Nick Cave and The Bad Seed

stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Anyone into them around here?
I have always been fascinated by the man himself and have read a few of his books,saw interviews and tv performances.Had heard some music but not a huge amount.But recently bought Murder Ballads I remembered seeing him on Jools Holland doing a blistering version of Stagger Lee with P.J Harvey.
I also bought Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus.
I have been really impressed with them,I love his voice and have been playing them none stop.
Anyone have opinions and recommendations of other albums to check out?
“There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    What books have you read? What would you recommend first? He seems like a very interesting person. I have read a bunch of Rollins' books and he always mentions him.

In addition to what you have, I also have The Boatman's Call, the Grinderman release and a live Birthday Party Comp. I recommend the first 2 highly. Boatmans Call is a very mellow affair and the Grinderman is full on sleaze rock. The Birthday Party I enjoy however not enough to recommend it.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    transplant wrote:
    What books have you read? What would you recommend first? He seems like a very interesting person. I have read a bunch of Rollins' books and he always mentions him.

In addition to what you have, I also have The Boatman's Call, the Grinderman release and a live Birthday Party Comp. I recommend the first 2 highly. Boatmans Call is a very mellow affair and the Grinderman is full on sleaze rock. The Birthday Party I enjoy however not enough to recommend it.
    Why wouldn't you recommend The Birthday Party? Incredible band. Sure, it might not be what people who have only heard The Boatman's Call might expect but it's amazing nonetheless.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Why wouldn't you recommend The Birthday Party? Incredible band. Sure, it might not be what people who have only heard The Boatman's Call might expect but it's amazing nonetheless.
    well, you pretty much stated the exact reason why. From what the OP listed, I'd imagine the Boatmans Call and the Grinderman release would be better pickups...for now.
  • For some reason I haven't gotten into Grinderman yet... I'll have to give that record another spin soon. But I can't wait to grab Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! in a week.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    one of my favorite artists.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    by their new one, murder ballads and possibly no more shall we part...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • glasshouse wrote:
    one of my favorite artists.

def
    11/01/96 warsaw
    06/15/00 katowice
    06/16/00 katowice
    09/22/06 prague
    09/23/06 berlin
    09/25/06 vienna
    06/13/07 chorzow
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    transplant wrote:

I have read,King Ink 1 & 2,And the Ass Saw the Angel,Bad Seed,Biography,Fish in a Barrel:On tour with Nick Cave and the Bad Seed.Ive read loads of Rollins too and yes he often mentions Cave.
    Just surprised myself that I have read so much of his books but had little knowledge of his music catalogue.
    I loved King Ink and And the Ass Saw the Angel.
    Thanks for all the music recommendations folks.Will def check them out.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Certainly Tender Prey is the ultimate essential Cave album. The Mercy Seat is just one of the most amazing songs ever. The lyrics blow my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6RML0YHOm8

And the mercy seat is burning
    And I think my head is glowing
    And in a way I'm hoping
    To be done with all this weighing up of truth.
    An eye for an eye
    And a tooth for a tooth
    And I've got nothing left to lose
    And I'm not afraid to die.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Seeds*