Back Door Slam

HatredThrownDownHatredThrownDown Posts: 292
edited May 2008 in Other Music
stumbled across this band playing on a side stage at lolla. I know they just released Roll it Away. can't find it anywhere on the net. anyone else think their set was really good?
Fav. Bands
My Morning Jacket
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
Wilco
Tool
Rush
Drive By Truckers

pj shows
8/17/98
8/15/00
8/18/00
8/20/00
6/22/03
10/2/04
8/5/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I saw a vid on youtube, absoutley amazing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I'm loving these guys...if you haven't already, give them a listen!
    I've read that there is a good recording of them live at Proud Larry's in Oxford, MS....does anyone have it or any other live recording in mp3?
    Looking forward to seeing them at Bonnaroo
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    at first i thought this thread was about the Doors song "Back Door Man" but with a type-o. and if you don't know what that's about you need to find out.
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    at first i thought this thread was about the Doors song "Back Door Man" but with a type-o. and if you don't know what that's about you need to find out.

I think it is from "Since I've Been Loving You" from Led Zepp 3.

"I open my front door, I hear my back door slam,
    You know I must have one of them new fangled,
    new fangled back doors maaaaaan."

Definitely one of my fav Zeppelin tunes!

Sadly, I missed their set at Lolla.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
    Spectacular band. I had the oppritunity to jam with Davy a few months ago and it was absoutley the coolest thing I've ever done!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=396000&l=71df4&id=512465746

And the name is stolen from a Robert Cray song called Back Door Slam.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Spectacular band. I had the oppritunity to jam with Davy a few months ago and it was absoutley the coolest thing I've ever done!

That's awesome. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    That's awesome. :)
    Ya, the guitar he's playin is a 1934 National, and the one I'm playin is one someone brought in for him to try out. Ross and Adam went to go play soccer with my brother, and he said 'try out that one, tell me what you think' and before you know it we were bashin out some Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, or just straight up blues!
  • Ya, the guitar he's playin is a 1934 National, and the one I'm playin is one someone brought in for him to try out. Ross and Adam went to go play soccer with my brother, and he said 'try out that one, tell me what you think' and before you know it we were bashin out some Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, or just straight up blues!

Were you a fan before that? Cos if you weren't, that's the kinda thing that'll make you a fan for life. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Spectacular band. I had the oppritunity to jam with Davy a few months ago and it was absoutley the coolest thing I've ever done!

that is really cool. how did you meet davy? did he just knock on your day one day and say let's jam?
    that is really cool. how did you meet davy? did he just knock on your day one day and say let's jam?
    My uncle's their tour manager and said 'Check out this band'... Well I bought the CD and was absolutley blown away, honestly he became one of my biggest influences. So they came around Vermont in January and my brother and dad went but I couldn't go because of exams. They came back in March, but my Uncle was away because his sons were being born, regardless I was able to go. Basically I was at the venue same time as the band showed up (pre planned through my uncle) and helped them set up the stage, merch (my mom sold merch that night haha!), basically being part of the crew. I chilled with them after that, had dinner, etc... That was taken a few hours before the show. Honestly, the guys in the band could not be any nicer or more down to earth. I was obviously very nervous meeting one of my favourite guitarists out there, but once I was talking to him, he didn't make it seem like he was the big musician and I was some 17 year old, it seemed like we we're two guitarists just chillin out. He seemed truly interested in what I had to say about the custom guitar, as we got quite involved in the conversation. We taught eachother a couple of songs, it was spectacular. They're coming to the Ottawa Bluesfest this summer, so I'll be chillin with them then as well.

PS After the gig my brother and I played soccer with Adam (bassist) in the bar, tons of fun!
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    My uncle's their tour manager and said 'Check out this band'... Well I bought the CD and was absolutley blown away, honestly he became one of my biggest influences. So they came around Vermont in January and my brother and dad went but I couldn't go because of exams. They came back in March, but my Uncle was away because his sons were being born, regardless I was able to go. Basically I was at the venue same time as the band showed up (pre planned through my uncle) and helped them set up the stage, merch (my mom sold merch that night haha!), basically being part of the crew. I chilled with them after that, had dinner, etc... That was taken a few hours before the show. Honestly, the guys in the band could not be any nicer or more down to earth. I was obviously very nervous meeting one of my favourite guitarists out there, but once I was talking to him, he didn't make it seem like he was the big musician and I was some 17 year old, it seemed like we we're two guitarists just chillin out. He seemed truly interested in what I had to say about the custom guitar, as we got quite involved in the conversation. We taught eachother a couple of songs, it was spectacular. They're coming to the Ottawa Bluesfest this summer, so I'll be chillin with them then as well.

PS After the gig my brother and I played soccer with Adam (bassist) in the bar, tons of fun!

that is cool! you are so lucky!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    BDS is great! One question... why do chicks generally not like this kind of music? :confused:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • stumbled across this band playing on a side stage at lolla. I know they just released Roll it Away. can't find it anywhere on the net. anyone else think their set was really good?
    Wow thats my mates band,back door slam,from the isle of man in the uk,small world,realy good band.
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
    imalive wrote:
    BDS is great! One question... why do chicks generally not like this kind of music? :confused:
    I saw a lotta cute girls in the vermont crowd.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    I just downloaded this. VERY good!! One thing is driving me crazy, though... to me, Davey's voice sounds just like someone else. Who????? Jonny Lang? Trower's guy, James Dewar? One of KWS's many singers? Charlie Sexton? 38 Special? :p The Molly Hatchet guy? :p Help me out! It's driving me mad!!
    imalive wrote:

I was basing this on the youtube of "Red House." Chicks generally would like Roll Away. :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Just saw them again tonight. Guys, Davy's getting better. It's scary how good he is.