any good GD suggestions?

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Lately I have had the urge to just chill out to some grateful dead but I don't own any of their CD's.

I know a few of their songs (by ear, not name) because I saw Dark Star Orchestra 3 times, so I'm sure whatever anyone recommends I would recognize some of it.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Should I start out with one of their better albums, or should I buy a live CD. I know they have plenty of them. Whats a good era for them?
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    As for studio albums first two you should buy would be "American Beauty" & "Workingmans Dead" ...... i think most Dead fans would agree with them choices.

Live albums, so many what with Dicks Pick etc, but an essential is Europe 72, great album....

72 - 74 were great Dead years
    " I demand to have more booze "
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    loser
    I can't tell if you're suggesting the song or talking shit...
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Get Europe '72 so you can listen to He's Gone, Sugar Magnolia, Truckin', and a great Good Lovin'. American Beauty is also a fantastic place to start. Box of Rain singlehandedly sold me on the Dead on the first listen.

Right now I'm listening to Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Scarlet Begonias from 05/08/1977 Ithaca, NY.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    gleemonex wrote:
    Right now I'm listening to Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Scarlet Begonias from 05/08/1977 Ithaca, NY.

There's nothing like a good Scarlet --> Fire. Although seeing Help on the Way --> Slipknot! --> Franklins Tower was pretty damn good too.

Start with American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Live/Dead is good place to go for a good intro in early live dead, and Europe 72 smokes too.

Hundred Year Hall and Go To Nassau are some other good live albums.

Steer clear of Dylan and the Dead though!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    europe 72? ok. what about Aoxomoa or whatever that album is....I like the jam songs at the end of the album.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    heheh...the song.

Good call, the self titled Garcia album is very good, with Deal, Loser, To Lay Me Down, The Wheel.

Can't say as much for the rest of Jerry's solo output, but the first solo disc is great.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    gleemonex wrote:
    One of the best recordings ever!! A great place to start is One From The Vault and Two From The Vault.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    nope.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    :D couldnt help myself.

the only thing by the dead i have is American Beauty, and i love it, so it must be a good place to start.

im gonna hijack these suggestions and check the band out more
  • Buy lots of acid.

i hear it makes the music amazing
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    merkinball wrote:
    There's nothing like a good Scarlet --> Fire. Although seeing Help on the Way --> Slipknot! --> Franklins Tower was pretty damn good too.

Start with American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Live/Dead is good place to go for a good intro in early live dead, and Europe 72 smokes too.

Hundred Year Hall and Go To Nassau are some other good live albums.

Steer clear of Dylan and the Dead though!

Id agree with all of that; great places to start.

afterwarrds, you can start getting into Dicks Picks
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I've always found Mars Hotel to be my favorite chill record of theirs, hands down.

I highly reccomend it!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”