Metallica - Some kind of monster

halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I've just seen the documentery "Some kind of monster" of Metallica.
I'm not a fan of them. But.
This movie moved me. They are real. They are HUMAN-S. Weak, pretending being macho - especially James, they have problems - alcoholism, they try to be a band, to find their frendship.
So many things.
One - Napster - I really agree with Lars about taking the music for free. When You watched the movie You can realized it's not only stealing music, it's stealing their sweat, their emotions, their battles in the band, their fights of controling of their lives, their times of being out of creativity.
I think it's great documentary. I've never seen anything like this before. And if any of Metallica's fans after watching this movie retreat from them, they should be ashamed of them!
This video approach me to this band.
Showing weakness is not bad. We only humans. But by big "H"
Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
halszka123@op.pl
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    halszka123 wrote:
    This movie moved me. They are real. They are HUMAN-S. Weak, pretending being macho - especially James, they have problems - alcoholism, they try to be a band, to find their frendship.
    So many things.
    One - Napster - I really agree with Lars about taking the music for free. When You watched the movie You can realized it's not only stealing music, it's stealing their sweat, their emotions, their battles in the band, their fights of controling of their lives, their times of being out of creativity.
    I think it's great documentary. I've never seen anything like this before. And if any of Metallica's fans after watching this movie retreat from them, they should be ashamed of them!

Its a great documentary but i dont know why you say they try to be "macho". I just think they are guys playing rock..
  • metal bands dont show weakness! they kill you with their bloody axes! bunch of wimps :)
  • My problem with the movie is they say the phrase "Some Kind Of Monster" about 7 billion times.
    They say I'm rappin like BIG, jay, and tupac
    Andre 3000 where is eryka badu at
    Who dat
    Who dat said dey gon beat lil wayne
    My name ain't Bic but I keep dat flame man

2008 CHICAGO CUBS MAGIC NUMBER = 62

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Its a great documentary but i dont know why you say they try to be "macho". I just think they are guys playing rock..
    Lars said that James tried to pretend to be a macho. Probably he thought fans wanted him to be their hero, thar's all...
    And one more interesting thing - they don't have a solid bass player. Hmm. PJ had problems with a drummer.I know it doesn't mean anything. It's just a notice
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    This movie made me feel sorry for Kirk, having to deal with those two giant assholes, James and Lars
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    This movie made me feel sorry for Kirk, having to deal with those two giant assholes, James and Lars

no shit....although with james at least we know it's alcoholism.....lars is just a asshole ;):)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    halszka123 wrote:
    Kind of makes up for them stealing their fans' money and time over the last 20 years and serving up slices of mediocrity once every 5 years in return, no?

When a band hasn't made a good album since 1989, they kind of lose the right to pull the "they're stealing our sweat and hard work" card.

I felt a little sheepish a few weeks back when talking to the guitarist of the 80s punk band Reagan Youth online, knowing he was checking out my music catalogue on rateyourmusic.com, because I knew he'd see that I had one of his albums catalogued as digital and he knew I'd downloaded it. This is an ordinary guy, never made any money from his music but slogged his arse off making it for years until the band imploded. He told me it was FINE AND HE WOULD RATHER I STOLE IT THAN NOT HEAR IT :) I thought that was brilliant. The guy isn't a millionaire, unlike Metallica, could really use some royalties and he told me he was fine with it so long as I got to hear his music. That's what music is about.

Metallica need to grow up and get over themselves. The film was more a publicity stunt than anything else.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    halszka123 wrote:
    So many things.

I'd be embarrassed if Pearl Jam ever made a documentary like this where they whine and moan at each other like a bunch of babies
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    lars was hilarious in that film! at least he's always got a comedy career to fall back on should something happen to metallica
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    I liked Lars' dad in this movie.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    And reading this thread makes me want to view this all-time classic cartoon:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIuR5TNyL8Y
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    halszka123 wrote:
    So many things.

Yeah what a shitty life they lead.....Mega rich rock stars who are adored by millions.

If one of them have four kids and works three jobs then I might feel sorry
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051

That what I'm saying...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    cutback wrote:
    no shit....although with james at least we know it's alcoholism.....lars is just a asshole ;):)

...Ain't that the truth....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • I thought it was a very interesting and well done documentary, although, it has permanently altered my view of them. To have a band like Metallica constantly being followed by a guy with the largest collection of Cosby sweaters with his notes from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People posted everywhere made me think, "This is a metal band?" I highly doubt a band like Slayer takes a break exactly at 4:00 everyday to talk about their feelings.

As far as Lars and the Napster thing goes, I am not crying for him. When he's at the auction selling his collection of art and is getting millions of dollars it's kind of hard to be on his side when he's bitching about the money he is losing from some kid downloading his material.
  • someone needs to tell lars not to talk with such a large fucking wad of bubble gum in his mouth. seriously, i wanted to smack him in the back of the head everytime he was talking with gum in his mouth. so annoying.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I can't believe I made it through this whole movie one time. It was about 40 minutes too long.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I'd be embarrassed if Pearl Jam ever made a documentary like this where they whine and moan at each other like a bunch of babies

"Goddamit Ed, stop being such a dick about the e-bow!!!!"
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I thought it was a very interesting and well done documentary, although, it has permanently altered my view of them. To have a band like Metallica constantly being followed by a guy with the largest collection of Cosby sweaters with his notes from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People posted everywhere made me think, "This is a metal band?" I highly doubt a band like Slayer takes a break exactly at 4:00 everyday to talk about their feelings.

As far as Lars and the Napster thing goes, I am not crying for him. When he's at the auction selling his collection of art and is getting millions of dollars it's kind of hard to be on his side when he's bitching about the money he is losing from some kid downloading his material.
    It was really improper to watch Lars with he's all selling and buying art. And for me it almost was like Metallic's enemies made that movie - Napster and all the some-stupid-art-big-money-thing. And this break at 4.00.
    But, the break.. if this was a part of plan of James's rehab - it's ok.

Finally, I think we could see Metallica's members just as they are. Many people don't like it. But I do. Maybe it was good marketing's move, but I think it needed pretty lot of courage to show people that Metallica is not so sweet thing. And James, Lars and even Kirk with his standing outside of this fight (James and Lars) - they are just people. Sometimes like kids, sometimes losts. And sometimes sold out for money.
    With their flaws they are closer to me than before.

BTW. I agree with the one punk musician - it's better to steal than not to hear music. But... i don't have to live from making music:)
    halszka123@op.pl
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    I think it's great they had the balls to release something so honest. They gave the 2 filmmakers complete, 100% control over the film and had no say in the final edit whatsoever.

This opposed to a certain band making a 2+ hour movie in the South Pacific in 1995 then never releasing it and forbidding people to discuss it on their message board...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I think it's great they had the balls to release something so honest. They gave the 2 filmmakers complete, 100% control over the film and had no say in the final edit whatsoever.

This opposed to a certain band making a 2+ hour movie in the South Pacific in 1995 then never releasing it and forbidding people to discuss it on their message board...
    I'm surprised the movie saw the light of day too.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509

ditto.

why deal with their crap year after year? it has to get old real fast.

dave M. was and is better off without them. sure it hurt, but he received a huge gift when they threw him out.

it wasn't macho at all. bunch of whinny girls..........IMO.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Kind of makes up for them stealing their fans' money and time over the last 20 years and serving up slices of mediocrity once every 5 years in return, no?

When a band hasn't made a good album since 1989, they kind of lose the right to pull the "they're stealing our sweat and hard work" card.

Well first off thats your opinion. I liked Load and re-load but even still they didnt force anyone to buy it. Stealing is stealing no matter how much you try and justify it. You don't steal an apple because 'its a bit soft' and you dont steal music because your not sure if its any good. They worked for it so they deserve the cash no matter what YOUR opinion of the material is.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    Well first off thats your opinion. I liked Load and re-load but even still they didnt force anyone to buy it. Stealing is stealing no matter how much you try and justify it. You don't steal an apple because 'its a bit soft' and you dont steal music because your not sure if its any good. They worked for it so they deserve the cash no matter what YOUR opinion of the material is.
    Define work? Sitting in your mansion for 5 years writing a song every few months? I didn't say they forced anyone to buy it but they know damn well that their fans are going to buy whatever they put out in good faith after waiting five years and then they serve up shite. I can't imagine how anyone could feel guilty stealing from Lars Ulrich. Must be so hard churning out albums like St Anger in between auctions of his $15 million Basquiat paintings.

Like I said, an ARTIST wants his work to be appreciated more than they want it to be bought. A businessman wants the money. You think the boys from Metallica notice when some 12 year-old kid downloads their album illegally? No. They still want to sue the file-sharing companies who are actually introducing kids to their music, kids who might go on to buy the next album and pay above and beyond what they should for tour tickets.

You know the kind of musician who earns my respect, and subsequently my money? The kind that I mentioned earlier. The guy who worked his ass off and didn't make millions and told me he was just glad I heard his songs, even if I didn't pay for them. I'm damn well going to buy that album when I find it in a shop.

And yes, I would steal a soft apple from a rich man who gave soft apples to starving kids and charged them for it and then justified it by saying he bought them ribs 20 years ago :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Define work? Sitting in your mansion for 5 years writing a song every few months? I didn't say they forced anyone to buy it but they know damn well that their fans are going to buy whatever they put out in good faith after waiting five years and then they serve up shite. I can't imagine how anyone could feel guilty stealing from Lars Ulrich. Must be so hard churning out albums like St Anger in between auctions of his $15 million Basquiat paintings.

Like I said, an ARTIST wants his work to be appreciated more than they want it to be bought. A businessman wants the money. You think the boys from Metallica notice when some 12 year-old kid downloads their album illegally? No. They still want to sue the file-sharing companies who are actually introducing kids to their music, kids who might go on to buy the next album and pay above and beyond what they should for tour tickets.

You know the kind of musician who earns my respect, and subsequently my money? The kind that I mentioned earlier. The guy who worked his ass off and didn't make millions and told me he was just glad I heard his songs, even if I didn't pay for them. I'm damn well going to buy that album when I find it in a shop.

And yes, I would steal a soft apple from a rich man who gave soft apples to starving kids and charged them for it and then justified it by saying he bought them ribs 20 years ago :)

Well a lot people thought Riot Act was shit so we could say the same about Pearl Jam no? Taste is all OPINION and just because you think the last Metallica album sucked doesn't mean you can steal it or it means Metallica didn't work for it. If you honestley think they sat around and wrote a song lazily every month you dont know anything about the creative process.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    Well a lot people thought Riot Act was shit so we could say the same about Pearl Jam no? Taste is all OPINION and just because you think the last Metallica album sucked doesn't mean you can steal it or it means Metallica didn't work for it. If you honestley think they sat around and wrote a song lazily every month you dont know anything about the creative process.
    Pearl Jam have, to the best of my knowledge, never treated their fans like criminals. They've shown them respect for the duration of their career and any dubious creative decisions have been, at worst, misguided experiments, not lazy fob-offs. They have also released 8 albums since 1991, not 3 plus some cast-offs. Pearl Jam work hard and occasionally slip up. Metallica find time to throw together some songs in between multi-million dollar art auctions and suing file-sharing companies who are just bringing their music to more people.

As for your final comment there, tell me, in all honesty, do you think the 5 and a half years between Load and St Anger were necessary and filled with hard work? Does the final product suggest that?

Sorry, maybe we have different values here. As far as I'm concerned, downloading a Metallica album is a victimless crime. Trying to convince me otherwise is pointless. I have no sympathy for a person who can barely move for money and then gets pissed when some kids who worship them choose not to put their hands in their pockets for some songs that the band should really be making to be heard, not to be sold, anyway.

Yes, every musician needs to make a living. Past a certain point though, like when you've got more cars than songs, getting stressed about it seems a tad pathetic though, no?
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    mole1985 wrote:
    Well a lot people thought Riot Act was shit so we could say the same about Pearl Jam no?

That's right. riot act fucking SUCKED.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    fanch75 wrote:
    That's right. riot act fucking SUCKED.

Has it gone somewhere?

your wrong
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Enjoyed it, was quite a giggle listening to Lars.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Rich or poor artist, it’s wrong to steal.

Classic case of good point, bad presentation. On their part. It’s an honorable cause, Metallica is the wrong group to be fighting for it.

Similar to
    Kayne West maybe had valid point at ‘roo, but it was lost in the BS spewing from his mouth.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*