Just saw 311

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Worst concert Ive ever been to. The crowd was pure shit. Literally 70% of the people there were high schoolers. I swear to god, we were trying to enjoy them and a group of fucking wigger/guido drunk high schoolers were trying to start a mosh. My one friend ended up getting pissed and started punching his head and ended up throwing him down. I cannot stand younger kids, theyre so pathetic. One of the kids was saying "dude its a fuckin 311 concert, not a girl concert. Fuckin mosh man." When clearly these kids never go to concerts. They were just there to pick a fight basically.

Ontop of all of that.....the opening "band" Snoop Dog was the worst shit I ever heard. He doesnt even rap to his songs good, and half the time he was singing to the recording. Not to mention they would be playing one song and jump into another out of nowhere.

311 was decent at best. The drum solo and bass solo was sweet. Thats about it. Considering the concert I saw a month before was PJ at hartford, I wasnt expecting much. And I didnt get much, at all. After being through 311, it just makes me appreciate PJ soooo much more.

PJ crowds ar waayyyy better. Ed actually talks to the crowd. Unlike most bands who just say "can i hear you scream?" or "raise your hands for 311". Ed really connects with the crowd, any other band is just blah. Oh and PJ is way tighter at playing live.

Ive seen PJ, AIC, Rush, Primus, Incubus, and a bunch of smaller concerts. 311 was definately the worst out of all of the mainstream bands. Even Incubus blew them away. Incubus>311
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds like you're blaming 311 for the crowd. Which is stupid.
    311 encounters a very rare problem in Live Music fanbase.
    Their fanbase hasnt aged. When i went and saw Pearl Jam for the first time, most of the crown was 19-24. Now if you go, most of the crowd is 27-34. They havent aquired a lot of new fans. The fans have aged with the band. This is true of most classic rock acts.

However, for some reason, 311 fans are still a shit ton of high schoolers. And yes, they do kinda suck. They still go to concerts to get as fucked up as possible, and to "dance" and slam and fight their way to the front of the stage. It can make a 311 show not that much fun sometimes. Having said that, i very much have enjoyed the actual 311 show part of it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think you're painting that age group with the wrong brush. I'm 17, and if there's a mosh, I'll either join in, or respectfully get out of it. If people want to do it, more power to 'em IMO, I'll avoid it. Personally, I prefer jumping up and down like a mad man, but to each is own.

In fact, the biggest asshole's I've met at concerts were a group of 40-50 year olds who didn't want me standing at a General Admission James Taylor concert.

And I saw Snoop a couple weeks ago at a festival. Was he good? no. Was it a good time? yes!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Sounds like you're blaming 311 for the crowd. Which is stupid.
    311 encounters a very rare problem in Live Music fanbase.
    Their fanbase hasnt aged. When i went and saw Pearl Jam for the first time, most of the crown was 19-24. Now if you go, most of the crowd is 27-34. They havent aquired a lot of new fans. The fans have aged with the band. This is true of most classic rock acts.
    very true
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • I think you're painting that age group with the wrong brush. I'm 17, and if there's a mosh, I'll either join in, or respectfully get out of it. If people want to do it, more power to 'em IMO, I'll avoid it. Personally, I prefer jumping up and down like a mad man, but to each is own.

In fact, the biggest asshole's I've met at concerts were a group of 40-50 year olds who didn't want me standing at a General Admission James Taylor concert.

And I saw Snoop a couple weeks ago at a festival. Was he good? no. Was it a good time? yes!

Yes jerk off. I obviously stated EVERY 17 year old at a concert behaves poorly. Everyone of them. No exceptions. Every one of you. That was my entire point.

I just love how anytime you make an obvious generalization on a message board it turns into "Im in that catagory, but im not like that!"
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Ok, I wasnt trying to blame 311 for the crowd. I moved to a different area and it was fine. But these kids in front of us were literally there to just start a fight. Is that cool? NO.

Another thing that made the concert worse was their sound quality. Ive seen rush and incubus there and 311 had the worst sound out of the 3. The singers voices were no way near loud enough and everything sounded garbled. The drums were also very low in the mix. But even if everything was good, they still do not compare to alot of other bands Ive seen live. And their set was pretty short.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    311 and Snoop both suck....

With that said....I always think its funny when a "pit" starts at the wrong concert.

I was at the "smokeout" festival a few years back and it was a bunch of hip hop acts. They happened to mix in "Superjoint Ritual" (former Pantera lead singer). All the stoners were running to the hills when a massive circle pit erupted. Classic!

Totally irrelevant but....carry on
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • substitutesubstitute Posts: 14
    Wow, I remember going to see bands when I was a teenager and all I wanted to do was mosh, crowd surf and stage dive. Thank Ament I never ran in to any old bastards who didnt want the kids to have fun.

I don't mind other guys dancing with my girl
    That's fine, I know them all pretty well
    But I know sometimes I must get out in the light
    Better leave her behind with the kids, they're alright
    The kids are alright
    I don't need what you have to give
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yes jerk off. I obviously stated EVERY 17 year old at a concert behaves poorly. Everyone of them. No exceptions. Every one of you. That was my entire point.

I just love how anytime you make an obvious generalization on a message board it turns into "Im in that catagory, but im not like that!"
    All I'm sayin is, if people wanna mosh, let 'em do it. I tend not too, so I just avoid it. Most of the time, when it doesn't 'pick up', the most dies pretty quickly anyways.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • hmmm...well they were good 10 years ago. really all i remember was that my friend got kicked out for getting thrown over the rails when crowd surfing. good times.
  • myhookmyhook Posts: 284
    I was at 311 last night as well and had a different experience. I sat in sec 101 so i didn't have to deal with the "mosh pit" BS on the lawn. I am 30 years old and have been a 311 fan almost as long as I have been a PJ fan. I had a god time at the show last night and enjoyed the set. Yeah, it was only 20 songs and they played for 1 1/2 hr but comparing their set to PJ is unfair. PJ is one of the rare bands that play 25-30 3 hour sets.
    Hey, you wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the jon so why do you let these hooligans tear down the biz? YEEAAHHH. I don't care if he is Mr. Notorious BIG, can he croon?
  • I just happenend to be rockin' out to some Grassroots when I saw this post. I fuckin' love 311. I was just at the Mansfield show two nights ago and they fuckin rocked and the crowd was great. Yeah, there were more teens than at a PJ show, but its a little different atmosphere. You have to approach shows a little differently, especially when the music is as different as PJ and 311 are. And like stated above, you can't compare shows like 311 and PJ either. There aren't too many bands that play 2 1/2 - 3 hour shows anymore. PJ is a rare exception. Go in with the right mindset and 311 shows are a fuckin' blast. I've been to 6 shows and I haven't been disappointed yet. They pour a lot of energy into the show and should be given some props for the amount of touring they do year after year. 311 UNITY!
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i was at lastnight's show too, and it was my first time seeing 311 live, and i really enjoyed it. i was shocked to see how young their fan base was.

before the show my friend and i tried tailgating, but the state troopers told us to pack up and head towards the gate... there would be no tailgating at all. after talking to them for a few minutes, they said that PNC only enforced that rule for 5 shows the entire summer. i guess 311 was one of the five because i'd say more than half of the fan base was under 21????

as i said, i really enjoyed it. but i wasn't on the lawn so i didn't have to deal with all of the assholes.

very little interaction between the band and the fans. they kind of have a shut up and rock mentality, which isn't a bad thing. i'd rather hear them play some tunes, then try to enlighten the crowd with their politcal views.

• very little interaction between the band and the fans. they kind of have a shut up and rock mentality, which isn't a bad thing. i'd rather hear them play some tunes, then try to enlighten the crowd with their politcal views.

Thats in stark contrast to the 311 shows i have seen. The first time i saw them they played Come Original (the single at the time), Down, and All Mixed up in the first 4 songs, and basically said that should get rid of the greatest hits fans.

They also are the only band to routinely do a "cheer off" from their fans to choose between which of 2 songs to play. I also saw them stop a show because of a rowdy fan in the front. I would definatly say they pay quite a bit of attention to the fans at the shows, usually at least.
  • Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    311 is definitely solid live. I'll admit their fans can be obnoxious sometimes, but theres always that chance at any show ya go to. I love the concept of 311 day and wish more bands would try ideas like that.
    That being said, their setlists for this tour are god awful. 19 or so songs which the vast majority are just staples at this point. 4 years ago they were playing 25+ a night with a good amount of variety. I just can't imagine going to anything but 311 day at this point now.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
    Sonic19 wrote:
    311 is definitely solid live. I'll admit their fans can be obnoxious sometimes, but theres always that chance at any show ya go to. I love the concept of 311 day and wish more bands would try ideas like that.
    That being said, their setlists for this tour are god awful. 19 or so songs which the vast majority are just staples at this point. 4 years ago they were playing 25+ a night with a good amount of variety. I just can't imagine going to anything but 311 day at this point now.
    That is a good point, the idea of 311 day is very cool. I have never been but have heard nothing but good things. The other thing I like about 311 is they are like PJ in the sense they keep a good track of setlists and tour stats. Here was the setlist from PNC. Yeah, some of these songs are staples but songs like Freak Out, Transistor, Full Ride, Don't Stay Home have only been played a few times on this tour.

1. Beautiful Disaster
    2. Freak Out
    3. You Wouldn’t Believe
    4. Freeze Time
    5. Transistor
    6. Taiyed
    7. Love Song
    8. Come Original
    9. All Mixed Up
    10. Full Ride
    11. Amber
    12. Applied Science*
    13. What Was I Thinking
    14. Beyond The Gray Sky
    15. Offbeat Bare Ass
    16. Down
    17. Don’t Stay Home
    18. Creatures (For A While)
    e:
    19. Omaha Stylee (*on setlist but never played)
    20. Who’s Got The Herb?
    21. Feels So Good
    Hey, you wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the jon so why do you let these hooligans tear down the biz? YEEAAHHH. I don't care if he is Mr. Notorious BIG, can he croon?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505

I cannot stand younger kids, theyre so pathetic.
    Not exactly a generalization there...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    myhook wrote:
    That is a good point, the idea of 311 day is very cool. I have never been but have heard nothing but good things. The other thing I like about 311 is they are like PJ in the sense they keep a good track of setlists and tour stats. Here was the setlist from PNC. Yeah, some of these songs are staples but songs like Freak Out, Transistor, Full Ride, Don't Stay Home have only been played a few times on this tour.

1. Beautiful Disaster
    2. Freak Out
    3. You Wouldn’t Believe
    4. Freeze Time
    5. Transistor
    6. Taiyed
    7. Love Song
    8. Come Original
    9. All Mixed Up
    10. Full Ride
    11. Amber
    12. Applied Science*
    13. What Was I Thinking
    14. Beyond The Gray Sky
    15. Offbeat Bare Ass
    16. Down
    17. Don’t Stay Home
    18. Creatures (For A While)
    e:
    19. Omaha Stylee (*on setlist but never played)
    20. Who’s Got The Herb?
    21. Feels So Good
    I feel like they've just gotten complacent at this point. When they're doing over 3/4 staples it doesn't give a lot of reason to keep going out. And for the point i was making earlier, look at this NJ set from 03 (or just any set from a few years ago) and tell me which one looks better.

Stanhope, New Jersey
    @ Waterloo Village
    <<8.15.03>>

"Are You Ready" Intro
    1. Freak Out
    2. Lucky
    3. Reconsider Everything
    4. Taiyed
    5. Other Side of Things
    6. Prisoner
    7. Crack the Code
    8. Beyond the Gray Sky
    9. Eons
    10. T & P Combo
    11. Strong All Along
    12. Applied Science*
    13. Don't Dwell
    14. All Re-Mixed Up
    15. Plain
    16. Sweet
    17. Still Dreaming
    18. Beautiful Disaster
    19. Give Me a Call
    20. Unity
    21. Hydroponic
    22. Omaha Stylee
    23. Feels So Good
    e1:
    24. Creatures (For a While)**
    25. Down***
    e2:
    26. Who's Got the Herb****
    27. Fuck the Bullshit#
    Hooray Florida shows
    Sonic19 wrote:
    I feel like they've just gotten complacent at this point. When they're doing over 3/4 staples it doesn't give a lot of reason to keep going out. And for the point i was making earlier, look at this NJ set from 03 (or just any set from a few years ago) and tell me which one looks better.

Stanhope, New Jersey
    @ Waterloo Village
    <<8.15.03>>

"Are You Ready" Intro
    1. Freak Out
    2. Lucky
    3. Reconsider Everything
    4. Taiyed
    5. Other Side of Things
    6. Prisoner
    7. Crack the Code
    8. Beyond the Gray Sky
    9. Eons
    10. T & P Combo
    11. Strong All Along
    12. Applied Science*
    13. Don't Dwell
    14. All Re-Mixed Up
    15. Plain
    16. Sweet
    17. Still Dreaming
    18. Beautiful Disaster
    19. Give Me a Call
    20. Unity
    21. Hydroponic
    22. Omaha Stylee
    23. Feels So Good
    e1:
    25. Down***
    e2:
    27. Fuck the Bullshit#

I was at that show as well, that set is flat out awesome IMO. Plus G.Love and Special Sauce opened for them that year so it was 2 for 2 for me!!!! As much as I defend 311 I think you got a great point. They do seem to come out on stage play what they have to play and leave. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it any less but I can see why people would be turned off to that.
    myhook wrote:
    I was at that show as well, that set is flat out awesome IMO. Plus G.Love and Special Sauce opened for them that year so it was 2 for 2 for me!!!! As much as I defend 311 I think you got a great point. They do seem to come out on stage play what they have to play and leave. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it any less but I can see why people would be turned off to that.
    Yeah, I would definitely start going back out to FL shows if they just got back to that level. Of course, having gone to the last 2 311 days, I'll never miss one of those :)
    Hooray Florida shows
    Sonic19 wrote:
    Yeah, I would definitely start going back out to FL shows if they just got back to that level. Of course, having gone to the last 2 311 days, I'll never miss one of those :)
    I have never been to a 311 day but am DYING to go. Maybe 2010.
  • adam42381 wrote:
    Not exactly a generalization there...

Yes, it would be a generalization.
    and if you make up quotes, then its easy to make someone look bad.

like so...
    adam42381 wrote:
    I really think that I should attend Hannah Montana concerts. Not because i like the music, but because i like the fan base. There is nothing quite as much fun as raping an 8 year old girl while her mother is forced to watch.

Boy You're a Sick Fuck!
  • myhook wrote:
    I have never been to a 311 day but am DYING to go. Maybe 2010.

DO IT! I went to 311 Day this year and it was spectacular. Made the trek from Upstate and am definately going to do it again in 2010! UNITY!
  • Sonic19 wrote:

Stanhope, New Jersey
    @ Waterloo Village
    <<8.15.03>>

"Are You Ready" Intro
    1. Freak Out
    2. Lucky
    3. Reconsider Everything
    4. Taiyed
    5. Other Side of Things
    6. Prisoner
    7. Crack the Code
    8. Beyond the Gray Sky
    9. Eons
    10. T & P Combo
    11. Strong All Along
    12. Applied Science*
    13. Don't Dwell
    14. All Re-Mixed Up
    15. Plain
    16. Sweet
    17. Still Dreaming
    18. Beautiful Disaster
    19. Give Me a Call
    20. Unity
    21. Hydroponic
    22. Omaha Stylee
    23. Feels So Good
    e1:
    25. Down***
    e2:
    27. Fuck the Bullshit#

That is a fuckin' TIGHT setlist. I would die to see a regular show like that. I have seen some good ones, like Burlington, VT (3/19/2008), but nothing like this. Solid set and they really gave the fans their monies worth here. This set has some of my favorite songs. I am jealous you got this.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I have the same problem with 311 live as I do Pearl Jam . . . . .

Mix up the God Damn drum solo!!!! rant over :)
    NERDS!
    That is a fuckin' TIGHT setlist. I would die to see a regular show like that. I have seen some good ones, like Burlington, VT (3/19/2008), but nothing like this. Solid set and they really gave the fans their monies worth here. This set has some of my favorite songs. I am jealous you got this.
    Oh I wish I saw that set too, just pointing it out to the other guy. I did get this one however:

[0:58] 01. Intro
    [4:19] 02. Freak Out
    [3:24] 03. Homebrew
    [3:02] 04. Reconsider Everything
    [4:32] 05. Welcome
    [5:05] 06. All Mixed Up
    [3:56] 07. Freeze Time
    [3:17] 08. Don't Dwell
    [3:38] 09. Silver
    [3:12] 10. Prisoner
    [4:00] 11. Visit
    [3:48] 12. Love Song