than Wake Up. Even from that album (Freedom comes to mind)...

-I love the 2 RHCP songs on the list, but I take issue with their inclusion. Under the Bridge is a song that is melodic and nice, but I don't think it's a particularly strong riff. To me, Give It Away is driven more by the bass than anything else and without the bass that Frusciante riff would just be weird and not very good to listen to. Maybe it's just me for those two songs....

-Love the Johnny B Goode riff....props to them for including the great Chuck Berry
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    Only one Zep song? I call bullshit. I can name 5 of Page's riffs that are better than anything else on the list.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    some are boring

just have been killed by mtv, and just generally media
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    though I play guitar, I'm not completely up to date on all the terms surrounding music. but I"ve always considered a "riff" to be a lick of notes that may or may not be intermingled with chords, but not a rhythm passage of chords only. so by my definition, there are no "riffs" in Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", because it's all chords up to the solo. unless of course they're talking about the solo, but that would be "solo" and not a "riff".

"Smoke on the Water" is so highly regarded because anyone who's never touched a guitar can just picked up any guitar at any time and play it instantly. but imo, "Back in Back" is by far the greatest guitar riff of all time, followed in no certain order by "Layla" and the wah intro part of "Voodoo Chile". I think both the intro riffs to "Alive" and "Yellow Ledbetter" deserve to be on the list too. and the riff part of "Man in the Box", though I'm not completely sure if that's done with a wah, a voicebox, or both.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    lol three gn'r riffs in the top ten and no Zeppelin!!???

C'mon! :)
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • What do you think?

LONDON (Reuters) - Deep Purple's 1973 hit "Smoke on the Water" is the greatest guitar riff of all time, according to a poll by a London music school that has taught members of top bands like Radiohead, The Kinks and The Cure.

The majority of the 25 songs selected by current students of the London Tech Music School, were recorded in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Only seven were recorded in the last 20 years.

"It was the iconic era for the electric guitar." head of the school's Guitar and Bass section John Wheatcroft told Reuters.

The most recent song selected was "7 Nation Army" recorded by American rock duo The White Stripes in 2003.

A list of the top songs chosen follows:

1. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple (1973)

2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991)

3. Walk This Way - Aerosmith (1975)

4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix (1967)

5. Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N' Roses (1987)

6. Paradise City - Guns N' Roses (1987)

7. Ace Of Spades - Motorhead (1980)

8. Enter Sandman - Metallica (1991)

9. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1992)

10. Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses (1987)

11. Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)

12. Walk - Pantera (1992)

13. Johnny Be Goode - Chuck Berry (1958)

14. Back In Black - AC/DC (1980)

15. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (1970)

16. Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine (1992)

18. My Generation - The Who (1965)

19. 7 Nation Army - The White Stripes (2003)

20. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf (1968)

21. Give It Away - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1991)

22. Paranoid - Black Sabbath (1970)

23. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix (1967)

24. Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor (1982)

25. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits (1984)

Ill top smoke on the water, its funny same guitar player too, Man on the silver mountain From Ritchie Blackmore,s Rainbow.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • This whole list is bullshit. Most of these riffs arent the respective bands best.
    White stripes Ball and biscut
    Walk this way from Aerosmith is the funniest, try Sweet Emotion
    Zeppelin has a whole album full of detter riffs called physical graffitii
    Its funny what floats around.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Survivor .... really .... I mean .... really?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    Mojopin wrote:
    lol three gn'r riffs in the top ten and no Zeppelin!!???

C'mon! :)

Was the first thing i thought when i saw the list. Imigrant Song is less rated and where are Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love and others? I´m not expert in music, but agree about Laila as well as Sunshine of Love, by Cream too. And I think Sabbath has more than Paranoid. Voodoo Chili could be better rated, like My Generation and 7 National Army. But Zeppelin is fuck..
  • ComfisComfis Posts: 117
    heh great songs indeed, great riffs but i would disagree for many of thems. and Smoke in the water riff is maybe the most popular, but probably not the best!
    My choice for Radiohead News is InRadiobows.com
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    What's the riff in Paradise City? The intro? I wouldn't call that a riff.

And I agree with everyone else about the Zep choice. Immigrant song? Really? That's not even close to their best, even choosing from just the popular songs.

The list has some good picks, but it has way too many head-scratchers.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • From my experience (and no offence to anyone here), music teachers often have the most pedestrian taste in music imaginable.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    I am IRON MAN