Just started listening to AIC again

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Shits fucking depressing...listening to nutshell now. It makes me even more sad for layne now that Im listening to it again for the first time in almost a year. Anyone listen to the closing track "all alone" on mad season? My mom told me today it creeps her out, she said it sounds like layne is already dead in the song chanting, I completely agree.
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I hear what you're saying. You should really listen to the version of Nutshell on the Unplugged CD.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I hear what you're saying. You should really listen to the version of Nutshell on the Unplugged CD.

Got the dvd man. I know it all. AIC used to be my favorite band a little over a year ago, then I just stopped listening to to them because it was depressing me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    AIC are the best band outta Seattle. Some people might say its depressing. Some find it uplifiting. To know someone else is going thru what there going thru. Layne did write positive songs too. Listen to Wake up from Mad Season.
  • AIC is def one of my top 5 bands

i miss Layne :(

What The Hell Have I & Dirt are two of my favorites but i guess those would be categorized under depressing.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I get on AIC kicks every now and then. What a great band. Unplugged is amazing. I think the music is depressing but so beautiful at the same time. Everytime I listen to them I think how much I really wish Layne was still around.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Shits fucking depressing...listening to nutshell now. It makes me even more sad for layne now that Im listening to it again for the first time in almost a year. Anyone listen to the closing track "all alone" on mad season? My mom told me today it creeps her out, she said it sounds like layne is already dead in the song chanting, I completely agree.

I feel the same way about the "all alone" track off of Mad Season. It gives me chills to listen to that tune...very haunting
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Jar of Flies...Best EP hands down..........
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    release30 wrote:
    Jar of Flies...Best EP hands down..........

don't forget Sap.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    suns rival wrote:
    don't forget Sap.

I'll still take Jar of flies over sap.
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I get on AIC kicks every now and then. What a great band. Unplugged is amazing. I think the music is depressing but so beautiful at the same time. Everytime I listen to them I think how much I really wish Layne was still around.
    I miss Layne too. The music is great, and the lyrics are dark.

I am really looking forward to their new stuff.............
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    AIC is band #3 on my faves list...they were amazing...

It is a little depressing to listen to them sometimes.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    i think "down in a hole" is one of the most depressing songs ever even though it's in my list of all time greatest songs ever.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Brain Of E wrote:
    i think "down in a hole" is one of the most depressing songs ever even though it's in my list of all time greatest songs ever.

agreed.., I cry every time I see layne sing that in unplugged..

also, the ending to "frogs" is pretty creepy with Layne predicting his own death..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I no longer relate to the lyrics so I rarely listen, but there was certainly a time...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    AIC were my favourite band in the world for a long time and it coincided with some of the more important years of my short life and I love that band to bits but I rarely listen to them now and I don't know why. I think it's a combination of moving on in terms of taste in music, wearing them out from over-listening and just the fact that I find listening to Layne overwhelmingly sad and it weighs too heavily on me to derive a great deal of enjoyment out of it any more.

I have had such amazing times listening to AIC, enjoyed such beautiful songs and felt a greater connection with them than pretty much any other band but I feel like it's a chapter of my life that is in the past now and I think back fondly but don't really get anything out of it any more. I remember listening to them for the first time when I bought Dirt and I obviously fell in love with it and Layne was already dead. As I listening more and came to love the band more and felt a connection with Layne's music, I found it harder and harder to listen to. When I was new to the band, they were just songs but when I came to love the band, they sort of perversely became hard to listen to.

I still come back to them occasionally and I will listen to Nutshell on April 5th probably every year for as long as I listen to music but I wonder if I'll ever listen to them in the same way I used to :o

Songs like Nutshell, Shame in You, Down in a Hole, Rain When I die and Mad Season's River of Deceit, Wake Up and All Alone are some of my all-time favourites, songs I will love forever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    they are incredible..

their mtv unplugged show comes out every april 5th.
  • SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    what's amazing is to listen to their stuff in chronological order, starting with their demos when they sounded like another 80s hair/metal band, and you can hear in the music the progression of staley's drug addiction and his battles with it in each subsequent album - all the way to the end.

With Cantrell's note-bending guitar and music writing and his lyrics and staley's creeped out voice, Dirt is the most wicked, darkest, deepest album I've ever heard. And it's beautiful and depressing all at once. Awesome stuff.

Cantrell gets so overlooked, too. it's a shame. his solo albums are great.

Nutshell off Jar of Flies - and I agree, the live, unplugged Down in a Hole - are rare songs that make you nearly wanna cry.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Nutshell off Jar of Flies - and I agree, the live, unplugged Down in a Hole - are rare songs that make you nearly wanna cry.

Couldn't agree more! In my opinion, Alice in Chains' music really came alive when they slowed it down, ie. on Jar of Flies and Unplugged. But their other albums are just as amazing, I just find the slower ones more moving.

Amazing band, RIP Layne.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I still come back to them occasionally and I will listen to Nutshell on April 5th probably every year for as long as I listen to music but I wonder if I'll ever listen to them in the same way I used to :o

I'm similar when it comes to this band....

they were a truly talented band, and their music got me through some stuff when I was a teenager and soundtracked a particular time of my life that I will always remember and cherish, but these days I just find them so hard to listen to.....their music has nothing in common with the man I am today and the emotions they stir in me are mostly negative - their music (with the exception of Nutshell) just gets me down to much to enjoy it.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton