Radiohead's New Record

2»

Comments

• jwillmo wrote:
    I hate to rub it in, but I went to that show at Bayou Place (now the Verizon) when I was 18, and it was by far the best show I've ever been to, ever. And I've seen PJ 7 times. They basically played all of The Bends & OK Computer, as well as a couple of b-sides.
    Only thing is I wasn't a huge fan then, I wish I could go back and relive that show now that they're my (second) favorite band. They played Exit Music (For a Film) and I've never seen a crowd in such quiet awe in my life. It was fucking amazing.
    Again, sorry. I just had to mention it. The Amnesiac-era show at the Woodlands was good, but not as great as that one.

The Woodlands show was my first Radiohead show. I thought it was fucking amazing. They closed that show with The Bends, which I'm sure we won't hear much anymore. I saw them live only once more in New Orleans in 2003, and that was even better. They fucking played Climbing Up The Walls which is my favorite Radiohead song ever. It was insane. They are incredible and just as good live as PJ. It's quite different than PJ in that instead of a soaring Mike solo, you get insane Johnny guitar antics or Johnny fucking with an analog switchboard...which is fucking sweet.
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    brainofPJ wrote:
    holy shite.
    Dug up the setlist:

1. Airbag
    2. Talk Show Host
    3. Karma Police
    4. Exit Music (for a film)
    5. My Iron Lung
    6. Planet Telex
    7. Subterranean Homesick Alien
    8. Lucky
    9. No Surprises
    10. Just
    11. Climbing Up The Walls
    12. Fake Plastic Trees
    13. Pearly
    14. Lurgee
    15. Bones
    16. Paranoid Android
    17. (Nice Dream)
    18. Banana Co.
    19. Street Spirit (Fade out)
    20. The Bends
    21. The Tourist

Holy shite indeed.
  • Pearly...wow. And (Nice Dream)? Lucky bitch.
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    Pearly...wow. And (Nice Dream)? Lucky bitch.
    Being a radio-whore teen and not yet the Radiohead fan that I am now, I remember the first thing I said after the show was, "I can't believe they didn't play Creep... and I don't care!" I think that show turned a corner for me as a music fan in general.
  • I haven't heard the new one yet, but I didn't much care for Hail to the Thief and absolutely hated Thom Yorke's solo album. It's funny, when Coldplay came out, everyone said they were the new Radiohead, and now I kind of feel like Radiohead are the new Coldplay. They've drifted ever closer to the middle of the road. From what folks are saying about these songs, it doesn't sound too promising.
  • It's funny, when Coldplay came out, everyone said they were the new Radiohead, and now I kind of feel like Radiohead are the new Coldplay.

Most backwards statement of the year. Absolutley not. Radiohead's new album is LIGHTYEARS ahead of anything Coldplay could possibly put out.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    on my 1st listen...so far, so good. damn good, that is.

just wish PJ would have gone more in this direction (not musically) than the u2 direction when they were free-agents...i prefer to NOT see too much of them around mainstream media.

btw, i bought the discbox, and am greatly anticipating the sweet vinyl and bonus disc, plus whatever the hell else is on there. just wish the US dollar was worth more than shit so it wasn't so expensive.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Speaking of PJ...

If anyone didn't know, "In Rainbows" was recorded using the Binaural technique. The one and the same.
  • FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Well I for one think it kicks ass. It aint Ok Computer, but it's good. Better than Hail.

If anyone cares at all, I wrote up a review for my job...
    http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/04648845/radiohead_in_rainbows_review.html

And oh yeah, eff Coldplay.
  • I'm really not one to flame...I try to respect everybody's opinion and give props to those I find myself in accord with...but the comparisons to Coldplay are unwarranted. Coldplay are a bunch of pap artists on level with Nickelback or Yanni. Radiohead is, for my generation, one of the handful of bands with any passing relevance. They're arguable, but let's throw Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, REM, the Peppers and the assorted few solo artists on there. Like I said, arguable, but to those who follow music outside of the Random Notes pages of Rolling Stone, there really aren't that many bands of that caliber. Anybody who feels "Radiohead is the new Coldplay" is missing chromosones. At least one, and maybe two.
  • Let me add...there are plenty of bands musically, lyrically and emotionally on a level with any of the ones I mentioned. But really, when it gets down to it, the 60's boil down to the Beatles, the Stones, Jimi, the Doors, Floyd and Zeppelin. Everybody else is some sort of hanging out on the side of the junior high dance waiting for an invite that ain't coming. I put Radiohead, Nirvana and Pj on top for the last fifteen years...nobody else comes close to combining artistic relevance, capturing a piece of the pop culture pie, rocking our asses off, not giving a shit about the establishment (outwardly), selling records, putting on an incredible live show and having CHARISMA that lends itself to eventual myth...
  • i love it! listened to it from beginning to end atleast 9 times today! :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I haven't heard the new one yet, but I didn't much care for Hail to the Thief and absolutely hated Thom Yorke's solo album. It's funny, when Coldplay came out, everyone said they were the new Radiohead, and now I kind of feel like Radiohead are the new Coldplay. They've drifted ever closer to the middle of the road. From what folks are saying about these songs, it doesn't sound too promising.
    and anyone who hated the eraser should not be allowed an opinion... this must win the award for worst comment on this board hands down...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I truly respect all opinions but in my honest opinion there is no point of comparison between Radiohead and Coldplay..no need to go further on the comment.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    hguz73 wrote:
    there is no point of comparison between Radiohead and Coldplay..no need to go further on the comment.

agreed.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    The album is okay, but no way near The Bends and Ok Computer. Still seems to be better than the two overrated kid a ´n´ amnesiac. They need to re-plug the guitars to make me ring. However they ara amazing live.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think they are feeling some similar backlash that Wilco did to the initial reaction of their new album release. though very different albums both are "slower" albums. Some fans seem to be not ready to embrace that.

I happen to enjoy both for what they are.

Deep down inside i do want to hear both of them rock though :)

I think the mellow overtone or melancholy overtone of the album is what has drawn the coldplay comparisons. Although i still would never compare the two personally. As far as i'm concerned the only connection is they are british.

Oh on a side note if anyone is in Atlanta tonight Liquid Jungle will be playing at the Vinyl (earthlink/centerstage whatever you call it) and they will play OK Computer from start to finish then do a set of their own. It shoud be fun.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    The Champ wrote:
    Isn't it sissy music for sissy geeks? I mean, 'In Rainbows?' 'Feels like floating on clouds?' Even if I did like them, I sure in hell wouldn't tell anyone about it..

What does this mean?
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    15 Step and Bodysnatchers are as good as it gets.
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    my favorite Radiohead album yet......it really is beautiful/fantastic/amazing
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • their best since OK Computer.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    and anyone who hated the eraser should not be allowed an opinion... this must win the award for worst comment on this board hands down...

Actually I think your pretentious comment is far worse
  • Röeghmann wrote:
    The album is okay, but no way near The Bends and Ok Computer. Still seems to be better than the two overrated kid a ´n´ amnesiac. They need to re-plug the guitars to make me ring. However they ara amazing live.

Exactly how I feel.
    They need to rock out little more, as someone said, they have 3 guitar players, let's rock a little. I think once they looked up to techno for inspiration, they lost their sound.
  • While I would love a return to the Bends era sound, this new album is amazing. Every song is a stand out for different reasons. My current favorites are All I need, Bodysnatcher, and Nude. I wish Faust Arp was a little longer then it would be one of my favorites as well.

Radiohead creates atmosphere when they make an album. If that atmosphere calls for guitars someday I'm sure they will embrace it and rock it out. Until then I am going to continue to enjoy the new album. Its my third favorite behind the big 2.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Exactly how I feel.
    They need to rock out little more, as someone said, they have 3 guitar players, let's rock a little. I think once they looked up to techno for inspiration, they lost their sound.

Like I said before, I think Johnny Greenwood is bored with guitar and would much rather write string arrangements. I don't blame him either.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    My favorite radiohead album is Kid A-- and it took me a while to really appreciate that album for what it was, with the exception of 'Everything in its Right Place,' that's some great stuff right there. I've only listened to "In Rainbows" about 4 times, and the only real conclusion I can make is that BODYSNATCHERS is awesome. What a fuckin kick ass song. There are about 4 songs I really like, a few that I find kind of boring, and a few that are decent, and start getting damn good towards the end of the song. I think it's going to take more listens to truly "get" what they were going for... It's kind of a mix of all their previous work, with some new stuff altogether-- kind of like the Avocado. I do wish there was more guitarwork in there though-- not rockin shit, or solos, but more bugged-out sonic experimentation, effects, etc... I'll give it a few dozen listens before I shelve it.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    jwillmo wrote:
    Dug up the setlist:

1. Airbag
    2. Talk Show Host
    3. Karma Police
    4. Exit Music (for a film)
    5. My Iron Lung
    6. Planet Telex
    7. Subterranean Homesick Alien
    8. Lucky
    9. No Surprises
    10. Just
    11. Climbing Up The Walls
    12. Fake Plastic Trees
    13. Pearly
    14. Lurgee
    15. Bones
    16. Paranoid Android
    17. (Nice Dream)
    18. Banana Co.
    19. Street Spirit (Fade out)
    20. The Bends
    21. The Tourist

Holy shite indeed.

wow. where the F was i?

do you have this show?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • It's incredible. I feel like I'm floating through some pinkish, purple universe when I listen to it. It's completely sublime. I don't think I've ever been so pleased with any 10 songs on an album before.

I was going to add my two cents but, I think you summed it up nicely.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!